ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,041
Motorcycle dealers POIs

My BMW dealer list in my Garmin is years out of date, and the newest I can find (which I know has errors) is BMW Motorrad's own 2010 dealer list for their Garmin Navigator. I used to manually check on dealerships by tediously comparing it to the dealers in North America as displayed on the BMW Motorcycle webpages, but it has been over three years since I last did my updates. I also have the five-year-old independent BMW shop POI list, and that has errors as well. I never tried to keep that up-to-date.

Can anyone share links to dealer POIs?

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Even when BMW Motorrad published their "new" Dealership POI Map, it was out of date and had position errors. Not a very friendly piece of work and they didn't even use the BMW roundel icon.

I have tired to keep a BMW North America Dealer Lists up to date but have not done any edits since 2010 and I know it is out dated now.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
You might try searching at POI Factory.

http://www.poi-factory.com/

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
FredRydr OP

The BMW dealers file on poi factory was originally maintained by a guy I kept in contact with through his web link to the file. I created the poi list for Triumph dealers in the USA and Canada with addresses, phone numbers and icons, but I didn't want to maintain it. I asked if he wanted to add it to his BMW list link page and maintain it, but he wrote to me that he was tired of the project and wanted someone else to take over, and his last update was to be on a date in 2007.

Fred
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
.....and his last update was to be on a date in 2007.
There are several BMW Dealer POI lists there. BMW Motorrad Dealerships in North America was last updated 7.19.2010

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 02:48 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
There are several BMW Dealer POI lists there. BMW Motorrad Dealerships in North America was last updated 7.19.2010

daryl
That's the list created for BMWNA for their Navigator. That has location errors. For the life of me, I cannot understand why BMW doesn't keep that accurate and updated every time there's a dealer change. Wouldn't it promote the sale of Navigators, and direct BMW owners to their dealers? Go figure.

Fred
Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
My BMW dealer list in my Garmin is years out of date, and the newest I can find (which I know has errors) is BMW Motorrad's own 2010 dealer list for their Garmin Navigator. I used to manually check on dealerships by tediously comparing it to the dealers in North America as displayed on the BMW Motorcycle webpages, but it has been over three years since I last did my updates. I also have the five-year-old independent BMW shop POI list, and that has errors as well. I never tried to keep that up-to-date.

Can anyone share links to dealer POIs?

I am currently on an extended road trip, but when I return home (in about two weeks), I will send you my latest BMW Dealership POI file. I created it this spring with the latest information posted by BMW Motorrad, combined with web site searches and ads in the BMW Owners News.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
FredRydr OP

Thanks, Bill. I was in the process of getting a list of 2012 dealer names, address and phone numbers through my local dealer to start updating the 2007 list (not the 2010 list which has coordinate errors), but now I shall breathe a sigh of relief!

Thanks much!

Fred
Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Anyway this can get posted someplace so we could all find it? I just got the Nav IV on the promo and the dealer I got the bike from isn't even listed! BMW Motorcycles of Pensacola Florida by the way.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Pig View Post
Anyway this can get posted someplace so we could all find it? I just got the Nav IV on the promo and the dealer I got the bike from isn't even listed! BMW Motorcycles of Pensacola Florida by the way.
+1 leaving in a few weeks for a trip and would be great to have this
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
FredRydr OP

I don't have the North America dealer list yet from the BMW regional rep, and it'll take at least two-three weeks if I spend a couple hours each day confirming every name, address, phone and map coordinates for 250-300 dealers in the USA and Canada. And, tomorrow I'm leaving for a nine-day trip, so it won't be ready before your trip or mine.

I did the Triumph list from scratch (no pre-existing GPS list), and that took two weeks with many more hours per day.

Fred
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
When I set up my BMW dealer list last February, I started by using the official, online dealer listing posted by BMW Motorrad NA. I then added new dealerships, based on advertisements in the BMW MOA's and BMW RA's magazines. I tried to check all of these entries against the dealer web sites (if they had one). In many instances, I also tried to use Google Earth to identify the dealership (some locations simply did not "look right").

My latest listing, in CSV format, is posted to my public Dropbox folder, at the link below:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32150812/GPS...2012-06-22.csv

The file includes some data fields that you may not find helpful. I used this list to create a POI file for my Garmin GPS. I wanted a sortable name field that was prefixed with the state where the dealership is located. There are a few other "strange" data fields because I was also editing the file in my POI editing program (GeePeeEx Editor).

If anyone has more accurate location data for these dealerships, please share it with me. I am more than willing to try and maintain an up-to-date for file for us. I am also willing to set up a Canadian dealership file, if there is interest.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
FredRydr OP

Hooray!

I don't have BMWNA's list yet, so I didn't start. Bill, do you have the independent shop list? It is out there, or I can send it to you. PM your email address.

Fred
Old 04-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #14
waxrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
2014 BMW dealers list

Go here for the Garmin POI.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876065

2008 BMW R1200RT
2002 BMW R1150RT
2008 Kawasaki Versys