View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #2866
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,615
I think I'm gonna stop by local BMW dealer tomorrow. Just park, get my helmet off, gloves, pull a cigarette, smoke, drop it on asphalt, step on it, squeeze it into the crack or something, take a sip of Coca-Cola, put my helmet on, gloves and ride away...

And I'm not a BMW hater - I just cannot afford 'em...

Facebook

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/

Voluhzia screwed with this post 06-19-2012 at 07:17 PM
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #2867
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia View Post
I think I'm gonna stop by local BMW dealer tomorrow. Just park, get my helmet off, gloves, pull a cigarette, smoke, drop it on asphalt, step on it, squeeze it into the crack or something, take a sip of Coca-Cola, put my helmet on, gloves and ride away...

And I'm not a BMW hater - I just cannot afford 'em...

Facebook

Pretty funny you bring that up! I was getting my Garmin 276 setup and doing it the lazy way by just getting a male Powerlet solderable adapter. Called a couple places in San Jose, CA and the only one that had stock was San Jose BMW. So, any excuse now for a road trip I make the 32 mile trek into the city. Have stopped in and chatted with the folks at this dealership a couple times and they are always pleasant, never bought anything.

Upon arriving the front of the store is on a pretty busy street so I was forced to go around the block and the only parking was on the side street amongst their models that could not fit on the floor in a makeshift lineup. There was an opening between two of the bikes that would fit my TigEx so I parked it between their BMW's. As I did the owner\sales manager stops talking to a client and kind looks at me with this sort of whimsical look, kind of wth is that you're riding? And why you parking it amongst our bikes? I did chuckle to myself a bit as I got off the bike and removed my helmet. I was just grateful to get the damn Powerlet adapter to get my GPS working.

K.B.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #2868
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 346
SW Motech Quick release frames

Well, had a delivery this afternoon

Fitting the SW Motech QR racks with Givi adapters straight forward... but a word of warning ... the nylon blocks have two M6 bolts and a pair of self tapping grub screws.... the grub screws are made of cheese managed to snap the heads off two of them BEFORE they were fully screwed in.... the up side is that they don't seem to be doing a great deal anyway....

fitted with 2x 33L Trekkers... the hinged flip top is handy too! the side case can be used as a top case

Measured them, and they're within 10mm of the width of the handguards ( the mirrors stick out a bit further, making the boxes narrower than the width of the mirrors)

Old 06-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #2869
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post

Fitting the SW Motech QR racks with Givi adapters straight forward...
Those boxes look great! They match the bike really well.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #2870
innominate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked'em View Post
the new orleans dealer has a grey launch model and a regular one in black. went there sat to check it out. they are put togwther very nice. lots of trick touches. wish i could afford one right now.
looking forward to seeing the trophy. dealer said maybe the fall for that one.
I know the owners. They're good people.
The content of this post is for entertainment purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the poster. Furthermore, claims made by the poster are deemed to be fictitious for the purpose of entertainment. All rights reserved.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #2871
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Nuff said!

I considered that route myself, there are quite few coming and going in Nor Cal and quite a few of them are obscenely low mile garage queens. Still, it's a used bike, some one else's hands having done the farkling and upgrades to what standard is hard to say. I am not the biggest Touratech fan as many of their items just seem to be a means to suck money from the pockets of people with little sense (my two cents here!). I do love Touratech's GPS mounts, they rock and are some of the best and most functional. Many of their bolt on pieces just seems to add little or no extra protection, extra weight and less money in your wallet.

K.B.
That's the thing, let someone else take the hit on over-priced Touratech stuff. I just found a 2004 1150GSA with all the gear I want for $5,800.00. I think investing in a thorough safety & systems going-over by a BMW dealer would be a good move.

I agree, there is something about the Triumph that is very inviting, just can't spend the jack on one right now. Besides, I have a feeling that the next model year or two will have some nice upgrades.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #2872
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 360
Quote:

Fitting the SW Motech QR racks with Givi adapters straight forward... but a word of warning ... the nylon blocks have two M6 bolts and a pair of self tapping grub screws.... the grub screws are made of cheese managed to snap the heads off two of them BEFORE they were fully screwed in.... the up side is that they don't seem to be doing a great deal anyway....

fitted with 2x 33L Trekkers... the hinged flip top is handy too! the side case can be used as a top case

Measured them, and they're within 10mm of the width of the handguards ( the mirrors stick out a bit further, making the boxes narrower than the width of the mirrors)

Bryn, that is the best looking Tiger yet! Oh wait, same color as mine

I do love how those bags look on your bike, not too wide and they seem pretty functional. More than enough storage space for what I would need. Hoping Twisted Throttle updates their product line with the 1200 real soon. I would ask if you could take a picture with out one of the bags mounted? I would like to see how the racks look and the mount points if you could please.

K.B.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #2873
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:

Havn't bought a T-EX yet but definately the way to go and a lot cheaper than the OEMs I would imagine. My plan is to modify the mounting frame and bring the bags in closer, both sides. To do this I will explore the idea of modifying an Arrow low pipe from a Speed Triple so it sits beneath the right box alowing the right side Trekker to sit symetrically to the left side. Since most people myself included will not be fording raging torrents on this type of bike I cannot see a problem with a lower slung system. The narrower the better for fuel consumption, rear tyre wear and general manouverability IMO.

Question, is your top case mounting plate a GIVI part or an SW-Motech part?

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 10:36 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #2874
Bryn
Leicester England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
Bryn, that is the best looking Tiger yet! Oh wait, same color as mine
I would ask if you could take a picture with out one of the bags mounted? I would like to see how the racks look and the mount points if you could please.

K.B.
Thanks KB

The racks are quick release... there's a plate that bolts behind the rear footrest hanger, and another one that fits behind the license plate. The rack itself has two nylon blocks which hook into the original mounting point used by Triumph bags, then the two quick release screws seat and turn into the plates, and they're fitted... so taking the racks off when you are not using them takes around a minute. Only issue is that so can anyone else. There is a locking mechanism which is about 30 which can be ordered at the same time or retro - fitted.

The other good thing is that these racks will be good for Hepco & Becker, SW Motech, and Trax boxes, they just need adaptors fitted .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
Question, is your top case mounting plate a GIVI part or an SW-Motech part?
The top rack is an old Givi plate I fitted, with a bit of modification to make it work on the Triumph Rack. The only issue with it that I have is that it only has two M8 bolts holding it on, and I had to make up an angle steel bracket underneath to spread the load.

SW Motech now have an Ally rack that uses 4 mounting points, so I may well bite the bullet and change for one of these... saying that the present set up worked fine on the trip we've just had to France

Bryn screwed with this post 06-22-2012 at 12:38 AM
Bryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #2875
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Just got back from a 2200 mile ride on the Explorer.
Atlanta to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, up the coast to close to the Virginia border then all the way south again and ferried back over to Cedar Island. Beaufort, NC to Charlottesville, VA to Fort Royal, down Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Forest (AT NIGHT!) then the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and back to Atlanta.

The Tiger was amazing. Performed flawlessly! The bike's mpg's are increasing, on the BRP I was getting 48 and the blast home from Cherokee was mostly interstate at 46 mpg's. Not bad for a loaded bike! The motor,,,,, through the parkways is stellar. Pulls like a freight train and did I mention SMOOTH!

The throttle is no longer an issue. It's just second nature to me now.

The seat, for my ass, has got to be dealt with. It's comfortable for a few hours but when you are on the bike for 12 or more hours at a time it sucks!

The Jesse Bags are great. I have had them on other bikes and already knew what to expect. I knew I'd love them. BUT! This is the first set I've had with their new mounting system. The 5 inch adjustment front to rear is genius! When I got into the tight switchbacks it dawned on me that I could adjust their position since I had them almost all the way to the rear. I scooted them all the way forward and she was handling like a sport bike again!

Waiting to load the Ferry to Ocracoke Island,

Camping on the beach at Oregon Inlet:

One of the first photo ops in the BRP:

And you'll never know what you'll see in the Smokey Mountains!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #2876
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Thanks for sharing. Bikes looks great and sounds like it worked extremely well for the trip.

It is getting harder to decide which bike not to buy... the Explorer or the Yamaha S10!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #2877
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Just got back from a 2200 mile ride on the Explorer.
Atlanta to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, up the coast to close to the Virginia border then all the way south again and ferried back over to Cedar Island. Beaufort, NC to Charlottesville, VA to Fort Royal, down Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Forest (AT NIGHT!) then the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and back to Atlanta.

The Tiger was amazing. Performed flawlessly! The bike's mpg's are increasing, on the BRP I was getting 48 and the blast home from Cherokee was mostly interstate at 46 mpg's. Not bad for a loaded bike! The motor,,,,, through the parkways is stellar. Pulls like a freight train and did I mention
This is exactly the kinda reviews that I love hearing. What kinda highway speeds averaging 46 mpg? This it's exactly why I can't wait to get my own "SUV" of a bike

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #2878
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
This is exactly the kinda reviews that I love hearing. What kinda highway speeds averaging 46 mpg? This it's exactly why I can't wait to get my own "SUV" of a bike
Mostly ran around 78 to 79 mph,,,,,, reserve light came on at 200 miles showing 48 to empty.

On my trip I always calculated MPG's at fill up to compare to my display and it was always pretty damned accurate!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #2879
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Mostly ran around 78 to 79 mph,,,,,, reserve light came on at 200 miles showing 48 to empty.

On my trip I always calculated MPG's at fill up to compare to my display and it was always pretty damned accurate!
Fantastic. I'm sure on a trip running a little hard id be running right around 80 mph as well. Thank you for clarifying mpg calculation. That was gonna be my next question.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #2880
Bryn
Leicester England

Get them pictures out of your Jesse's from the rear ... they look great from the side.... I can see me getting a pair of them in the future when I get bored with the Trekkers