View Results: Explorer or Explorer/XC
Explorer 0 0%
Explorer/xc 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #2881
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Just got back from a 2200 mile ride on the Explorer.
Atlanta to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, up the coast to close to the Virginia border then all the way south again and ferried back over to Cedar Island. Beaufort, NC to Charlottesville, VA to Fort Royal, down Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Forest (AT NIGHT!) then the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and back to Atlanta.

The Tiger was amazing. Performed flawlessly! The bike's mpg's are increasing, on the BRP I was getting 48 and the blast home from Cherokee was mostly interstate at 46 mpg's. Not bad for a loaded bike! The motor,,,,, through the parkways is stellar. Pulls like a freight train and did I mention SMOOTH!

The throttle is no longer an issue. It's just second nature to me now.

The seat, for my ass, has got to be dealt with. It's comfortable for a few hours but when you are on the bike for 12 or more hours at a time it sucks!

The Jesse Bags are great. I have had them on other bikes and already knew what to expect. I knew I'd love them. BUT! This is the first set I've had with their new mounting system. The 5 inch adjustment front to rear is genius! When I got into the tight switchbacks it dawned on me that I could adjust their position since I had them almost all the way to the rear. I scooted them all the way forward and she was handling like a sport bike again!

Waiting to load the Ferry to Ocracoke Island,

Camping on the beach at Oregon Inlet:

One of the first photo ops in the BRP:

And you'll never know what you'll see in the Smokey Mountains!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #2882
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Thanks for sharing. Bikes looks great and sounds like it worked extremely well for the trip.

It is getting harder to decide which bike not to buy... the Explorer or the Yamaha S10!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #2883
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog View Post
Just got back from a 2200 mile ride on the Explorer.
Atlanta to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, up the coast to close to the Virginia border then all the way south again and ferried back over to Cedar Island. Beaufort, NC to Charlottesville, VA to Fort Royal, down Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Forest (AT NIGHT!) then the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and back to Atlanta.

The Tiger was amazing. Performed flawlessly! The bike's mpg's are increasing, on the BRP I was getting 48 and the blast home from Cherokee was mostly interstate at 46 mpg's. Not bad for a loaded bike! The motor,,,,, through the parkways is stellar. Pulls like a freight train and did I mention
This is exactly the kinda reviews that I love hearing. What kinda highway speeds averaging 46 mpg? This it's exactly why I can't wait to get my own "SUV" of a bike

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #2884
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
This is exactly the kinda reviews that I love hearing. What kinda highway speeds averaging 46 mpg? This it's exactly why I can't wait to get my own "SUV" of a bike
Mostly ran around 78 to 79 mph,,,,,, reserve light came on at 200 miles showing 48 to empty.

On my trip I always calculated MPG's at fill up to compare to my display and it was always pretty damned accurate!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #2885
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Mostly ran around 78 to 79 mph,,,,,, reserve light came on at 200 miles showing 48 to empty.

On my trip I always calculated MPG's at fill up to compare to my display and it was always pretty damned accurate!
Fantastic. I'm sure on a trip running a little hard id be running right around 80 mph as well. Thank you for clarifying mpg calculation. That was gonna be my next question.

'13 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
08 Yamaha WR450F - woods/adventure monster in the making
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #2886
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 328
Get them pictures out of your Jesse's from the rear ... they look great from the side.... I can see me getting a pair of them in the future when I get bored with the Trekkers
Old 06-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #2887
charliebrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Ok, don't jump all over me for this, but....

Has anybody mounted, or have seen mounted, highway pegs for the explorer? Unfortunately I need to make more than a few miles on the highway before finding any interesting roads to ride and my knees really appreciate the ability to stretch out on those boring slab roads. Seems like a peg mount on the crash bars would be relatively easy, but I'm not sure what the result would be on a drop/lowside. Maybe something that can be easily removed after the slab portion of the ride is over.

Any ideas, thoughts?
charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #2888
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Rainy days & farkles

I woke up to rain today & decided it would be a great morning to clean the girls up a bit.

I also got to finish up on a couple of other projects. Here's a couple shots of the fog lights and Admore LED kit for the Givi Tail case. They really do show up pretty well even in the daylight.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #2889
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by drklr View Post
Thanks for sharing. Bikes looks great and sounds like it worked extremely well for the trip.

It is getting harder to decide which bike not to buy... the Explorer or the Yamaha S10!
Same here, Ma Yamaha needs to add cruise or Triumph needs to add a 2nd more "adventurous" model with a larger tank and possibly wire wheels. Can live without the wire wheels but I'd really like at least a 250 range and would prefer around 300. Don't care how I get that range, either a big tank or great fuel mileage but I will say that better fuel economy with a medium capacity tank is what I would prefer. I will also say that mileage in the 40s is terrible for this size engine and this much weight. Hell, my Kia nearly gets that dammit!

Keel back the power and spend some more R&D on fuel economy and that tank on the Explorer would be plenty.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #2890
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
Ok, don't jump all over me for this, but....

Has anybody mounted, or have seen mounted, highway pegs for the explorer? Unfortunately I need to make more than a few miles on the highway before finding any interesting roads to ride and my knees really appreciate the ability to stretch out on those boring slab roads. Seems like a peg mount on the crash bars would be relatively easy, but I'm not sure what the result would be on a drop/lowside. Maybe something that can be easily removed after the slab portion of the ride is over.

Any ideas, thoughts?
I've got all the bit and pieces to mount them but can't get the engine guards. Waited over a month after I got the bike, got ready to mount them and they shipped two left sides. Can't get an answer out of Triumph as to when they will make it right. Really pissed

But it is doable, I had them on my F800GS and tiger800. Involves Rivco pegs and some homemade extensions. If I ever get the guards on I will post pictures. In the meantime this is what it looks like http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg36320

They look huge in the picture but in person they blend right in.

TAMPAJIM screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 07:52 PM
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #2891
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
The Tiger was amazing. Performed flawlessly! The bike's mpg's are increasing, on the BRP I was getting 48 and the blast home from Cherokee was mostly interstate at 46 mpg's. Not bad for a loaded bike! The motor,,,,, through the parkways is stellar. Pulls like a freight train and did I mention SMOOTH!
I am surprised that the difference between BRP and an interstate was only 2MPG for you. With my F800GS I get about 45MPG on highways but I got 65MPG on BRP. The Trax boxes stick out quite wide so I think that's what kills my mileage at higher speeds. But on BRP I thought my gas indicator was broken, hour after hour still not showing me the actual remaining miles, I had a spare gallon I used so I didn't have to get off the parkway. I ended up using 4.22 gallons for 275 miles, without the spare I probably would've run out of gas less than a mile before the gas station in Raonoke.
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #2892
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Hell, my Kia nearly gets that dammit!

Keel back the power and spend some more R&D on fuel economy and that tank on the Explorer would be plenty.
Would you be happy with an Adventure bike with KIA like performance?

Sounds like a KLR might be the perfect choice!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #2893
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
I am surprised that the difference between BRP and an interstate was only 2MPG for you. With my F800GS I get about 45MPG on highways but I got 65MPG on BRP. The Trax boxes stick out quite wide so I think that's what kills my mileage at higher speeds. But on BRP I thought my gas indicator was broken, hour after hour still not showing me the actual remaining miles, I had a spare gallon I used so I didn't have to get off the parkway. I ended up using 4.22 gallons for 275 miles, without the spare I probably would've run out of gas less than a mile before the gas station in Raonoke.

I was on the BRP both days about 6:30am. I ran a spirited pace since I was all alone, keeping the bike mostly in third gear. Had I ran the 45mph and poked around it would have been a lot better.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #2894
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131

The Jesses really blend in well with the lines of the bike. Maybe an Airhawk would cure your monkeybutt. I tried a friend's the other day and was impressed enough to order one.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #2895
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Already have a used one.

Some guy failed to realized that he had relinquished his ___ ____ and succumbed to the selfish wishes of his S/O.