Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,614
need Ohlins advice for my R100GS, is my shock shot?

Just got an ohlins (used) in the mail last night for my R100GS... when I turn the remote preload adjuster it has almost zero resistance, which seems wrong.

Seems like the Ohlins on my '88 F1 duck had a bunch of resistance on the preload.

Time for a rebuild???

and if that's a big yes.... and recomendations for a west coast shop? I'm in Washington state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
BlackHoof
REMF

Oddometer: 244
Shocking News

I haven't messed with my pre-load adjuster so I can't speak for that.
But, I purchased my shock from Stig Pettersson at www.ppsracing.com
& I'm pretty sure he can rebuild your shock if it needs it.
No affilliation, just a satisfyied customer.
BTW he's in CA.
BlackHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Just got an ohlins (used) in the mail last night for my R100GS... when I turn the remote preload adjuster it has almost zero resistance, which seems wrong.

Watch the top of the spring as you tighten up the preload. You should see movement/compression of the spring.
If the remote pre-load adjustment fails,then a rebuild is on order. I had mine done for $75. I had just a gas n oil change. What pissed me off was the tech scratched the hell out of the spring while removing with spring compressor. Big GOOF!!!

OR...maybe you don't have a remote pre-load adjustment. Maybe instead, the original owner opted for "shock compression adjustments" instead. Just a thought...!

One more thing....,my Ohlin's shock only fitted on my bike in only one way. With the pre-load hose coming off the shock,and the lock ring at a certain position. Any other way, the pre-load hose/lock ring off the top of the shock hit the sub-frame preventing the shock from being installed properly.
I made a quick drawing of how the shock was before dismantlement. Also measure the spring length before rebuild,and the distance of the lock ring from the top of the shock. If the spring/shock is setup for your weight/style,you'll want it put back to those settings after the tech puts it back together,otherwise your shock won't feel right,and you'll think the tech used the wrong weight oil,or forgot the gas, but it will definately not feel right.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRich

Watch the top of the spring as you tighten up the preload. You should see movement/compression of the spring.
If the remote pre-load adjustment fails,then a rebuild is on order. I had mine done for $75. I had just a gas n oil change. What pissed me off was the tech scratched the hell out of the spring while removing with spring compressor. Big GOOF!!!

mines a preload

OR...maybe you don't have a remote pre-load adjustment. Maybe instead, the original owner opted for "shock compression adjustments" instead. Just a thought...!
it is and it's shot...

One more thing....,my Ohlin's shock only fitted on my bike in only one way. With the pre-load hose coming off the shock,and the lock ring at a certain position. Any other way, the pre-load hose/lock ring off the top of the shock hit the sub-frame preventing the shock from being installed properly.
I made a quick drawing of how the shock was before dismantlement. Also measure the spring length before rebuild,and the distance of the lock ring from the top of the shock. If the spring/shock is setup for your weight/style,you'll want it put back to those settings after the tech puts it back together,otherwise your shock won't feel right,and you'll think the tech used the wrong weight oil,or forgot the gas, but it will definately not feel right.
yup, duly noted..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote