Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #15661
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Wicked Look Ma .... No Hands!

Hmmm....
My Scrambler is the only bike I have that I can comfortably release the bars and continue straight. Never done much 'hands free' riding but the stability on the Scram makes it possible for someone like me with no natural sense of balance. In a similar vein, I use a DR 650 with 20mm ammo cans for general transportation in the winter. Between the weight of those boxes and the collapsing of the OEM springs it would barely stay upright on the sidestand (before getting new springs this month) so I would have to pack all the heavy stuff into the left can when shopping and I still never noted that it 'wanted' to turn left when loaded. Of course with my challenged balance and a 17" SM front wheel it doesn't get ridden 'no hands'. There are lots of bikes with exhaust systems (factory-heavy) on one side of the bike only and I never hear (or experience) that they won't run straight.
I would recheck that alignment with strings, straight edges or lasers and see if it really is straight. Good luck.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #15662
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Hi guys.

Ok, I just noticed this drift as I ride after my first break in service. I noticed I kept correcting the drift pull while riding on highway and then let the bars go to see what was up and I'd change lanes on its own.

The dealer mechanic did adjust the chain tension, doubt the wheel came off.
Its brand new 2012 Scram only 1200km.

I sit straight on the seat, no favouring one cheek or the other. Both cheeks seated.

I spoke to the dealer owner yesterday, he says it sounds like alignment issue in the rear. He did say that issue was strange and it shouldn't do that.
I'll swing by the dealer later today to see what they're gonna do.

Hope thats the issue.

Thanks guys, keep ya posted.
Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #15663
Boston813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Hi guys.

Ok, I just noticed this drift as I ride after my first break in service. I noticed I kept correcting the drift pull while riding on highway and then let the bars go to see what was up and I'd change lanes on its own.

The dealer mechanic did adjust the chain tension, doubt the wheel came off.
Its brand new 2012 Scram only 1200km.

I sit straight on the seat, no favouring one cheek or the other. Both cheeks seated.

I spoke to the dealer owner yesterday, he says it sounds like alignment issue in the rear. He did say that issue was strange and it shouldn't do that.
I'll swing by the dealer later today to see what they're gonna do.

Hope thats the issue.

Thanks guys, keep ya posted.
Dave
Mine did/does that too if I go by the alignment marks on the rear wheel tensioner.

If it pulls to the right then you can try tightening the right side.
Boston813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #15664
prince
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
best pipes

hi all, i just got an 06 and looking to upgrade to some aftermarket pipe(s). what would be best, zard, mass mohave (these two are my favorite but i'm open) or something else? they do need need to be black though. Also same question regarding the seat, no, it doesn't have to be black.
Thanks in advance
prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #15665
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 292
Hi Prince!
06's are the best year because of the silver engine, in my humble. Mine's an 07 and came with that confounded black engine. I had to change the covers to polished aluminum to approximate the look of an 06. Congratulations on a very cool bike! Don't know why you want a black exhaust, though....
I have the Zard. Love it. I did try Triumph TOR's and Norman Hyde Toga cans first. All upgrades are, well, upgrades and for the better.
I'd do a Mohave and keep a little of the high pipe old timey look on your classic Scrambler. It's kind of funny that the Triumph Modern Classic line already has some vintage to it worth preserving.
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #15666
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Hi all,

Went for a ride this am, but my blinkers wouldn't work, nothing at all.

Did some google searches and tried to trace the problem, and finally went to look at the indicator relay, but there was nothing there . Anybody else ever have one fall off the bike? Seems like quite a feat.

So I went to the auto parts store and picked up a generic 3 pole 12v relay, and no luck. Does anyone know if they are specific, and where to get one that works?

Edit --- advance auto parts store has a Tridon model # EP36 flasher relay that works in my 2006 Scrambler. The only difference is that to cancel, instead of a straight in push, you give a half push back to center (away from the direction of turn). It's actually much easier to cancel now. Anyway, I'm posting here for posterity in case anyone else needs to find one locally.

xaman screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 01:32 PM
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #15667
scramblase
ATGATT -> Met/Isoleucine

Oddometer: 97
Beginnings of my Scrambling Oregon to Missouri ride report here : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802250

scramblase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #15668
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
I know your busy and all on the Scram road trip but when you get a chance share details on your luggage set up. Beat to dead thread (sort of) but yours look a bit different.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #15669
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Yep, would love to know what rack that is.
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #15670
prince
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
pipes

thanks rmark.
prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #15671
9mmMike
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Hi guys, posted this over on another forum but wanted to get more Scrambler owner input. Any opinions/experience is appreciated.

I noticed when I ride, if I let go of the bars(no hands) the bike steers/pulls to the right consistently. Even if I take the left hand off and only try to steer straight with right side/throttle it will pull to right.

So, is this off balance due to the weight of the high side exhausts on the right side of my Scrambler leaning me in that direction?

I have the 2012 bike, 1200km now.
Tire pressure is front 32 psi rear 41 psi. Manual lists F: 31 R: 41 psi.
Forks looks ok, seems normal.
Wheels are aligned.

Never experienced this drift on my past bikes.

So for the Scram owners, is this normal and do you also experience this drift/pull to the right?

Thanks in advance.
Dave.
Sounds like rear wheel steering.
9mmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #15672
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Update: Re.steering pulls to right.

Hey guys, back from dealer yesterday.
Kind of a PITA.
Mechanic didn't want to listen, just brushed me off and said all Triumphs are like that.
So you telling me ALL Triumph's pull to one side, yes was his answer. ???
I understand its long weekend and its Friday afternoon, he's busy, wants to get outta dodge. But dealer spoke to him and he reluctantly took it to test drive.
So he found it to pull too. So what do ya know.

He reluctantly checks there was a slight alignment issue on the rear that was adjusted with straight edge method to align front and back as it was explained to me.\
He warned me its normal to pull right in low speeds and it may be better after his adjustments.

Was it solved? sort of.
Its an improvement, much better on highway, but still slight drift to right.
Slow speeds still pulls almost the same.

I'll drive around this weekend and see if I can live with it or if it'll bother me in the long term.

So, been thinking, what else can be causing this?
May try varying, air pressure, mine is OEM at moment.
Check weights if I lost any, perhaps is not balanced?
Could the tire treads of the OEM tires cause a favouring drift to one side?
I will change my tires to try Avon's or Metzlers eventually, just want to use up the OEM's first.

So should I accept this for a brand spanking new bike?
Live with or call Triumph and see what else can be done?

Another note, I have a gas drip issue in the overflow when parked in slight inclines.
My tank drips over 24hrs, don't matter if tank is full or near empty. Still drips outta overflow tube. IMO this is not normal to leak gas.
Mechanic states its normal.

I'm losing faith and confidence with this mechanic. :(

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #15673
RMAK
The Magnanimous

Oddometer: 292
Is there any difference in how the bike behaves when you make a left or right turn?
RMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #15674
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAK View Post
Is there any difference in how the bike behaves when you make a left or right turn?
Haven't notice much difference.

I figure cornering to right would be more natural for it since its going that way.
Left turns are no issue at the moment.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #15675
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post
Yep, would love to know what rack that is.
Plus three on that rack. Looks nicely balanced.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote