User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #8716
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
It's quite simple.

Those who are bothered by the image of Mexico being dangerous, simply will not come here.

Those who understand there is some risk, will read threads like this and other sources and will plan a route and have an attitude that minimizes the risks and gives them access to this wonderful country.

The issues here as I see them are as follows:

1. Robbery
2. Corruption on the roads (Mordida)
3. Cartel Violence

1. Give the guy your "second" wallet and ride on. Laugh at how he got your expired Blockbuster membership card. I've never heard of anyone getting hurt who cooperated. You are NOT Chuck Norris or Xena, pay up and move along. (except in my case, but I'll probably not try to run again)
2. Act dumb, spend some time waving your arms around, and pay the guy $40 and enjoy the rest of your day. Think of it as an extra toll. The highway tolls here in Mex are the real highway robbery, IMO
3. Stay out of drug deals. As simple as that. To my knowledge not one single biker has ever been attacked by a narco (there are reports of tourists getting some trouble, but I have my doubts)

Just as there are some bikers who have ridden for 40 years without an accident, there are plenty of people who have fallen off in the first 10 minutes (me!) Nothing is risk free. The best you can do is minimize the hazard, look at the cons as well as the pros, and get the F#$k on with your life.

SO Chango and secret santa (or whatever your handle is, can't be bothered to look) thanks for going on about the tens of thousands of people that have been killed. We know, we know it's lethal to be a narco or a family member of a narco. How about you quote some statistics that really matter to US! Like the probability of meeting Salma Hayek at the local Pemex station.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #8717
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Yesterday, there were 9 shootings and two dead in Toledo.

I am issuing a travel advisory for Toledo Ohio. It is a craphole, and no one should approach nearer than Maumee or Perrysburg. If you do make a run from the Canadian border, please do not stop in Detroit or Toledo. Wait until at least Perrysburg, but Bowling Green may be safer, unless the drunk college students are on a rampage. (Summer vacation right now) If you miss BG, DON'T STOP IN LIMA.

Generally, the dead are not strung up on overpasses, but there has been a rash of idiots driving the wrong way on the interstates, killing people in gory wrecks, splattering folks under the overpasses. However, this is usually after dark.

If anyone is interested, I can provide danger tours of Toledo, and recommend a crappy hotel downtown, where you can hide after dark.

Maybe we can also go exploring for a french bakery that wipes their butt with their baguettes or croissants. Extra flavor and all that.

PS. The Ohio State Highway Revenue Patrol regularly stops out of state vehicles carrying large quantities of 'herbal medicines'. The Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90) and I-75 should be avoided. This could be considered cartel activity. In Ohio, you may be subject to unexpected pull overs by the OSHP. Excessive speed will result in approx. $200 extortion fee, and it can't be negotiated down 'on the spot'.
Using the logic practiced around here, I say Toledo and Detroit are being maligned, could be a little risk there, but definitely manageable. Just look at these sites, how dreamy, and pretty much like the picture you guys paint of the Mex Warzone:

http://www.visitdetroit.com/

http://www.dotoledo.org/

Now just add some pics of delicious food and half naked chicks, safe as in your mother's arms........just don't go out at night, don't go to bars, don't buy drugs, allow time for breakdowns so you can run and hide somewhere when the sun goes down, someone gets in your face, smile like a dumb fool and say no speaky english, see, what great places to visit, just like Mexico....actually these cities aren't half as bad as parts of Mexico...........

Mexico is at war, what's so hard to admit about that, it's random and spread across the country. It won't last forever, some how it will calm down, until then it is what it is........Bashing Chango or anyone else just makes you guys look rediculious, at least you have your ignore button now so you can stick your heads in the sand like a bunch of ostriches, or um monkeys, heheh.

GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #8718
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto View Post
Either the people here are in denial or noobies, or live sheltered lives at tourist resorts
or fortified communities in Mexico.
Insulting every single person who posts in here is a great way to get them to listen to you. And by the way,
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #8719
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Thank you for your insight, duly noted, now STFU, 'kay?

I don't need someone who doesn't live here telling me how dangerous it is to live here.
Awesome, Mike Mike is the man. I second his comments. Chingo is a punk.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #8720
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Bashing Chango or anyone else just makes you guys look rediculious, at least you have your ignore button now so you can stick your heads in the sand like a bunch of ostriches, or um monkeys, heheh.
Not one of us would deny there are major problems in Mexico.

That said, there are no bullets zipping around when you step out of the house (at least not where I am or any other member here as far as I can tell)

You have an image like it's 80's Beirut on a bad day. That is VERY wrong, and that's all us pro-mexico posters are trying to point out.

None of us have said you shouldn't be careful. But a visit to Mexico will NOT automatically end in murder or kidnapping. The people who say it will are the only ones we are speaking out against.

Yes, certain places in the rest of the world are dangerous. You don't go there and stay safe. Use the same precautions in Mexico and you'll be fine. Just cancel the booking at the Juarez Hilton.

By the way, lay off the insults. We live here. We have the right to defend the place and respond to posters who only know Mexico from the oh-so-unbiased and thorough US media.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #8721
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto View Post
This "Is Mexico Safe " thread always attacks,bullies,attempts to discredit anyone that post mexico is not safe.
The whole thread from page one will show the above statement is fact .
Chango is here to give the other side of the story. Mexico is currently a very dangerous / deadly place .
For those wanting to travel there please consider all travel warnings issued .

I seriously believe that this thread without showing the dangers of mexiko and its current state of
violence will wrecklessly neglectfully lure a naive traveller to mexico where they could fall
victim to the violence in Mexico.

+1 Well documented thread of one sided people painting a false sense of security in Mexico

This thread is not really about safety and could indirectly if not directly put a traveler in harms way
by deception ..... Either the people here are in denial or noobies, or live sheltered lives at tourist resorts
or fortified communities in Mexico . Because mexico is littered with death and the smell of death
permiates from its bowwells !!!
Looks like this A hole will be going on my ignore list also.
Hombre, do us all a favor and crawl back into your fox hole with your boyfriend Chingo.
P.S. your spelling sucks.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #8722
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by craneguy View Post
not one of us would deny there are major problems in mexico.

That said, there are no bullets zipping around when you step out of the house (at least not where i am or any other member here as far as i can tell)

you have an image like it's 80's beirut on a bad day. That is very wrong, and that's all us pro-mexico posters are trying to point out.

none of us have said you shouldn't be careful. But a visit to mexico will not automatically end in murder or kidnapping. The people who say it will are the only ones we are speaking out against.
+1
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #8723
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post

That said, there are no bullets zipping around when you step out of the house (at least not where I am or any other member here as far as I can tell)

You have an image like it's 80's Beirut on a bad day. That is VERY wrong, and that's all us pro-mexico posters are trying to point out.

None of us have said you shouldn't be careful. But a visit to Mexico will NOT automatically end in murder or kidnapping. The people who say it will are the only ones we are speaking out against.

Yes, certain places in the rest of the world are dangerous. You don't go there and stay safe. Use the same precautions in Mexico and you'll be fine. Just cancel the booking at the Juarez Hilton.

By the way, lay off the insults. We live here. We have the right to defend the place and respond to posters who only know Mexico from the oh-so-unbiased and thorough US media.
This is very well spoken and logical.

Don't know how many times the point has been made that travel to Mexico has risks and that the individual needs to make a decision for himself/herself whether to go or not.

Don't know how many tmes it needs to be said that just because one rider takes a look at the big picture and decides to go and another takes a stance that its too dangerous for him (or her) and decides not to go, boths sides have made the correct individual decision.

It is as equally wrong to take a look at Mexico and decide for others that it is on the one had both completely safe or on the other hand completley dangerous.

Read the warnings, watch the news, read the ride reports, and decide for yourself.

Obviously we have regulars here who go to Mexico consistently. What they are saying is they have made the risk decision for themselves and decided to go. They are not telling anyone else what risk decision to make.

If some think Mexico is a "war zone" and decide not to go, that's fine. But it is equally wrong for them to post here in blanket format that the whole country is a "death zone". That's only their viewpoint, and its a foul to attempt to force others to adopt that stance, as is attempting to say Mexico is completley safe is also a foul.

For the 1,000th time, travel to Mexico like any destination involves risk. Mexico, because of the drug violence, can involve increased risk. To some, that risk is off the charts. To others, its manageable. Make a decision to go or stay home, but don't come to the IMS thread and make a decision for others, or paint Mexico with a broad brush one way or the other.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #8724
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
This is very well spoken and logical.

Don't know how many times the point has been made that travel to Mexico has risks and that the individual needs to make a decision for himself/herself whether to go or not.

Don't know how many tmes it needs to be said that just because one rider takes a look at the big picture and decides to go and another takes a stance that its too dangerous for him (or her) and decides not to go, boths sides have made the correct individual decision.

It is as equally wrong to take a look at Mexico and decide for others that it is on the one had both completely safe or on the other hand completley dangerous.

Read the warnings, watch the news, read the ride reports, and decide for yourself.

Obviously we have regulars here who go to Mexico consistently. What they are saying is they have made the risk decision for themselves and decided to go. They are not telling anyone else what risk decision to make.

If some think Mexico is a "war zone" and decide not to go, that's fine. But it is equally wrong for them to post here in blanket format that the whole country is a "death zone". That's only their viewpoint, and its a foul to attempt to force others to adopt that stance, as is attempting to say Mexico is completley safe is also a foul.

For the 1,000th time, travel to Mexico like any destination involves risk. Mexico, because of the drug violence, can involve increased risk. To some, that risk is off the charts. To others, its manageable. Make a decision to go or stay home, but don't come to the IMS thread and make a decision for others, or paint Mexico with a broad brush one way or the other.
Well said. Make this a sticky!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #8725
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

And James, don't forget La Gloria Ice House on Monday at 7. I'm buying you a beer or three.

You can look me in the eye then and give me your answer.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #8726
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Geez Trice! Unquote the poop!

There's enough crap in this thread already.....
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #8727
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Geez Trice! Unquote the poop!

There's enough crap in this thread already.....
Unfortunately, I had to quote it - for posterity - just so it can't be deleted. For reasons that should be obvious.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #8728
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Look me in the eye James and tell me you're not posting as Hombre Secreto as your fake noob.

Tell me using phrases like the highlite in yellow isn't painting Mexico with a broad brush.

And really, posting a fecal video both as ChangoGS and as Hombre Secreto....is that really you?

We understand you feel Mexico moto travel is dangerous

What you fail to grasp is that others have taken the indicators and have decided to balance the risk and have made the decision to go - that doesn't equate to anyone saying Mexico is risk free - just that they have made a different decision than you.

You fly into Mexico a few months ago and go out at night drinking and you and your buddy get stiffed for a large amount of money. I'm sorry that happened to you. You made a certain risk management decision and you paid for it. Before that inicident I don't recall you posting like you are.

Will you look me in the eye and tell me you're not using Hombre Secreto as a fake noob?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #8729
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post

There's a couple regulars on this list that stated they had bodies dumped down the street from where they live, and have had bullets zipping around their relatives houses. And the story that bikers aren't targeted is starting to fade away as more people report being targeted, those bullets that hit the bikes of that last group could have just as well hit and killed someone, then it would be totally over..... It's only a matter of time before it happens.

I've been to Mexico, I love it there and never met a bad person, I love the food and culture, I spent about $18000usd setting up a hack rig to ride down there with no time limits, but for me, risk assessment, I have it on hold for now.

The only other places on the planet that have the type of violence that is going on in Mexico is Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. Somalia could be on that list as well. It's a damn shame but that is what the number of dead, the atrocities, pictures and videos prove out. Saying that does not and is not meant to disrespect your country or the "good" people of your country, it's just what is happening there for real. For a guy to ride down there that doesn't know the place or be fluent in the language, it is kinda daunting.

As far as you being incensed about perceived insults of country, the way you guys shit on the U.S. and now France, I'll just take what you say with a grain of salt..................

As far as the U.S. Media, I'm with you there, they are a joke, there hasn't been any competent news media here in a long time, if there ever was? We get fed a lot of propaganda here!!
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #8730
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
From Craneguy's post: "That said, there are no bullets zipping around when you step out of the house (at least not where I am or any other member here as far as I can tell)
You have an image like it's 80's Beirut on a bad day. That is VERY wrong, and that's all us pro-mexico posters are trying to point out. " Plenty of bullets yesterday...... http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=8991

Apparently you fly in to D.F. escorted to Cuernavaca to a fortified highly guarded gated community . Buy a used mex plated bike and ride around to Cautla ??? Look theres a big border with hit and miss areas in between .
Fake cops , paa militaires in uniforme. A world upside down.. And the big joke is they are more worried about a vehicle TVIP than public safety !!!! What a joke . Things are worst up north and east in my old stomping grounds.

Taxco the once beautiful silver city has had like 20 executions in the last month. This is absurd and never heard of
before. The filth, the decapitations are spreading all over the republic.
At the risk of feeding the troll:

No, I don't ride to the northern states, but that's because I personally don't need to. There's plenty to see between here and Cuautla. I'll leave the comments about the border towns and the routes south to others who have more experience.

Yes, those GSers were shot at, and it looks like the lady had a good excuse for trying to get away. However, the guy who was actually robbed lost a little money and was allowed to go on his merry way. That's typically the worst that will happen.

Wave bunches of $50's around in a bad neighborhood and you'll get what you deserve.

Whatever you say you still cannot point to a single incident of Narcos killing or kidnapping tourists. From what my native friends tell me, they don't want the hassle. Prove that it happens or shut up and stop scare mongering.

By the way, I'm going to Taxco tomorrow. If I get kidnapped, beheaded or filled with 7.62, I'll be sure to stop back here and tell everyone you were right.