User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #8731
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,883
Craneguy,
Your comment about not riding the Northern states is interesting. For those of us that live north of the Rio Grande ( that's most of us), the only way to get to the middle or the southern states is to ride the northern states; otherwise we wouldn't get there at all, unless we fly.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #8732
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Planning to spend the first week of July riding through Tamaulipas to (hopefully) Veracruz then west to (maybe) Villa Bernal then back home.

Will update here on security issues, tacos ricos, Indio beer, and all things México.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #8733
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Planning to spend the first week of July riding through Tamaulipas to (hopefully) Veracruz then west to (maybe) Villa Bernal then back home.

Will update here on security issues, tacos ricos, Indio beer, and all things México.
I'm jealous. I like Veracruz and I can't get Indio in Mississippi.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #8734
charliemike
wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Heading down around the same time....same route but stopping in Cd. Victoria for a few days b4 Veracruz.
charliemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #8735
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Craneguy,
Your comment about not riding the Northern states is interesting. For those of us that live north of the Rio Grande ( that's most of us), the only way to get to the middle or the southern states is to ride the northern states; otherwise we wouldn't get there at all, unless we fly.
I live about 600 miles south of the border. I have no reason to head up there, as I have a lot to see down here!

Eventually I will, without doubt. When I do I will pick my routes and areas carefully, and probably find someone to ride with who knows the region better than I do.

As we keep saying, it's also about mitigating risk. The northern border states are riskier to ride in than down here, so until I have seen all there to see in the South, I probably won't go there.

If you want to get to the safest parts of Mexico, you have to find a way south. If you feel it's too risky, you shouldn't do it. That is your risk management process.

I was going to buy a bike in the US last year and ride down. If you check my first ever post you'll see I went looking for advice and a group to ride with. In the end I went to Canada on a contract, and then discovered I couldn't return to the USA (visa issues) so I had to buy here instead.

Anyway, don't pay any attention to me when it comes to the north. Follow the advice of the guys that live there (and certainly not people living in Europe)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #8736
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I live about 600 miles south of the border. I have no reason to head up there, as I have a lot to see down here!

Eventually I will, without doubt. When I do I will pick my routes and areas carefully, and probably find someone to ride with who knows the region better than I do.

As we keep saying, it's also about mitigating risk. The northern border states are riskier to ride in than down here, so until I have seen all there to see in the South, I probably won't go there.

If you want to get to the safest parts of Mexico, you have to find a way south. If you feel it's too risky, you shouldn't do it. That is your risk management process.

I was going to buy a bike in the US last year and ride down. If you check my first ever post you'll see I went looking for advice and a group to ride with. In the end I went to Canada on a contract, and then discovered I couldn't return to the USA (visa issues) so I had to buy here
instead.

Anyway, don't pay any attention to me when it comes to the north. Follow the advice of the guys that live there (and certainly not people living in Europe)
I didn't say I have a problem with the risk (I don't). I was just making the point that the majority here can't avoid the north if we are going to ride in Mexico.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #8737
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,573
Message from the mods.

Chango/Hombre have been given a permanent vacation, though I suspect he'll try again with a new fake n00b.

We apologize for the delayed action but the Trip Planning mods are by and large retired from modding and don't get around here much anymore.

I will clean up the rest of his posts and move them to Head Explody later tonight after I get home and can access a real computer.

Salud!

JD
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #8738
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
Back to .
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #8739
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
Chango/Hombre have been given a permanent vacation, though I suspect he'll try again with a new fake n00b.

We apologize for the delayed action but the Trip Planning mods are by and large retired from modding and don't get around here much anymore.

I will clean up the rest of his posts and move them to Head Explody later tonight after I get home and can access a real computer.

Salud!

JD
Old 06-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #8740
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks JD !!!!

Now this thread will be tranquilo
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #8741
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:

Salud!

JD

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #8742
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:

Salud!

JD
My cup overfloweth
Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #8743
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
Heading down around the same time....same route but stopping in Cd. Victoria for a few days b4 Veracruz.
Let's keep in touch by PM. Maybe see you down there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #8744
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
In planning stages now for another ride, probably early November or mid-January. I haven't been south in over a year. Not sure yet what type of excursion or activity I will engage in yet. I have been thinking about a tienta school for a few years and may do that, as there are several ranches that specialize in this. I'm also checking on the guitar festival schedules. If I wait until Mardi Gras 2013 there a some very good festivals in Autlan de la Granja and in Jalostitlan.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #8745
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
Mexico land travel is just like the people swimming with sharks ..... C'mon in the waters fine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The odds of being attacked by a shark are roughly 1 in 11.5 million. Just sayin'.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote