Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #3256
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,608
That's a good idea, Joc. Will give it a try.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #3257
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
I
What else could go wrong?

Don't say that....

Damn, that truly sucks Rodge.

I'll take that POS beemer rig off'n your hands for a grand.....
Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #3258
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Ace,

Contact Ducati NA and see if they will warranty it? It seem to be a common problem, and it would not suprize me if they would not do a "good faith" repair for you.

Wouldn't hurt..

Joc
Done. Stay tuned for news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
I'll take that POS beemer rig off'n your hands for a grand.....

You're a good guy for offering to help out a buddy, Mike.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #3259
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post

You're a good guy for offering to help out a buddy, Mike.
Hey, I'm a giver.....

Tranny give any warning??

I have to give it credit considering the "gentle" nature of your riding....
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #3260
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by martys View Post
try here http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...ml#post1367257

and here http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/inde...pageId=1285193

you can also download the manual from ducati's website. you'll need a spanner and a couple of allen wrenches too.
Second link is great, it got the job done. And yes the spanner is certainly flimsy.

On another note, I helped the new owner of my wife's old Magna through a kinked fuel line glitch tonight. Those old Hondas are overengineered
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #3261
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
DES pre load? Suspension issues?

What kind of MPG does the MTS get?
I've run out of fuel on mine 3 times now right at the 200 mile mark.
I'm a slow learner
Luckily all three times have been literally within yards of a service station.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #3262
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
I've run out of fuel on mine 3 times now right at the 200 mile mark.
I'm a slow learner
Luckily all three times have been literally within yards of a service station.
My tracking shows an average of 39.5MPG over 12k miles.

High is 53, low is 29.

It appears to be bad around town, where I primarily use Urban. A couple of folks have suggested the thing gets much worse gas mileage in urban mode.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #3263
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
It appears to be bad around town, where I primarily use Urban. A couple of folks have suggested the thing gets much worse gas mileage in urban mode.
Wasn't that because Ducati just threw fuel at the problem that the bike was unrideable below 4k RPM when it was released? And as this is mainly an "urban problem", it might be that the urban map puts even more fuel in the lower rev range.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #3264
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Wasn't that because Ducati just threw fuel at the problem that the bike was unrideable below 4k RPM when it was released? And as this is mainly an "urban problem", it might be that the urban map puts even more fuel in the lower rev range.
Where do you get this stuff? "Unrideable below 4k RPM"??? Do you own one, or are you just talkin' ???

My bike is perfectly "rideable" at 2500 rpm....in Touring, Urban, etc. Not bad for a 150hp superbike motor. My BMW GS wouldn't even RUN at 2500 rpm....just cough sputter die.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #3265
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Where do you get this stuff? "Unrideable below 4k RPM"???
I did test ride one days after it hit the US. And the fueling was abysmal below 4k (might have been a bit lower but not much). I know (read) it was made much better later on with a new fuel map but the mileage also suffered quite a bit.

For someone like me, normally riding triples and the parallel twins out there, the low RPM fueling was nice above 4k, super bad to ride in slow speed maneuvers ...
Old 06-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #3266
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
For someone like me, normally riding triples and the parallel twins out there, the low RPM fueling was nice above 4k, super bad to ride in slow speed maneuvers ...
Indeed...that's why I use mine when teaching my MSF Advanced class.
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #3267
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Indeed...that's why I use mine when teaching my MSF Advanced class.
You still ride with the original fuel map? Great for you.

Edit again: this was the map the bike had about 3 days after a demo bike hit the US dealers.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #3268
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
You still ride with the original fuel map? Great for you.

Edit again: this was the map the bike had about 3 days after a demo bike hit the US dealers.
And it was brand new and tighter than Elvis Presley's pants.

Have you ridden other new Ducs? They need to loosen up, regardless of the fueling.

FWIW, you'll notice from my sig that mine is also a 2010, the first year model (in the US anyway), and after 12k miles there's no problems down to 2500rpm. I also don't use FatDucs or Bizzaz or any other fueling modifiers, just what ever map Ducati stuffed into the ECU the last time it was flashed (maybe 6 months ago now).

Anyway, back to the original comment on mileage in Urban mode being bad, what I've found is it has nothing to do with Urban mode, but is based on the gear you're in and the rpms. I did a little test a year+ ago and watched the instant MPG readout as I puttered around town (no more than 35mph) in the various modes and the big difference was 1st gear vs. 2nd gear vs. rpms. The fuel mileage in 1st gear was horrible....easily 30% lower than what was shown for 2nd gear on up, and here's the real interesting part....it was very dependent on rpm, and not linear like you'd think. There are "sweet spots". If I remember right, real low rpms were the worst, then it got better at around 4k rpm, then it started to tank again around 6k rpm, then get better again. Part of that makes sense (richer down low for smoother riding around town), then lean out as you get into the "happy zone", but WTF is up with it tanking again? Anyway, that's what I found when I was dickin' with it, and it was totally independent of mode. YMMV, etc.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #3269
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
And it was brand new and tighter than Elvis Presley's pants. -SM
It already had about 300 miles on ... Nevertheless, I was never a big believer in "breaking bikes in" as manufacturing specs nowadays are so tight that there isn't much break in happening mechanically with the possible exception of the suspension. Some bikes have learning ECUs, like the new Triumphs, that makes a difference, not sure about the Multi. Other than that, things that actually need to break in are tires and brakes, the engine normally doesn't. But let's not get into a discussion on this one, too.

When you think back, there was a whole people complaining about bad fueling at low revs. Wasn't just me. Granted, I had a Tiger 1050 the week before which has absolutely impeccable fueling at all RPMs, low, high, doesn't matter, even just above idle. You could ride it with no gas in first gear, just using the clutch to do the typical "lollipop slow speed maneuvers". Then new fuel maps came in. People suggested getting full Termi exhausts to solve the low speed hacking and humping. Some fairly ridiculous ideas in my opinion - throwing $2k at a $20k bike just to get the fueling right. From what I followed reading in magazines and here Ducati got it more or less straightened out by throwing fuel at the problem. Bikes are leaned out so much nowadays that this is likely always doing something good to an engine.

Overall - city traffic on a high powered super bike engine that needs to pass more and more rigid emission tests likely requires some interesting fuel maps to feel okay, lots of slow speed, low rev work, stop and go, just lots of stuff most motorcycle engines don't like very much and the race horse engine of the Multi probably more so than other bikes.

So, no surprise that the Multi isn't exactly a gas saver with city riding. It's not really meant to be either.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #3270
Francisco Enes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
i don´t know what you are doing to you bikes...

Mine has a full termi exaust and you can ride it with no problem in every gear BELOW 2500rpm... It pulls like ... i don´t know.. like it should!! I´m guessing not even my v-max pull like that... err.. maybe it does! But the Duc has a LOT of POWER below 2500rpm.. and that´s whem mine does the best millage around town, that is! Of course it does better doing 55 on the freeway...
Francisco Enes is offline   Reply With Quote