Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #16
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
First user experience, once I got over the "new & shiny" excitement, was lukewarm. Necessitated by lack of buttons, the Zumo interface requires more involved navigation between menus. The only real shortcut I found is the long press of the "Back" button, which takes you to the main screen. That is wrong; it should go back to Map since the user is more likely to have jumped out of Map screen when drilling down some adjustment menus.
?
Robert, if I just tap the back button it will take me back to the previous page I was using. If I firmly press the back button down, then it will take me back to the main menu. But I can go one page at a time or several depending on how I press the Back button
I like riding by shortest distance, I want back roads and my 450 is very good at giving me those with that setting. The 220 is not, it wants to route on main roads. I began thinking of the 220 as Long Way Around.
I bought my Zumo 450 on a whim; I was really looking for a compass to put on my bike. No one could have convinced me I needed a GPS. But it greatly improved the quality of my rides.
Good luck with your 660.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Robert, if I just tap the back button it will take me back to the previous page I was using. If I firmly press the back button down, then it will take me back to the main menu. But I can go one page at a time or several depending on how I press the Back button
I like riding by shortest distance, I want back roads and my 450 is very good at giving me those with that setting. The 220 is not, it wants to route on main roads. I began thinking of the 220 as Long Way Around.
I bought my Zumo 450 on a whim; I was really looking for a compass to put on my bike. No one could have convinced me I needed a GPS. But it greatly improved the quality of my rides.
Good luck with your 660.
That's what made me unhappy about the "back" button. Short taps take a screen back, that's fine - but long press goes to main menu. Since am riding in Map View, now I have to press one more button to get that. Presumably, no one rides with main menu on display. I am missing the instant returnability (?) to Map View with the Map button on StreetPilots or the Page button on Quest receivers.
I know it is a minor quibble, but it shows me that some design choices were not made by riders.

I do agree that GPS receivers improve riding experience. When I first started (with a GPS III, then GPS V, remember those?), it was really just a novelty farkle due to the small screen size and resolution.
Today's crop of receivers greatly enhances my riding, bringing it up to a quite new level. It is a tool for a cross-country haul, for sure, but it really changed how I do my favorite roaming-about through backwater byways and neighborhoods. I ride with the receiver left in map mode and, quite often, become intrigued by the small turn-off just ready to scroll by - so insignificant that it would not be shown on the state-scale paper maps I have. The receiver just encourages me to turn in and check that road out. In combination with a paper map on the tank bag for a larger overview, it gives me a great geographical awareness.

Works for me, in any case... ;-)

Best regards, Robert.
rdwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
That's what made me unhappy about the "back" button. Short taps take a screen back, that's fine - but long press goes to main menu. Since am riding in Map View, now I have to press one more button to get that. Presumably, no one rides with main menu on display. I am missing the instant returnability (?) to Map View with the Map button on StreetPilots or the Page button on Quest receivers.
I know it is a minor quibble, but it shows me that some design choices were not made by riders.

I do agree that GPS receivers improve riding experience. When I first started (with a GPS III, then GPS V, remember those?), it was really just a novelty farkle due to the small screen size and resolution.
Today's crop of receivers greatly enhances my riding, bringing it up to a quite new level. It is a tool for a cross-country haul, for sure, but it really changed how I do my favorite roaming-about through backwater byways and neighborhoods. I ride with the receiver left in map mode and, quite often, become intrigued by the small turn-off just ready to scroll by - so insignificant that it would not be shown on the state-scale paper maps I have. The receiver just encourages me to turn in and check that road out. In combination with a paper map on the tank bag for a larger overview, it gives me a great geographical awareness.
Works for me, in any case... ;-)
Best regards, Robert.
I use my GPS in a different manner. I rarely look at its map; I run routes continually in a direction I wish to travel. I have a destination in mind I may only whish to get close too and I use auto routing to get me there.
My Zumo 450 is very good at this. It tends to route me the way I am traveling by the shortest distance to my destination.
If I see an interesting road, I just pull onto it and the Zumo will give me a new route to my destination by the shortest distance without making a U-turn.
I find this a lot of fun and makes exploring easy and fruitful.
I once crossed western Oregon, north to south, all on back roads, using 6 addresses to route too. It was a fun ride.
I really do not have an issue with how the back button works. If I use it while I am riding I am only a page or two from my map. One or two taps will bring me back. But I rarely use the back button when I am riding; I am generally parked when I need it.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote