Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
No hating, just a different point of view to yours

Tablets are simply not business tools. Can they be used for niche aspects of business ? Of course, but will they take over from laptops ? Not a chance. Wonderful tools but they will never be viewed as essential business tools.
It depends on the system. My Ortho doesn't need to lug a laptop around with him from exam room to exam room. The iPad effectively takes the place of a bigger, more expensive piece of equipment. He can even pull up my x-rays on it. It's an "essential business tool" for him.

No, tablets in their current form and limitations won't take the place of current laptops, but I do believe their form factor eventually will. The keybord won't become obsolete, it's just so much faster to type, but it I don't think it's going to stay attached to the machine. Convergence is the word of the day. Also, with the continued ubiquitousness of WiFi-type networks, I think "cloud" storage will begin to take the place of onboard storage mediums.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #47
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
It depends on the system. My Ortho doesn't need to lug a laptop around with him from exam room to exam room. The iPad effectively takes the place of a bigger, more expensive piece of equipment. He can even pull up my x-rays on it. It's an "essential business tool" for him.

No, tablets in their current form and limitations won't take the place of current laptops, but I do believe their form factor eventually will. The keybord won't become obsolete, it's just so much faster to type, but it I don't think it's going to stay attached to the machine. Convergence is the word of the day. Also, with the continued ubiquitousness of WiFi-type networks, I think "cloud" storage will begin to take the place of onboard storage mediums.
It's a matter of security architecture, for most businesses that actually give a damn. The current breed is simply incapable to the degree necessary for folks to embrace it at the enterprise level w/o concessions.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #48
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oh, yeah.

Went to a little art festival a few weeks ago. Bought a fun little fridge magnet.

Guess what he used to run my credit card and update his inventory.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #49
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
It's a matter of security architecture, for most businesses that actually give a damn. The current breed is simply incapable to the degree necessary for folks to embrace it at the enterprise level w/o concessions.
Think that will eventually change or is this as good as it will ever get?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #50
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz View Post
The idea that tablets are only for consumption of information is another leftover from someone's reality distortion field. Why can't a tablet be an information generator?!?!?!?!?

It's a fucking computer!!!! Let me create stuff with it!!! Let it read my handwriting. Let me type on it. Let me be able to carry it around easily. Let me share it with people. Let me use it for hours and hours and hours at a time before recharging. Let me create applications for it, ON it. Let it replace my laptop/desktop computer (well maybe let me keep one as a storage server, K?).

Hell, a tablet computer is roughly the size of writing pad of paper. Add a pen/stylist and you have something. Do you realize how much information has be generated in mans history on just this simple thing of pen and paper?!?!? Digitize it's features, and you might have something there Tex.

I haven't jumped on the tablet wagon just because what's out there isn't that good for creating information. I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a computer that just lets me play with little apps, surf the web, read a book, or do simple email/thread replies (without shitting itself)
Your comments are perfectly valid. My comments are more related to the current tablet OSes and hardware.

I think part of the current problem is the vague nature of the digitizers used in the iOS and Android tablets. They are just too vague to replicate the pen and paper experience. I am not a technical person so I can't tell you the reasons why. However, I can't take effective notes on my iPad with the current format. I have tried just about every note taking app and stylus. Does't matter. Too vague.

I had an HP Elitebook convertible tablet that I loved. That thing with OneNote was killer. Stone cold reliable. If MSurface can meld the best of iOS/Android and the convertible tablets, I think content creation is possible.

Also, to the guy talking about his doctor's office: viewing xrays isn't content creation. It is image viewing. I wouldn't consider completing a pre-designed form to be content creation either. If the form was coded on an iPad, that would be content creation. However, we are getting pedantic at this point.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #51
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,550
It will be nice to run Ubuntu on top of this thing.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #52
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,693
http://www.wimp.com/newtablet/
Ubuntu might be necessary!
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #53
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Went to a little art festival a few weeks ago. Bought a fun little fridge magnet.
Guess what he used to run my credit card and update his inventory.
?

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #54
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,868
the Surface isn't going to roll out with any wireless data capability I.e. cellular. Why?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #55
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
the Surface isn't going to roll out with any wireless data capability I.e. cellular. Why?
Because the vast majority of tablets sold are wifi only.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #56
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
I have an iPad3 and like it for a lot of reasons. Productivity isn't one.

If the keyboard/cover thingy on the Surface really works and I can get a proper MS Word software complete with annotation/correction functionality that seamlessly syncs with my Windows laptop AND it's cheaper than an iPad, I would seriously consider it.
This sums up my thoughts exactly. I love my iPad but am not closed to other products. When I bought this iPad (first generation) it was the first new technology I had adopted "first", but the minute I saw it I knew it was the right product for me.

It actually has features I use at work. I can keep my engineering plan sets on it and call them up during site visits for discussion, for example. Design manuals are saved for fast reference. Maps and google earth are in our toolkit for land development. And so forth. But as a business traveler I also like the movies, long battery life, and 3G plus wifi capabilities. I have had times when my pc laptop would simple not log in for an email session, and the iPad performed flawlessly. It has been a revolutionary product for my life and I never felt it was a mistake.

Is it a replacement for a laptop? No, in a business sense it's a complement to it, but that's hardly the point. Repeating the mantra that tablets aren't as good as laptops is trite and all, but users of tablets aren't asking for laptop computing power. I have no pretensions of running a heavy duty engineering simulation on an iPad. But once out in the field, the iPad shines with portability and simplicity. A laptop just cant do it.

All this said, Surface looks really cool though, and if it offers something more akin to a laptop than the iPad, while still retaining tablet portability and functionality, I thnk it will be a strong contender. If Microsoft manages to actually take these "toy" arguments and produce a business machine with this level of portability, it will be the next step in my view.

FinlandThumper screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 10:41 PM
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #57
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I think this is a major mistake. My iPad is on 3G nearly as often as wifi. The surface will not do well in Europe if there is no 3G version.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #58
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
I think this is a major mistake. My iPad is on 3G nearly as often as wifi. The surface will not do well in Europe if there is no 3G version.
You are in the minority. There was a report in the last month or so that estimated only ~10% of tablets sold are 3g, so it's clearly not a deal breaker for the vast majority (says me posting from my wifi only tablet).
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 AM   #59
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:

We agree...mostly

Nobody has found that sweet spot of tablet/laptop convergence. Not sure if this is it but it maybe closer than most.

I disagree about the whole cloud thing. Cloud is a marketing term, the whole thing client has been around for decades. I still think the network has to improve before people will accept cloud-based storage - ask Google who's laptops have tanked.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #60
Xeraux
Archvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah aaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahaha!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: