ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #16231
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Video

Per Eddy's request here is the video he shot of Dan and I battling it out in the water.
skychs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #16232
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
Fun times today!
On that last video:
3:38 Dan soaked my ass! If I only had a TW400.
4:08 Chuck and Dan give each other a mud bath! No winners, equally soaked...a draw!
7:21 I got super squirrely, thought that I was going to get exfoliated in that sand!
8:17 I see what looks like Chuck going head to head with a monster truck!
9:20 Inattentive site foreman trying to t-bone Chuck!

I say we do the levels and Shoe Creek next time. My TW is going to RIDE up there in the back of my truck!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #16233
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
looks like I missed another fun run....I tried to compensate by folding myself into the Accord and trying out this fairly new Richmond brewery, Hardywood...open 2-5pm Sat. for tastings (free & generous)

The signature brew, Singel is a very nice belgian blonde ale. There is also a decent IPA called Hoplar and a fantastic
limited edition 'Bourbon Cru'....I had to buy the Porter as they had no samples of that today....took a nice informal brewery tour as well....

Not riding but a close second
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #16234
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
looks like I missed another fun run....I tried to compensate by folding myself into the Accord and trying out this fairly new Richmond brewery, Hardywood...open 2-5pm Sat. for tastings (free & generous)
Do they still have the Mocha Belgique? That was my fave. I took a bottle to H14's a few months ago, but with the cool, warm, cool, warm temp changes it went through it didn't taste half as yummy as the fresh brew.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #16235
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
ride to jump anyone?

Never mind prior info posted - how about: any interest, generally speaking? Skychs and I are starting to chat about a jump event during the fall sometime.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn

MotoMujer screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 09:35 AM
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #16236
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Hardywood...open 2-5pm Sat. for tastings (free & generous)

I haven't made it there yet, but I can't wait. A law has passed in VA that will allow them to serve pints and sell growlers in addition to the samples they serve now. I believe it goes into effect 7/1. That's a nice step in right direction for craft beer in the Commonwealth.

Long time Virginian's may not realize this, but other states have bars and breweries that don't have a full kitchen. I never noticed this difference till it was pointed out to me few years ago.

I suspect that this shift will lead to a boom in the number of craft breweries here as the price of admission just dropped drastically.

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #16237
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Do they still have the Mocha Belgique?
No samples of that on tap so I had to buy a bottle so I could try it
At this point, everything they brew with the exception of the Singel is somewhat 'limited'.
They did just add two more 80 barrel tanks though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
...A law has passed in VA that will allow them to serve pints and sell growlers in addition to the samples they serve now. I believe it goes into effect 7/1.
That was the buzz around the bar...it may bring an end to the free samples....talk was the first will be free then something like $1 for others....next Saturday is likely to be the end of the current generosity
They are having quite a 4th of July party coming as well, check the website...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #16238
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
Never mind prior info posted - how about: any interest, generally speaking? Skychs and I are starting to chat about a jump event during the fall sometime.
Even though heights and I are mortal enemies, I would indeed love to try this. Keep me posted. I'm assuming I'm too fat for a tandem (250lbs), so I suppose I'll have to go solo.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #16239
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Even though heights and I are mortal enemies, I would indeed love to try this. Keep me posted. I'm assuming I'm too fat for a tandem (250lbs), so I suppose I'll have to go solo.
That would be AFF - Accelerated Free Fall, or static. Not sure anyone does the latter anymore.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 AM   #16240
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
The ADV barter system is alive and well! Thanks Ryan. Started with 1 pull!

You're welcome!! and thank you for the tires sir. I put 1,873 miles on them in 3 days
Old 06-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #16241
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Here ya go Rick: Is there a weight limit? Sky Dive Orange
The normal weight limit is 220 lbs. If you are heavier than this but still reasonably proportioned, you may still be eligible even up to 285 lbs, but this will cost extra.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #16242
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Skydiving

Brenda and I talked yesterday about getting an "Adventure" group together to go skydiving. The most popular and easy way to experience the thrill is to go Tandem. If you want to jump by yourself, like Guy said, you can go AFF but it requires a lot of training.

IMHO .... The best time to go skydiving is during what they call a "Boogie". A "Boogie" is when they invite large groups of skydivers as well as large turbine aircraft. When they have large turbine aircraft the jumps are typically made from higher altitudes which equals longer skydives. More bang for the buck. In addition there are more loads during the day which makes for better entertainment for the spectators on the ground. In simple terms a skydiving Boogie is the same thing as a motorcycle rally. It's just more fun.

Prices vary between drop zones and aircraft but the typical cost of a tandem is around $200. Videos are available for an additional cost. Group rates are available at most facilities.

In Virginia there are two facilities I would recommend .... Skydive Orange in Orange Va and Skydive The Point which is now called Virginia Skydiving Center and operating out of the Dinwiddie airport just south of Richmond. They both operate turbine aircraft full time and have been around a long time.

I think Brenda has challenged all you rough and tuff guys to a skydive so who wants to go? Weight limits for tandems are around 250 lbs. You have to be at least 18 years old and for you old guys ... There is no age limit on the high side. Even if some of you are too scared to jump we can still get a group to ride over for support.
skychs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #16243
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,014
Greetings from Hillbillystan

This is the time of year I love. It was 58F on the front porch this morning, and the only traffic were the hummingbirds dive-bombing me as I drank my coffee. Had a fantastic ride out yesterday from Richmond. Was 94F when I left, and around 80F when I got here. Tried the Hatton Ferry yet again, and was foiled as usual. The river is too low for it to cross. I'm 0-4 now on that ferry.

Just wanted to taunt you retired guys with nothing to do. I'm here working on the old homestead, and will be here bach'ing it all week. Building forms for footers today. Have the concrete arriving on Wednesday. In the meantime I have a beautiful cabin with extra rooms, in the midst of god's motorcycle country, open for visitors. Teresa arrives on Saturday, so you'll have to be gone by then, but if you bring beer and steaks, you have a free place to stay any night this week.

We are about 5 miles south of Franklin, just off Rt 220. Rt 33 is to the north, but I come in Rt 250 from Staunton. We are surrounded by great DS roads too, and I've got a DOT map of every dirt road in the county. Oh, I do have my GS here, so I might be able to ride a bit too.

PM me if anyone wants to come out. Put your phone # in the PM so I can call you. Running into town for internet is a PITA.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #16244
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Here ya go Rick: Is there a weight limit? Sky Dive Orange
The normal weight limit is 220 lbs. If you are heavier than this but still reasonably proportioned, you may still be eligible even up to 285 lbs, but this will cost extra.
Well, reasonably proportioned could mean many things, I suppose.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #16245
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Brenda and I talked yesterday about getting an "Adventure" group together to go skydiving.

I think Brenda has challenged all you rough and tuff guys to a skydive so who wants to go?There is no age limit on the high side. Even if some of you are too scared to jump we can still get a group to ride over for support.
Ha. Way to throw down the gauntlet, but I've got too many jumps from under 1000 ft, with 120+ lbs of gear in a ruck and a weapon strapped to me, to feel the need to pick it up. I survived those with no major injuries, so I think I'll pass on this rough and tuff challenge. I've pushed my luck in that area too many times.

I might be willing to ride over and watch though. Heck, my wife has solo jumped so you guys ought to be able to do it!

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote