User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Vulfy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Well from that video, I can see that you are leaning into the turn. I was doing the same thing earlier, and had a really hard time making the bike lean to its maximum.

Here is the explanation we got from UK Gymkhana folks.

When you are doing a tight turn, you must be more concerned about your rear wheel than anything else. Rear wheel is solidly connected to the bike, so the only way to turn it, is to lean it. So when you are doing a tight turn for Gymkhana, you want MAXIMUM lean on the bike + full lock on the bars to get the tightest turn possible.

Before, I was playing with different body postures, but still preferred leaning into the turn. This works great when you are at speed, since in a turn at speed, you want to minimize the lean of the bike, so you get more traction and you don't run out of lean angle on your bike and go wide.

Here its opposite. You WANT to lean the bike as much as you can.

The easiest way to do that, is to counter balance with your torso. Lean the bike under you, but keep the torso to the outer side of the turn. You can see top Gymkhana riders are doing the same.

Just my observation. The slower you go, the more counterbalance you have to do. In the video above, rider is going at a pretty brisk pace, but he is still counter leaning a little bit, not as much as me though since I'm going slower, so speed also plays a part here.

As a side note, I was scraping my pegs and sides of my boots on some of these turns. Speed Triple is a sports bike, it has a decent clearance. So you can sort of imagine how far I was leaning the bike, to be able to touch pavement with my pegs.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote