Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #331
Motociclista
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 14,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
The games have been entertaining and thankfully the best teams have won.

BUT...What's with the fans and all the hateful behavior?

Is the hate as dominant as it appears?

Like it or not this IS a part of the official 2012 Euro tournament and while it may not be as big as the games themselves it is part of the story.
Soccer is soccer ... in the 70's a man was killed by a rocket in Rome. Yep ... a rocket.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #332
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
The games have been entertaining and thankfully the best teams have won.

BUT...What's with the fans and all the hateful behavior?

Is the hate as dominant as it appears?

Like it or not this IS a part of the official 2012 Euro tournament and while it may not be as big as the games themselves it is part of the story.
Idiots are everywhere. Right wing parties are around 10% in a few, mostly east german regions. That is more about protest than pure support. There are few other things that shock the other parties more. The parties are irrelevant in most parts of Germany.
I am disgusted by this anyways.
The UEFA is very good in keeping the things under wrap. The tv coverage looks absolutely clean with everything cut out.
Goal.com says it was a banner written in Fraktur saying "Gott mit uns". I am not sure, if "God with us" can be construed as nazism. Depends on the people who held up the banner. The term is centuries old. It has a distinct militaristic undertone though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gott_mit_uns
ThePikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #333
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Man, guys, I can barely stand the tension. I haven't slept well the last couple of nights, I am tense and edgy, and, overall, just a bit out of sorts. Not knowing how this tourney is going to turn out is almost unbearable. I love it!

Portugal over Spain today, CRonaldo to become a near legend.

Germany 4-1 over Italy tomorrow.

Germany beats Portugal 3-2 in the final, Oezil outshines CRonaldo.

Will that work for you fine folks?

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #334
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
Portugal over Spain today, CRonaldo to become a near legend.
So far this is not the case. Extra time could prove otherwise...
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #335
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
So far this is not the case. Extra time could prove otherwise...
Not even a PK for CR...
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #336
tonto
Son of a preacher man

Oddometer: 1,523
Fabregas you beauty
tonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #337
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Well, I didn't get it right today, hopefully my pick for tomorrow is better!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.

TheWorstKind screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 02:47 PM
Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #338
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
I was rooting for the Porkchops as I'm friends w/ a bunch from Ironbound (Newark, NJ)

I also hate PKs - play until someone scores.

With that said

Siegen Deutschland
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #339
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
I was rooting for the Porkchops as I'm friends w/ a bunch from Ironbound (Newark, NJ)

I also hate PKs - play until someone scores.

With that said

Siegen Deutschland
Portugal was playing with their last breath after 120 minutes. What's the use of letting them play longer?
There also needs to be a fixed latest end to a game for fans, tv and logistical reasons. Keeping mass transit from the stadium to the city on hold indefinitely?

Nice game today. Portugal did a good job in forcing Spain to bad passes. There were a bit weak in possession to really do something with it though.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #340
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Why didn't CR take the first PK ?
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #341
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,456
Not the most edifying game but the best (just) team won. Ronaldo chokes again when it counts (if you want a comparison with Zidane you may go no further than that).

Fabregas broke his leg taking a penalty for Arsenal (against Barcelona IIRC) and it was lovely to see him score the goal that puts Spain in the final. He has been a workhorse for the Spanish team (Jordi Alba is my top pick - a position I thought they'd have trouble with with the retirement of Capdevila, but I think Alba is better).

There is something still not clicking with this Spanish team and Del Bosque seems unable to find the key that unlocks them. As tough as Ramos has been at CB, Puyol in that position with Ramos moved to the right where he is better than Arbeloa fits them better.

But even Xavi and Busquets have been quiet by their standards (Alonso has looked stellar in comparison which isn't usually the case).

As for the order in which Ronaldo was to take the penalty that must have been the coach's decision. In hindsight he should have gone first but who knows

On to tomorrow which I expect to be far more entertaining. While I still expect the German's to win it, the manner of their winning will tell me if they have the measure of the Spanish.

Assuming a Spain - Germany final Del Bosque surely has to play Llorente as the #9 with Fabregas behind him and Navas and Pedro as wingers. So expect none of these things
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #342
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Funny that you "like" Jordi Alba - he is the one Spain player I really do not like. Must be because he is good. I think he is a sniveling whiner!

In regards to the penalties, many coaches designate their best penalty takers in slots 1 and 5. There are some pros amd cons for this convention, and we certainly saw a con yesterday. A pro, of course, would have been Ronaldo taking the potential winning kick.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #343
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDERHEAD View Post
Why didn't CR take the first PK ?
He was assigned the spot with the potential highest pressure.
It is often enough the do or die spot.

I hope Germany can wrap this up without penalty kicks today.
Otherwise I really have some work to do fixing my fingernails tomorrow.

Italy - Germany is always a classic. The Italian 4-3-1-2 is one of the most interesting formations with Pirlo as regista in the back of the diamond.

We'll see how good the italian defense is against - well... writing names here would be stupid, I have no idea who Löw will play. Could be any combination of left wing, Schürrle, Podolski, Reus; right wing Müller Reus and center Klose Gomez. I am not even sure Özil will play center. He might be put on the right wing with Kroos in the center. That would really be annoying for Pirlo, though destroying a bit of creativity in the German team.
There was also a rumor that Bender might be put back into right back position. That could be, if Löw has some tactical ideas to add a third midfielder at times with Bender playing as destroyer in front of the then back 3 (Holding midfielder is his normal position). So basically a 3-3-3-1 formation. That would counter the midfield advantage of Italy (4v3). Italy plays quite narrow with this diamond and their fullbacks are pinned back by the German wingers, so the German fullbacks might be without much work. Bender would be free to harass the business end of the diamond while the 3 defenders that are left take care of Cassano and Balotelli.
It will be interesting to see, if Italy keeps with finishing their attacks with a (mostly bad) shot on goal to deny chances to counter. I am not sure that will work with Neuer in goal though. He can be awesome fast in distribution with one of his trademarks being fast throws to the middle line. Italy can be beaten by speed. They haven't really faced that, yet. Spain slowly engineers their goals, still lacking some punch and Croatia didn't counter with enough verve.

If Italy hasn't shot any goals until the 60th minute, I expect them to get beaten badly. They were shot from that time on against a weak england side that didn't force them to move much.

That was enough babbling I think. I got to get ready to leave.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #344
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
Portugal was playing with their last breath after 120 minutes. What's the use of letting them play longer?
There also needs to be a fixed latest end to a game for fans, tv and logistical reasons. Keeping mass transit from the stadium to the city on hold indefinitely?

Nice game today. Portugal did a good job in forcing Spain to bad passes. There were a bit weak in possession to really do something with it though.
Funny that ur German sensibilities about train times - dood break the stereotype

But for real IDGF about if ur tired, or fans have a train to catch or TV goes long - play to U die!!

Forza Alemania!
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #345
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

FCUK

I just got home & the eye-ties are beating them WTF???

And how is the guy w/ the goofy mohawk an eye-tie, just sayin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: