Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #1606
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
Cable length isn't the issue. The issue is that the fitting that comes out of the clutch master cylinder is straight and too long as opposed to a brake style banjo fitting. I've got a feeling that I'm going to have to switch over to and aftermarket narrow switch set that will let me slide the clutch lever perch farther out.
What switch do you have now?

The stock Euro KTM CEV one is super compact and also very durable. I've got an extra if you need one.

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #1607
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post

The stock Euro KTM CEV one is super compact and also very durable. I've got an extra if you need one.

That looks cool. Can I run over and pick up your extra!!! Oh wait you are in Austria!

Do you have info on how I can order one? Cost?

Thanks

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #1608
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
It's the stock US market switch setup. The real problem with it is that the housing is too thick on the back side of the bar. As a result the thumbscrew adjuster on the clutch lever hits the housing if the perch is moved any further toward the end of the bar.

Quote:
I might take you up on that offer. I just wonder if the wiring harnesses are the same between the US and Euro spec models.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #1609
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
same boat

I am in the same boat. I am about to give in and buy the new switch that is plug and play. I fiddled with it just enough to ease pressure on HDB spacer, but now my clutch won't engage all the way. When I go from neutral to first it grabs pretty good. I almost have to put it in neutral at stops to keep it from pulling... Could we get some pictures from those not having problems. That have EXC's not XCW's. We know why those who were smart enough to get the XCW have yet another reason they made the better choice... I have a feeling that a smaller switch is in order, since Paul himself used his XCW for fitment I am sure.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #1610
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
ya gotta get rid of the stock switch housing, and get a smaller switch housing.

Paul at HDB sells these types of switch housings for a good price:

With a better switch housing, you can get the clutch in much closer. In my case, I moved to a better clutch lever as well

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:04 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #1611
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
It's the stock US market switch setup. The real problem with it is that the housing is too thick on the back side of the bar. As a result the thumbscrew adjuster on the clutch lever hits the housing if the perch is moved any further toward the end of the bar.

I might take you up on that offer. I just wonder if the wiring harnesses are the same between the US and Euro spec models.
Ok I know that switch from my buddies US spec Husaberg, it is indeed quite bulky especially at the back and if I remember correctly it does not even allow you to switch off the headlight due to DOT regulation? I'm pretty sure that is the only difference with the Euro light - which does allow switching off - and the rest of the wiring is plug & play. KTM is pretty good that way, I have had that same switch on all my KTMs, from my first 1998 620 SC all the way to the 2012 fuel injected FE570.

I can take some detailed pics of the wiring colors tomorrow so you can compare it to yours. Here is what the plugs look like, I assume they are the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
That looks cool. Can I run over and pick up your extra!!! Oh wait you are in Austria!

Do you have info on how I can order one? Cost?

Thanks
I'll try to find out the part numbers, but I know you can order it from US dealers. Unfortunately it's very expensive, you need a couple of parts and all together retail is almost $150...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #1612
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Ok I know that switch from my buddies US spec Husaberg, it is indeed quite bulky especially at the back and if I remember correctly it does not even allow you to switch off the headlight due to DOT regulation? I'm pretty sure that is the only difference with the Euro light - which does allow switching off - and the rest of the wiring is plug & play. KTM is pretty good that way, I have had that same switch on all my KTMs, from my first 1998 620 SC all the way to the 2012 fuel injected FE570.

I can take some detailed pics of the wiring colors tomorrow so you can compare it to yours. Here is what the plugs look like, I assume they are the same?

I'll try to find out the part numbers, but I know you can order it from US dealers. Unfortunately it's very expensive, you need a couple of parts and all together retail is almost $150...
Get the switch from Sicass Racing. I am installing one tonight and am confident it will solve the problem. Here is a link for the part. http://sicassracing.com/store/produc...dded36ba0b8681
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 AM   #1613
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
Get the switch from Sicass Racing. I am installing one tonight and am confident it will solve the problem. Here is a link for the part. http://sicassracing.com/store/produc...dded36ba0b8681
Except they are currently out of stock. First place I looked.

It looks like the HDB switch housing might be the answer, but I assume that there will be some cutting and splicing required? How deep is it behind the bar?
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #1614
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Headlight switch:http://www.ktm-parts.com/50311070000.html

Turn signal: http://www.ktm-parts.com/50311029000.html

They are available in the US.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #1615
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Headlight switch:http://www.ktm-parts.com/50311070000.html

Turn signal: http://www.ktm-parts.com/50311029000.html

They are available in the US.
Yeah that looks right, but you also need an adapter piece for the blinker switch, plus some nuts and bolts to fasten the whole thing together.

Has anybody tried it on the 500 or do you guys want me to post the wire colors to confirm?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #1616
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Yeah that looks right, but you also need an adapter piece for the blinker switch, plus some nuts and bolts to fasten the whole thing together.

Has anybody tried it on the 500 or do you guys want me to post the wire colors to confirm?
Adapter: 13011070060
Screw x2: 0985040163
Screw X2: 0084040223
Nut X2: 0934040003

I think that's it.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #1617
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Sorry guys

That sucks I wont bust you EXC guys balls over this one.

Have any of you looked into making a different Clutch line instead of having to mess with the wiring? It would be alot cheaper and faster.
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #1618
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,274
We spent the day at the track

This evening I pulled the bike apart and put new springs in and installed a scotts.
Also went with a different height riser... its perfect now

I love how changing the spring in the rear is a 2 minute job

pardon the crappy tapatalk hosted compressed pics from my phone
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #1619
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
The Sicass switch solved the clutch lever clearance problem nicely and helped somewhat with the clutch cable routing below the HDB swivel.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 AM   #1620
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,822
EXC Clearance?

Is the problem with the EXC or with the HDB top clamp mount.

I have no issues but I run normal bark busters and standard levers. All seem to work fine for me.

I do have a question on EXC wiring. If I use the Sicass switch will it allow me to run the bike without turning on the lights etc. I am constantly forgetting to turn off the bike when stopped. Just not use to it. I have no use or desire for a key switch.

Any suggestions?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote