ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #3286
cug
.
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
To be completely serious, the MTS1200 was never intended to be a bike to lug around at low rpms. The basis for the engine was originally WSBK racing (tuned differently of course).
I can see that. No problem. Don't get me wrong here: my criticism is based on the first models that hit the States, the first fuel map that arrived here where lots of people said the engine is lagging, hacking, unhappy in that rev range.

On the other hand, the Multi is marketed as bike that is meant also for urban traffic which might include stop and go and super slow rolling and also enduro style riding which means often enough slowly and carefully chugging through difficult passages. The Multi I rode didn't like those two things at all. Flowing with the traffic at 15mph was very, very uncomfortable, it was hacking, slapping the chain, vibrating and so on. Totally possible that a newer map corrected that, I never tested one again. The R1200GS I could ride at 5mph without any trouble. And YES, I understand that these are totally different bikes.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not "nitpicking" the Multi, I'm saying what I didn't like when I rode it. I wrote a blog entry shortly after I rode one and had a few things that really annoyed me on that test ride. Interesting enough all these things were addressed in the 2011 and 2012 models. Being that the short rider seat space, the uneven fueling at steady speed, the luggage where you could look through the manufacturing gaps, I even read that the centerstand was slightly altered so that you don't get your heel on it all the time, though I cannot really confirm that as test sitting on a 2012 model felt the same for me with regard to that. I don't own a Multi, I test rode one twice and that were the results. If I owned one, I might start with the real problems but I never got that far as I disliked it already during the test ride enough so that the telepathic handling, the insane power, the unbelievably good brakes, and the really, really nice riding position couldn't make me buy one. And believe me - I was in the market.

When I'm ready for my next bike I will ride one again and see whether the things I didn't like and that were supposedly addressed did something that makes it better for me, because from my perspective all these things are so unnecessary. Not certain about the low speed manners, as that might just be engine characteristic, but the rest was probably easily dealt with and some of it shouldn't have happened in the first place (luggage, and imho centerstand).

But you know what - I didn't like the Multi enough to buy one, you did, so where's the problem? I'm not addressing anybody here personally (other than now ignoring some people), I'm saying what my impression of the bike was when I test rode it.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #3287
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,724
Mutleys to Alaska???

I seem to remember one or more inmates here saying they were going to be taking their Italian princesses up to Alaska this summer. If anyone has, or will, please post a link to your RR here. I'd love to read about how they fare on the trip, especially the Dirty Dalton/Dempster portions.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #3288
SayItAintSo
Wanna be
 
SayItAintSo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I seem to remember one or more inmates here saying they were going to be taking their Italian princesses up to Alaska this summer. If anyone has, or will, please post a link to your RR here. I'd love to read about how they fare on the trip, especially the Dirty Dalton/Dempster portions.

-SM
You thinking about making a trip?
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #3289
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
You thinking about making a trip?
Been thinkin' about it for years. Originally got my GS with that in mind, but life got in the way and I had to put everything on hold. Now I'm back thinkin' about it again and hope some other "pioneers" will be the first and tell us what mods worked, and what mods didn't. I'm perfectly OK with learning from other's successes......and mistakes.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #3290
SayItAintSo
Wanna be
 
SayItAintSo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Been thinkin' about it for years. Originally got my GS with that in mind, but life got in the way and I had to put everything on hold. Now I'm back thinkin' about it again and hope some other "pioneers" will be the first and tell us what mods worked, and what mods didn't. I'm perfectly OK with learning from other's successes......and mistakes.

-SM
I've done several Ironbutt rides and the "Key West to Deadhorse in 30 days" ride is on my bucketlist. I always keep an eye out for any RR that has Alaska in the title.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #3291
jimmex
Wanderer
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Bloody hell, just found this vid of a Mutly 12 from behind through some twisting stuff:



Very entertaining. I think I might have underestimated the sports side of this beast. The steering looks magnificent.

Nice riding from the chase bike - a GS. Looks like the Duc pilot - who obviously rides very well - was waiting for him every now and again.
Not very much though; pretty impressive the rubber cow.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #3292
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NMEXPAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
...On the other hand, the Multi is marketed as bike that is meant also for urban traffic which might include stop and go and super slow rolling and also enduro style riding which means often enough slowly and carefully chugging through difficult passages. The Multi I rode didn't like those two things at all. Flowing with the traffic at 15mph was very, very uncomfortable, it was hacking, slapping the chain, vibrating and so on. Totally possible that a newer map corrected that, I never tested one again. The R1200GS I could ride at 5mph without any trouble. And YES, I understand that these are totally different bikes.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not "nitpicking" the Multi, I'm saying what I didn't like when I rode it. I wrote a blog entry shortly after I rode one and had a few things that really annoyed me on that test ride. Interesting enough all these things were addressed in the 2011 and 2012 models. Being that the short rider seat space, the uneven fueling at steady speed, the luggage where you could look through the manufacturing gaps, I even read that the centerstand was slightly altered so that you don't get your heel on it all the time, though I cannot really confirm that as test sitting on a 2012 model felt the same for me with regard to that. I don't own a Multi, I test rode one twice and that were the results. If I owned one, I might start with the real problems but I never got that far as I disliked it already during the test ride enough so that the telepathic handling, the insane power, the unbelievably good brakes, and the really, really nice riding position couldn't make me buy one. And believe me - I was in the market.

When I'm ready for my next bike I will ride one again and see whether the things I didn't like and that were supposedly addressed did something that makes it better for me, because from my perspective all these things are so unnecessary. Not certain about the low speed manners, as that might just be engine characteristic, but the rest was probably easily dealt with and some of it shouldn't have happened in the first place (luggage, and imho centerstand).

But you know what - I didn't like the Multi enough to buy one, you did, so where's the problem? I'm not addressing anybody here personally (other than now ignoring some people), I'm saying what my impression of the bike was when I test rode it.
Sounds like you treated the demo bike very respectful and kept it tame and within the legal limits. I can appreciate that and I'm sure the dealer does as well. I did the same, but I had a feeling there was a beast inside...

However when you own one, you will quickly find even in urban mode it is too tempting to push the limits or have too much fun. The bike begs to be ridden hard. Stuck in traffic? Not on this bike. Lane split, take short cuts. Feel and enjoy the nimbleness. Have fun while flipping the bird to the man and the system. Passing the cell phone talking bitch in front of you, yeah do it, do it now and do it quickly... Oh no another one? Pass that bitch too! Riding around the neighborhood where some through streets have speed bumps, wheelie them, wheelie them all!

I'm not a stunter. I'm not a hoon. I'm not a squid, riding in flip flops wife beater with the helmet on the side. The abundance of torque and high end rush make all this available. I don't do this everyday, all the time, but when I judge the time and conditions correct it's there. The closest correlation I can think of is like owning a full auto or semi auto rifle and never sending a quick burst down range just because you can.

I'm not a die hard ducatista (SP?) either. I realize this post may be misinterpreted as that. I've never ridden any other Ducati in my life. However, the MTS1200 really hit a cord with me, it just so happens to be made by Ducati. I think it's a shame Yamaha or Honda can't make a bike that's even close.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #3293
cug
.
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Sounds like you treated the demo bike very respectful and kept it tame and within the legal limits. I can appreciate that and I'm sure the dealer does as well. I did the same, but I had a feeling there was a beast inside...
The thing is - that's how I ride 95% of the time. I have roughly about 200k miles riding experience, my hooligan times are long over (if they ever existed, I was always fairly down to earth), but from time to time I like to ride quick. Smooth, but quick. The kind of riding that doesn't accelerate much on the straights, but also doesn't brake much for the corners.

I feel the Multistrada could be a lot of fun for these times, though I have my doubts that it would be as nice for the other 95% ... as long as some of the niggles I had were resolved, it might be okay, but it's also possible that it just becomes annoying very quickly. Transferred: I'm not the one living with a hot Italian diva just for the looks and those rare fun times, I like a partner which I can appreciate all the time. I found that in real life, and there are bikes out there that I look after (e.g. the Multi), but where I highly doubt I could live with as my main bike. Would be nice to have an adventure with nonetheless.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #3294
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NMEXPAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
The thing is - that's how I ride 95% of the time. I have roughly about 200k miles riding experience, my hooligan times are long over (if they ever existed, I was always fairly down to earth), but from time to time I like to ride quick. Smooth, but quick. The kind of riding that doesn't accelerate much on the straights, but also doesn't brake much for the corners.

I feel the Multistrada could be a lot of fun for these times, though I have my doubts that it would be as nice for the other 95% ... as long as some of the niggles I had were resolved, it might be okay, but it's also possible that it just becomes annoying very quickly. Transferred: I'm not the one living with a hot Italian diva just for the looks and those rare fun times, I like a partner which I can appreciate all the time. I found that in real life, and there are bikes out there that I look after (e.g. the Multi), but where I highly doubt I could live with as my main bike. Would be nice to have an adventure with nonetheless.
I'll save you time and possibly money, future heartbreak and resentment.

The MTS1200 is NOT for you.

I appreciate your honesty, and hopefully you'll appreciate mine.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3295
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat
 
hillbillypolack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Lidsville
Oddometer: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I can see that. No problem. Don't get me wrong here: my criticism is based on the first models that hit the States, the first fuel map that arrived here where lots of people said the engine is lagging, hacking, unhappy in that rev range.

On the other hand, the Multi is marketed as bike that is meant also for urban traffic which might include stop and go and super slow rolling and also enduro style riding which means often enough slowly and carefully chugging through difficult passages. The Multi I rode didn't like those two things at all. Flowing with the traffic at 15mph was very, very uncomfortable, it was hacking, slapping the chain, vibrating and so on. Totally possible that a newer map corrected that, I never tested one again. The R1200GS I could ride at 5mph without any trouble. And YES, I understand that these are totally different bikes.

What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not "nitpicking" the Multi, I'm saying what I didn't like when I rode it. I wrote a blog entry shortly after I rode one and had a few things that really annoyed me on that test ride. Interesting enough all these things were addressed in the 2011 and 2012 models. Being that the short rider seat space, the uneven fueling at steady speed, the luggage where you could look through the manufacturing gaps, I even read that the centerstand was slightly altered so that you don't get your heel on it all the time, though I cannot really confirm that as test sitting on a 2012 model felt the same for me with regard to that. I don't own a Multi, I test rode one twice and that were the results. If I owned one, I might start with the real problems but I never got that far as I disliked it already during the test ride enough so that the telepathic handling, the insane power, the unbelievably good brakes, and the really, really nice riding position couldn't make me buy one. And believe me - I was in the market.

When I'm ready for my next bike I will ride one again and see whether the things I didn't like and that were supposedly addressed did something that makes it better for me, because from my perspective all these things are so unnecessary. Not certain about the low speed manners, as that might just be engine characteristic, but the rest was probably easily dealt with and some of it shouldn't have happened in the first place (luggage, and imho centerstand).

But you know what - I didn't like the Multi enough to buy one, you did, so where's the problem? I'm not addressing anybody here personally (other than now ignoring some people), I'm saying what my impression of the bike was when I test rode it.
That's a well-written summary of my thoughts on the Multi as well. I test rode two-one recently before trading in my 07 GS for a 2012 camhead.

I wanted to like the Multi, I really did. I also don't ride like a lunatic 90% of the time, but would enjoy the power and torque when I was able to put the spurs to it. The fact that the Multi felt jerky and out of its element in urban settings pushed me away from it. If I'm dropping 20k on a bike, it had best be sorted for its intended purpose. The Multi isn't an 848, where it 'needs' to live in that certain rev range. The Multi is supposed to be able to handle a broader range of riding, conditions and environments. It simply didn't convince me that it was designed for that.

Even if I decided to get the Multi, I wonder how much it would have cost to get the bike sorted for urban riding, commuting in traffic and low speed riding. Don't get me wrong, it's competent at speed but what new bike isn't? At the asking price I was expecting more and it delivered less. I may also test ride a Multi in the future, so let's hope Audi can evolve the bike into a really great machine.
__________________
I found Jesus. He was behind the sofa the whole time.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #3296
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer
 
Dave.0's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The coldest part of Arizona
Oddometer: 614
I have an early 2010 bike and have no complaints about its fueling or low rpm riding. I did the reflashes when they came up but never noticed a real issue. I have almost 30k miles now and its a keeper for me. I plan to ride this thing into the ground. Maybe there is a large difference between bikes or maybe I have low expectations, but the fueling on my wr250x is worse. The MTS 1200 truly is a fantastic bike, as long as you get a "good" one.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #3297
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
Even if I decided to get the Multi, I wonder how much it would have cost to get the bike sorted for urban riding, commuting in traffic and low speed riding. Don't get me wrong, it's competent at speed but what new bike isn't? At the asking price I was expecting more and it delivered less. I may also test ride a Multi in the future, so let's hope Audi can evolve the bike into a really great machine.
For many owners, that cost is.....$0. I have no aftermarket "stuff" on mine like FatDucs, mid-pipes, EFI controllers, etc. It's bone stock. It handles the urban jungle just fine, as well as touring and sport riding. And so far, it has handled all the unsealed roads I've taken it on without issue. If it didn't do these things, and do them VERY well, I never would have gotten it in the first place!

What I do find a bit odd is there are either a wide range of expectations for this bike (along with a wide range of interpretations of "smooth", "torquey", etc), and/or there is a wide range of performance bike-to-bike. Both here and on Multi threads on other boards, there is a very wide range of impressions on this bike, and that just seems strange. Given how Ducati manufactures and tests their bikes (there was a very cool TV show about that a while ago....it might be on YouTube by now), I just don't see how there could be such variability in manufacture, leading me to believe the rider is really the variable, not the bike. Granted, over the last 2 years, all of the ECU updates have steadily improved the machine as a whole, but I still read these vastly different impressions from folks who take 2012's out for a spin!

As another poster said, this bike isn't for everyone, and that's fine. What is very cool is right now we have a LOT of excellent choices in this space (I don't think there's a "bad" one in the bunch), so folks just need to find what blows their skirts up and enjoy the heck out of it.....and let others do the same.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #3298
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I have an early 2010 bike and have no complaints about its fueling or low rpm riding. I did the reflashes when they came up but never noticed a real issue. I have almost 30k miles now and its a keeper for me. I plan to ride this thing into the ground. Maybe there is a large difference between bikes or maybe I have low expectations, but the fueling on my wr250x is worse. The MTS 1200 truly is a fantastic bike, as long as you get a "good" one.


ROFL. Dave and I didn't compare notes before posting, I promise.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #3299
SayItAintSo
Wanna be
 
SayItAintSo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
For many owners, that cost is.....$0. I have no aftermarket "stuff" on mine like FatDucs, mid-pipes, EFI controllers, etc. It's bone stock. It handles the urban jungle just fine, as well as touring and sport riding. And so far, it has handled all the unsealed roads I've taken it on without issue. If it didn't do these things, and do them VERY well, I never would have gotten it in the first place!

What I do find a bit odd is there are either a wide range of expectations for this bike (along with a wide range of interpretations of "smooth", "torquey", etc), and/or there is a wide range of performance bike-to-bike. Both here and on Multi threads on other boards, there is a very wide range of impressions on this bike, and that just seems strange. Given how Ducati manufactures and tests their bikes (there was a very cool TV show about that a while ago....it might be on YouTube by now), I just don't see how there could be such variability in manufacture, leading me to believe the rider is really the variable, not the bike. Granted, over the last 2 years, all of the ECU updates have steadily improved the machine as a whole, but I still read these vastly different impressions from folks who take 2012's out for a spin!

As another poster said, this bike isn't for everyone, and that's fine. What is very cool is right now we have a LOT of excellent choices in this space (I don't think there's a "bad" one in the bunch), so folks just need to find what blows their skirts up and enjoy the heck out of it.....and let others do the same.

-SM
Very good points SM....I've often wondered if it was the riders being "ham fisted" with the Multi when the test rode them and didn't realize it was their riding style/ability that was causing the problem with them thinking the bike wasn't smooth rather than the bike being the problem. I know when riding my wife's Strom and times when I swapped bikes with my friend (who had a GS at the time) the throttle on those other bikes was much more forgiving for imprecise throttle control.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #3300
cug
.
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
I'll save you time and possibly money, future heartbreak and resentment.
That won't happen. I might even get one*next year as a "mistress" for the fun hours but likely not as my main bike. It's a hobby for me, the money doesn't hurt me much, so if I want to I can just try it out ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014