User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Re grinding a square tire

I got rid of my chicken strips today. With a grinder. And an 80 grit disc. My rear tire was starting to feel edgey from the flat spot in the center after 10,000 miles of highway commuting so I thought about grinding it round again. My coworker who is an expert body and frame tech and also a winning stock car- dirt oval driver was walking by so I asked him half jokingly if he ever ground rubber off of a tire before and he said "Only if you want to win!". It turns out that these guys buff up the tires between every heat to take the glaze off. So I borrowed his grinder and went at it with the wheel idling on the stand in first gear. No more than 15 minutes later I had a dust pan full of rubber and a nice round tire again.

sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,361
That is a chicken strip on a 10,000 mile rear tire? Umm...make and model? I will be switching.
TortillaJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507

over 20,000 miles, expect another 20,000 or more, still square and still sticks, whether scraping pegs in twisites or not leaning so much in freezing rain
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
You get 10,000 miles out of a tyre?!! And still more left?

You need to do a few more wheelspins. I'm lucky to get a thousand miles out of mine.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
That is a chicken strip on a 10,000 mile rear tire? Umm...make and model? I will be switching.
That is the stock IRC Roadwinner on my CBR250R. Fantastic tire for OEM. Sticks like glue in the rain and lasts forever. The front tire has no flat center and is hard to tell from new. I should get 20,000 miles out of that one.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
over 20,000 miles, expect another 20,000 or more, still square and still sticks, whether scraping pegs in twisites or not leaning so much in freezing rain
Late 90's vintage Pirelli automotive snow tire? Must feel pretty sketchy making turns around town with such a sharp edge.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Orygunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Late 90's vintage Pirelli automotive snow tire? Must feel pretty sketchy making turns around town with such a sharp edge.
Actually, car tires "flex" to keep a good part of the tread on the ground. It never rolls up "on edge" (or on the sidewall).

Depending on the tire (and whether it's broke in or needs broken in), a little more countersteering pressure is required. nothing "sketchy" at all. :)

...Orygunner...
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Actually I'm not sure the Vulcan qualifies as a bike... two wheeled tank, maybe....With the 2000's clearance I'm not sure the Vulcan could make it around the tightest curves on a track without having to stop and back up...
Orygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
bloodandmotoroil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
this ain't new.. we hot rodders who still use biasplys have to true up the tires some, hell every tire shop in
the world had a tire shaver till the 70's it's old hat.. and dragracers do it all the time.
bloodandmotoroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
General Altimax Arctic, an experiment on the darkside that had been successful beyond my wildest imagination, slow speed handling is a bit funky but ya get used to it, at speed, you can barely tell it's not the stock size MC tire (slower turn in, but no different than if I had the same size MC tire)

I went with the General cause it was the cheapest tire I could find, not knowing if I was going to take it off in a week, for my purposes, my next tire will probably be a Nokian Hakkapeliitta

I ride in conditions that many people wouldn't even go out in in a 4wd SUV

99 SV650
82 XV920R
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
I ride in conditions that many people wouldn't even go out in in a 4wd SUV
Most 4WD SUV's are actually AWD or Fulltime 4WD, which is quite far from a "real" 4WD, you can get stuck with one of those. Plus SUV's are heavy and shitty to drive. I'd take a 4WD sedan if I ever get scared in taking my 2WD car out, which has so far never gotten stuck.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Most 4WD SUV's are actually AWD or Fulltime 4WD, which is quite far from a "real" 4WD, you can get stuck with one of those. Plus SUV's are heavy and shitty to drive. I'd take a 4WD sedan if I ever get scared in taking my 2WD car out, which has so far never gotten stuck.
Yes they are. When I get one it's going to have solid axles at both end and lockers too. It's not snow I wanna drive through, it's rocks.

But I see where you're coming from, even the Grand Cherokee lost its solid front axle. Now the only new vehicle with a decent 4wd system we can get is a Jeep Wrangler.

The furthest away from a SFA I'm willing to go is a TTB in an Exploder or Bronco, and even those quit being made in '95.

And absolutely nothing without 4L.

In my country, that still gives me a pretty wide selection--
Chevy K-5 Blazer
Full size Bronco
Bronco II
Jeep CJ/Wrangler, cherokee, Grand Cherokee (with the 4.0 motor only)
Exploder up to '94
'84-85 4Runner (still some rust-free examples running around here)
Suzuki Samurai
Dodge Ramcharger/Plymouth TrailDuster

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
The one place I don't skimp is on tires. 10k? call it a day. You're not Mert Lawwill slicing his tires with a razor blade before The Springfield Mile.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
sendler OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
The one place I don't skimp is on tires. 10k? call it a day. You're not Mert Lawwill slicing his tires with a razor blade before The Springfield Mile.
Not skimping. It's still good. Proving a point to the car vs. bike guys that my bike not only uses way less gas than a car but is at least on par with total tire usage.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
This could make a very entertaining thread all on its own.

F.W.I.W. I've seen Subarus climb steep slippery snow/ice covered roads where even old jeeps with Quadratrack (which locks all 4 wheels together in rotation) couldn't, with comparable tires.

I also had a 72 Dodge Coronet Wagon with posi and studded snows that wouldn't get stuck ANYWHERE in the winter. (with no added weight in the rear)
I honestly think it has more to do with the driver than the vehicle.

Sorry O.P.! Back to your topic.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
problem with 4wd sedans is that they do not have the ground clearance of a SUV, traction does no good if yer hung up on the belly

deep snow is about the only time a SUV can go somewhere I can't with my V-Strom,
99 SV650
82 XV920R