Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #106
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebble35 View Post
My 2007 Adventure is up to 37,000 miles now - just trying to decide whether to get another 990 later this year to carry me well into the future before it disappears from the range.................
Same boat here, just change the miles figure by kilometers.
Early this year I was about to sell my 07, take the hit $$$ and get a 2012 990R but...what if the 1090R is the bike we are waiting for?

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #107
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
I just hope that the increase to 1200 ccs or thereabouts to compete with the R12GS and other big dirt cruiser bikes means that they will bring out a 800-ish bike for those of us who want something in between the 690 the current 950/990.... That's be sweet!
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #108
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Well, Ducati for one. The biggest complaint owners and prospective owners had was short (and expensive) valve maintenance intervals. Ducati basically doubled it over the past 3-4 years. And basic reliability was another hot point with prospective owners; and Ducati has made great progress over the years wrt basic reliability.

Somehow a lot of KTM owners think that pita maintenance and some shoddy design issues are badges of honor. They're not- they're a sign that the manufacturer either can't (financial reasons) or won't (not a high enough priority) fix the issues, and push the problems off on the owners. Right now I guess enough people think it's worth it, but everyone knows how quickly things can go from all right to "uh oh". KTM was on the ropes not too long ago and it wouldn't take much to put them back on them.
I wouldn't entirely agree with that. They doubled the maintenance interval of the LC4 with the introduction of the DLC lining of the cylinder and the accumulation of enough maintenance history. They got rid of the 1000km service on the LC8, and the clutch cylinder has been redesigned. The water pump issue is huge, but was addressed when the designed the RC8 (don't know if the issue is now history with the new engine); it is sadly an issue that only a major redesign will address.

What continually impresses me, is that although lots of people, myself included farkle up the Advs, it is not necessary to do so. Look up a guy named Joe Pitchler. He rode around South America and across Russia and back (he's from Austria). Changes to his 990R: 1.85/2.5 wheels, big gas tanks, Touratech seat and handlebar guards, skidplate from a company whose name I can't recall right now. The bike can't be that unreliable or fragile.

I agree entirely with the comment about letting your guard down. Consumers can be very fickle. I you don't give us what we want, we'll find someone who will. On the other hand, the fact that KTM came out with the 990SMT and a new Duke with a seat you can sit on, shows me they are learning.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #109
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
The water pump issue is huge, but was addressed when the designed the RC8 (don't know if the issue is now history with the new engine); it is sadly an issue that only a major redesign will address..
Correct me if I'm wrong but they have tried to solve the water pump issue at least three times. Fist different seals, then the shaft and now 09 -> impeller, cover and shaft again? Design still ain't as good as in RC8 but at least they tried.

Oil change takes time okay. Valve check takes also time but it's time consuming on every bike except on the ones with valve covers sticking out of the fairing. Things could be worse though. 4 cylinder engine, 20 mm of clearance between valve cover and frame, every freaking electric wire in the way when checking valve clearance and fairing is attached with 100 screws witch are designed to withstand opening maybe once or twice.

Reliable source said new RC8 engined Adventure will be introduced in EICMA 2012. I'm a afraid it will be too street orientated.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #110
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Somehow a lot of KTM owners think that pita maintenance and some shoddy design issues are badges of honor. They're not- they're a sign that the manufacturer either can't (financial reasons) or won't (not a high enough priority) fix the issues
That is your opinion, and not a fact.
This is the way I see it: KTM once had to make a choice. 'Are we going to design for easy maintenance and low operating cost, or do we design for optimal riding pleasure and deliver a very fun bike that works extremely well where others start seeing their limitations?'. They chose the latter. After all it is 'KTM Sport Motorcycles'.

The separate fuel tanks are an expensive choice, but they keep fuel low and close to the CoG. The dry-sump system allows a lower mounting location of the engine, and thus improved CoG. And it allows oil to reach the engine when it is on it's side.
Battery location: unconventional but easily accessible and helps to lower the CoG once again. It does increase front end weight, but for a bike that is not ridden though deep sand or mud this is not much of a disadvantage.
The air filtration system: a work of art. Huge air cleaner surface area and the airflow direction helps to prevent clogging. This gives the filter element an exceptional long useful life.
The LC8 powerplant: a beauty. Responsive, powerful, compact, light and reliable.

The problem with engineering is that it is all about balances and tradeoffs. Gain something here, lose something there. I love the balances and tradeoffs KTM chose when they designed the 950.

Hard maintenance? Yes, a lot must be removed to access basic things, but once there everything is easily accessible without the need for 'Asian girl'-sized fingers.

Shoddy design issues? There are a few (waterpump...), but not more than on other bikes, and they don't fix it for years either. Nothing special there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
for those of us who want something in between the 690 the current 950/990.... That's be sweet!
Oooh, yeah!
A small capacity high MPG fuel injected Vtwin in an LC4Adv-like chassis with LC4Adv-like weight is still my dream bike.
They could make it a parts bin bike. Two Freeride 350 topends, LC8 transmission, modified 690 chassis, new engine cases, new fairing.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #111
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
Oooh, yeah!
A small capacity high MPG fuel injected Vtwin in an LC4Adv-like chassis with LC4Adv-like weight is still my dream bike.
They could make it a parts bin bike. Two Freeride 350 topends, LC8 transmission, modified 690 chassis, new engine cases, new fairing.
I would love to see a modern 750 V Twin, light bike with 7 gallons of fuel, long suspension, ABS that can be very easily turned off for dirt use, adjustable and easily removable windscreen, get around 50 MPG, fuel injected, not have such a short wheel base so that it would fit a variely of different sized riders and it would make it a good mile muncher for eating up highway miles.........just dreaming. Hello, KTM are you listening ! ! !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #112
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I would love to see .....

.........just dreaming. Hello, KTM are you listening ! ! !
Or, better yet,,,,just do what Porsche does with the 911.

Make little things better regularly,
even completely redesign it once every decade....
but DO NOT CHANGE this awesome basic formula
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #113
SnakeBreak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
light bike with 7 gallons of fuel,
7 X 6 = 42 lbs of gas. I guess you could Buell it and put it in the frame, otherwise that is a lot of top heavy light bike.
SnakeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #114
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by 种. View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but they have tried to solve the water pump issue at least three times. Fist different seals, then the shaft and now 09 -> impeller, cover and shaft again? Design still ain't as good as in RC8 but at least they tried.

Oil change takes time okay. Valve check takes also time but it's time consuming on every bike except on the ones with valve covers sticking out of the fairing. Things could be worse though. 4 cylinder engine, 20 mm of clearance between valve cover and frame, every freaking electric wire in the way when checking valve clearance and fairing is attached with 100 screws witch are designed to withstand opening maybe once or twice.

Reliable source said new RC8 engined Adventure will be introduced in EICMA 2012. I'm a afraid it will be too street orientated.

Like I wrote in an earlier post, I'm OK with KTM making a more street oriented 1190 based Adventure as long as they don't completely forget their clientele that wants to get their bikes dirty: so long as they offer something along the lines of the 990R Adv, they can build croozers for all I care. Whatever it takes to stay solvent and building these amazing do-everything machines.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #115
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Same boat here, just change the miles figure by kilometers.
Early this year I was about to sell my 07, take the hit $$$ and get a 2012 990R but...what if the 1090R is the bike we are waiting for?
True, but sometimes it is better to go with what you know and what is tried and tested (and what you can get all the extra accessories for.....)

I have to say I simply do not know what to do......................

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #116
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Hey Guys,
Anyone read the article in the August Motorcyclist magazine about the 2012 and 2013 Adventures ? It has some seemingly factual information with a photo we've all seen.
What do Ya'll think ?
Killer Whale KTM
Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #117
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,900
Quote:
I would love to see a modern 750 V Twin, light bike with 7 gallons of fuel, long suspension, ABS that can be very easily turned off for dirt use, adjustable and easily removable windscreen, get around 50 MPG, fuel injected, not have such a short wheel base so that it would fit a variely of different sized riders and it would make it a good mile muncher for eating up highway miles.........just dreaming. Hello, KTM are you listening ! ! !
You and me both only maybe an 800 like the others........

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #118
Kelvininin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
If you're waiting for the KTM truck to pull up outside your Starbucks and start soliciting opinions your probably going to have a wicked buzz

I'd like to know who's opinion Victory consulted on this, maybe they need to stop visiting the blind home but I bet it has an easy oil change.

Don't knock it before you try it... If you think the vision is ugly, ride one... They are the best handling most comfortable luxury touring bike on the road, and yes... Oil changes are a breeze, in fact that'a about the only real routine maintenance the thing needs. I use my KTM to commute on and weekend worrier rides. The Vision is used for everything else.

Kelvininin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #119
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM View Post
Hey Guys,
Anyone read the article in the August Motorcyclist magazine about the 2012 and 2013 Adventures ? It has some seemingly factual information with a photo we've all seen.
What do Ya'll think ?
Killer Whale KTM
Care to summarize the article?
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #120
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBreak View Post
7 X 6 = 42 lbs of gas. I guess you could Buell it and put it in the frame, otherwise that is a lot of top heavy light bike.
Have you seen a KTM ? ? ? It's a neat concept, they run the fuel tanks down the side so the fuel not all on top of the bike and it gives it a lower CG. If you could get the 750cc Adventure bike down into the low 400lb mark, then who the hell would care about 42lbs of fuel, I wouldn't ! ! !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote