ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #106
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,326
LC, great pics thanks for taking the time to go and take them, looks like you fryed. Was Billy buried in a cemetery?

Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #107
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
No, not a cemetery but an OVEN.

I'll never go back to Texas , without an air conditioning unit strapped to my Jesses. yeaks...how do those people take it?

No it was a cemetery with 4 or 5 other people buried in the block walled cemetery. Have a feeling that most did not want to be buried with such a shady character. Probably could not find anyone brave enough to dig the grave in that heat.

BtKid is a local hero. The BtKid museum in Fort Sumner was old and rundown but some most impressive artifacts.

BTW, part of Billy's resume was stealing cattle from Chisholm's ranch. Of course it was not that way in the John Wayne movies.

Texas, how do those people live?

[QUOTE=Sod Buster;19006915]LC, great pics thanks for taking the time to go and take them, looks like you fryed. Was Billy buried in a cemetery?

LewisNClark screwed with this post 07-17-2012 at 02:06 PM
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #108
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post

They come up to Colorado and fill the state parks with their RV's all summer. Not that I blame them.

Books

For those of you who want to learn more about Billy the Kid, here is a alphabetical list of books I recommend and are a part of my personal library (I placed an asterisk* next to those that are a must read):

Lieutenant Colonel N.A.M. Dudley Court of Inquiry By Robert M. Barron (this book is self-published, if you're interested contact Donna Tatting)

Robert M. Barron was my father and Donna Tatting is my sister.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #109
MsSuzieQ
Adventure sister

Oddometer: 78
Texas in the Summer

[QUOTE=LewisNClark;19007207]I'll never go back to Texas , without an air conditioning unit strapped to my Jesses. yeaks...how do those people take it?

No it was a cemetery with 4 or 5 other people buried in the block walled cemetery. Have a feeling that most did want to be buried with such a shady character. Probably could not find anyone brave enough to dig the grave.

BtKid is a local hero. The BtKid museum in Fort Sumner was old and rundown but some most impressive artifacts.

BTW, part of Billy's resume was stealing cattle from Chisholm's ranch. Of course it was not that way in the John Wayne movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
LC, great pics thanks for taking the time to go and take them, looks like you fryed. Was Billy buried in a cemetery?
http://www.veskimo.com

The best thing, short of AC on the bike...

2000 V-Star 650 (Sold 5/30/12)
1999 Road King (hated it, gave to the boyfriend)
2006 Road Star Silverado (yeah, that's more like it)
MsSuzieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #110
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
This memorial to miners killed in a cave-in is in the hills above the Valley View Hot Springs near Villa Grove, CO.

I find it especially moving because it appears to have been erected by co-workers of the lost men and has been treated respectfully for over a hundred years. My crappy old laptop screen isn't clear enough to make out the words. Perhaps someone would list them.
Bob... Very special. Never knew about this. It reminds of the Hastings Mine Disaster (121 men lost) I came upon while exploring approaches to Cordova Pass from the east....

Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #111
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Pissed Good advice...Thanks.

Ms SuzieQ:

Next time I know to leave my Coleman stove at home. I could just cook my eggs on the top of my bald head.

Texas does have some amazing cattle ranches....but I'll save those for winter riding.

http://www.veskimo.com

The best thing, short of AC on the bike... [/QUOTE]

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 02:07 PM
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #112
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Old 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #113
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634

Any idea where Dick Broadwell is buried?
Old 06-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #114
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Dick Broadwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post

Any idea where Dick Broadwell is buried?

Dick Broadwell's family came for the body, he is buried just west of Wichita in Hutchinson Kansas..

Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #115
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
Dick Broadwell's family came for the body, he is buried just west of Wichita in Hutchinson Kansas..

Thank you. Somehow I knew that you would know.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #116
Sod Buster
prairie rider

If you look through the then and now photo thread I posted some of my Dalton stuff along with the story.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #117
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

The decision at Three Forks

Lewis and Clark reached the mouth of the Missouri River in July of 1805. Not knowing this was the mouth of the Missouri they were faced with the merging of three river. If the Missouri reached the Pacific Ocean (the Northwest Passage) it "had" to be one of these 3 rivers. Seeing the tall mountains in the distance L and C both had concluded that there was probably not going to be a NW Passage.

They simply wanted to travel as far as possible via water (with 4 to 5 thousand pounds of cargo). They had to make a guess as to which river was the Missouri River, that was headed west. Clark stood on the below rock looking west and simply guessed which of the three rivers went west.

The rock ledge on the right of pic is where Clark stood: You can see the marker at the top of the ledge in the distance.

You can walk to the "Clark Overlook" and see exactly what Clark saw:

Three rivers all flowing in different directions:

Clark choose the correct river traveling the furthest to the west.

They finally ran out of navigable water near today's Dillon, Montana. And up Lemhi Pass on foot and horseback they find the literal end of the Missouri River about 4 miles up Lemhi Pass Road the mighty Missouri is a tiny stream. (The mouth of the Missouri River).

LewisNClark screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 04:26 PM
Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #118
Sod Buster
prairie rider

LC, I love to stand in places like the ridge you showed ,where clark stood deciding on which route to take. Thanks for posting your Lewis and Clark explorations! Great posts everyone!

A little more Dalton stuff. The Daltons had a sister who lived in Coffeyville and had lived there them selves for a time, they were in disguise when they rode into town but they were still recognized. They also had a sister that lived just southeast of Meade Kansas in far south west Kansas and is known as the Dalton Hideout, this home has a tunnel runing from the house to the barn. My great grand father homesteaded a few miles from this farm, my grandpa used to play in the old tunnel, but this was twenty years after Grat and Bob Dalton were killed, the sister was also gone by the time my grandpa grew up in the area. The old Dalton place just east of Meade Ks was a museum for years, I'm not sure if it's still open or not it does still show up on most Kansas maps.

Emmitt Dalton, after being released from prison.

Emmett's pistol belt, showing bullet strike, he was shot up pretty bad.

First national Bank safe, the First National burned, the Condon Bank is still standing.

First National's bullet riddled front doors. If you are ever in the south east part of Kansas stop at Coffeyville and go through the Dalton museum, well worth your time.

Bob Daltons saddle.

Bob Daltons property carried the day of the robbery.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #119
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Sob Buster

You strike me as a guy borne in the wrong century. I'd bet you had rather be mounted on a horse, carrying a six-shooter, headed across a prairie.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #120
sfarson OP
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
LC... Great stuff on the three rivers. I remember reading about the challenge of the choice. Trying to recall, didn't they divide here and either Lewis or Clark went north following one of the rivers to confirm it wasn't the right one?

Great image of the Missouri where one can jump across it. Is possible to do the same in Colorado, jumping across the Rio Grande, Arkansas, Colorado, and the North/South Plattes where they are a mere three feet across.