Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #13276
nickl
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Hmmm...my wifey is about 40lbs more.

And I would at least like to be able to pack for an overnighter, change of clothes, etc.

I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't be trying to go for the super tenere.

I just got back from a 10 day 2800 mile trip with my wife on our XC. We rode from Seattle to LA, down Hwy 101 and Hwy 1, and came back up Hwy 395. With us, our riding gear, and the rest of our stuff, we were just below the XC's loaded weight limit of 492lbs. The bike handled great! Always had enough power, handled great in all the twisty corners on Hwy 1, and maintained cruising speeds of 75mph (speed limits were between 55-65) just fine coming back up on Hwy 395. And I got killer gas mileage the whole way. The XC is a great 2 up bike in my opinion. If I'm not mistaken, the Super Tenere has a loaded weight limit of 461lbs, so you can actually carry more on the XC.
nickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #13277
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Here's what my buddies are saying on the 19 vs 21 front wheel:

Unless you're planning on plowing through sand all day long or otherwise doing a whole bunch of gnarly offroad riding with the big bike it's a none-issue.

21" wheels are for dirt bikes
putting one on a pig street bike will not make it a better bike in the dirt
go with a 19"

The XC obviously has plusher suspension. But the trade off is lazier cornering, wallowing on road, and tires with tubes.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #13278
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 763
Quote:

Unless you're planning on plowing through sand all day long or otherwise doing a whole bunch of gnarly offroad riding with the big bike it's a none-issue.

go with a 19"

The XC obviously has plusher suspension. But the trade off is lazier cornering, wallowing on road, and tires with tubes.

Am I missing something?
Don't know if you are missing something but I rode one today (the owner of the dealership's personal ride BTW). Your buddies are missing something though: seat time on a 800XC if they think that "lazier cornering, wallowing on road" apply to this motorcycle. I rode both and the XC leans way further over than the roady. I was impressed to the point that I'll be picking my 2012 800 XC up tomorrow...
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #13279
81husky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
[QUOTE=browneye;19015213]

go with a 19"

[QUOTE]

I'm a better dirt rider than a road rider, and I really like the 21" front tire. More forgiving in ruts and rolling over things. I chased some sport bikes up a mountain pass the other day and didn't have any trouble keeping up. Is the 19 better on the road? Probably, but in my case its a none issue cause I'm not that great of a street rider. For the amount of dirt I ride, I'll take the 21 any day. Tube tires are a pain though.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #13280
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:

go with a 19"

Am I missing something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post
Don't know if you are missing something but I rode one today (the owner of the dealership's personal ride BTW). Your buddies are missing something though: seat time on a 800XC if they think that "lazier cornering, wallowing on road" apply to this motorcycle. I rode both and the XC leans way further over than the roady. I was impressed to the point that I'll be picking my 2012 800 XC up tomorrow...
And one thing I kept reading in reviews was despite the 21" front wheel the XC was rated the better "road" bike. Most reviewers were surprised and figured Triumph just did a good job with the geometry of the bike. Sorry, I can't give an opinion of Roadie vs XC as I never rode the Roadie, didn't even ride the XC, just bought it and have been enjoying it ever since. I have sure never experienced any negatives when riding on road with the XC, it just goes where I point it, to the point of dragging my boots and I'm still getting acquainted.
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #13281
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
The look of the front tire profiles on 21s really scare me for street twisties. The tread doesn't look like it wraps very far up toward the sidewalls. I was very unhappy with an Anakee2 in 100/90-19 (bias ply), but extremely happy with the same in 110/80-19 (radial). Both stuck well, but the 100/90 immediately scrubbed to the very edge and lasted about 30-40% as long.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #13282
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post
While the XC is taller and therefore could theoretically lean farther, you'd have to prove it to me. It's got less contact patch up front, which matters a lot more than the difference in height. I've been over on both sides of my roadie until parts were dragging and it's a pretty substantial amount of lean. Not quite the 50 + degrees of the bikes I used to track, but not too far off. Additionally, you can put MUCH better street rubber on the 19 than you can on the 21. Take a look at Michelin's new PRT's.

Triumph designed and marketed the bikes correctly. The Roadie is a better performing road bike. The XC is a better performing off pavement bike. I'm in the camp that believes although Triumph designed each of these variants to handle a very wide variety of conditions and do it well, they released two versions so the buyer could choose the best one for the conditions in which they would use the bike the most. One has a pavement focus but performs decently off pavement, the other has more off pavement focus but still performs well on pavement.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #13283
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Would be interesting to see lap times on each tiger with the same rider onboard. I reckon the stickier tire choices should put the roadie in the lead, but I doubt by that much, and I wonder if the lean angle would be limited? I hear road riders tell me they are dragging bits on thier roadies, so on track with a decent rider on sticky rubber its bound to be a limiting factor. The taller XC wont have the clearence issues, but that 21" front is going to limit play a bit.

I have been very pleasently surprised how well the 21" wheel and BW tire holds up and delivers feedback in the twisties. Not ridden the roadie so can't compare.
motomuppet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #13284
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
The look of the front tire profiles on 21s really scare me for street twisties.
I was easily scraping hard parts with an Anakee II on my F800GS in 90/90 - 21". I don't think there is ANY problem with the tires.

I personally just didn't like tubed tires. I prefer to be able to plug the tires quickly with a plug instead of taking the wheel off, breaking the bead on the tire (especially rear), spooning off one wall, getting the tube out enough to patch it (or replace it), getting the damn tire back on the rim (of course it's the rear, it's always the rear ... at least for me), getting the wheel installed again, setting the chain properly (of course, it's the rear) ... and all that in freezing rain in the middle off bumf******* nowhere ...

On a nice day in warm sunlight to warm up and soften the tire - I might just do it. In pouring rain, just above freezing - no freaking way. It's just something I can live without, especially as my offroad riding with this bike will be some rare unpaved road and the ride to the camp site. I rather take something lighter on tougher terrain.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #13285
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
High fender on the Tiger.

Did you ever wonder what a Suzuki DRZ front fender would look on a Tiger?

Well wonder no more. I just happen to have a fender in the garage. I just wrapped a bungee around the forks and stuck it up there. It is an interesting look.... You would have to do something about the roadies proboscis for the fender to fit up in there tighter. I think the fender blocking the air to the radiator may be a problem.

I had taken the stock fender off to do some cosmetic work. My Fender Extender had only been on the bike for a few months when I rode through some tar and it was flung up onto the outside of the extender. I have been using this stuff called "Tarminator" (by Stoners) for years on painted surfaces and never had any problems with it. So that's what I grabbed to clean off the tar. Well the extender plastic did not like it at all. It turned the plastic an ash white and raised up the plastic where the tar used to be. It was a mess. So I removed it, wet sanded it smooth with some 400 grit, and painted it. Probably should have used some WD40 for the tar removal.

What's the bike look like without a fender? Well wonder no more. Sorry I was on a roll.

Vzuke screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 08:30 PM Reason: picture mod
Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #13286
cug

Doesn't look bad at all. But the air flow might really be a problem if it's hot.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #13287
cug

Here's what I did today:

Installed a new RAM mount as I couldn't use the mount on the left side of the handle bars anymore due to interference with either windshield or tankbag. Not a problem, $9.95 later, this is how it looks now:

And these are the positions I tried, I kind of like the all for different reasons, it will depend on which GPS (GPSMap 60CSx or Zumo) I use in which position I put it:

Slightly left:

More left:

Middle:

Just the cradle:

I really like it there much more than on the left side. It's mounted with a RAM ball that is bolted to the handlebar clamp, replacing one of the 8mm bolts there. Works perfectly well and I'm asking myself why I didn't do that earlier.

Btw: in the photos it looks like I wouldn't be able to see the speed - but that's actually not a problem. It's just the camera was at a slightly different angle.

Here's the other thing I did:

That's a Kriega tool roll filled with most of the tools I might need when on the road. It's not fully optimized yet, but fairly close. I like it under the seat much more than in the topcase as it is 2kg of heavy crap bouncing around in the otherwise empty case. It fits perfectly under the seat after I cut out the stupid u-lock holders and took off the middle rubber from the passenger seat (that presses down the u-lock if there is one).

Here's a bad photo of the contents of the tool roll:

Old 06-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #13288
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
While the XC is taller and therefore could theoretically lean farther, you'd have to prove it to me. It's got less contact patch up front, which matters a lot more than the difference in height. I've been over on both sides of my roadie until parts were dragging and it's a pretty substantial amount of lean. Not quite the 50 + degrees of the bikes I used to track, but not too far off. Additionally, you can put MUCH better street rubber on the 19 than you can on the 21. Take a look at Michelin's new PRT's.

Triumph designed and marketed the bikes correctly. The Roadie is a better performing road bike. The XC is a better performing off pavement bike. I'm in the camp that believes although Triumph designed each of these variants to handle a very wide variety of conditions and do it well, they released two versions so the buyer could choose the best one for the conditions in which they would use the bike the most. One has a pavement focus but performs decently off pavement, the other has more off pavement focus but still performs well on pavement.

When you hear your pegs screaming at you because they are dragging they're telling you that any more lean-angle and next you'll be testing the abrasion resistance of your riding gear. When the pegs scrape, its the contact patch of the rear tire that I'm worried about. While the contact patch on a 19" may be minimally larger, less lean angle on the roady didn't allow me to take advantage of what may be a few more mm of surface area. For me, the XC just felt better in the corner because I wasn't thinking about when was the peg going to touch down.

dirtconnector screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 06:21 AM
dirtconnector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #13289
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Yea if your hitting pegs on the xc it's at it's tires limit and just a sneeze away from a bad situation.
Having done a track day or two and raced MX for too long the my op on the 21" front is that it is nothing short of uninspiring and wants to run wide searching for the side of the road. It pushes and squirms when put to task big time.
Great off road love it ! On road, I would never push it to the point of scraping pegs, just asking for a bad ending.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #13290
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,982
Not true. There is no direct connection between a footpeg and a tire. A scraping peg is not an indication that you are going beyond the contact patch. It is only an indication that you are scraping a peg. For example, with 400 pounds on the bike the suspension will be so compressed that the peg will drag relatively early in terms of lean angle. A 120 pound rider would have a lot more available lean angle before the pegs touched, and would be significantly closer to the edge of the tire.

The footpegs on the tiger are hinged. When they touch they pivot upward. At 185 pounds in riding gear, I am able to continue my lean and can feel them lift with no ill consequences. I've spent enough years at the track and have been on my ass enough times that I have a generally good assessment of limits, when they are being exceeded, and what the consequences are. I'll take a scraping footpeg any day over less contact patch and inferior street rubber (comparatively)

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote