Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #1246
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
So, who's gonna be first with strapping a Nexus 7 with DSM on it on their ride?
Is that gonna be rugged enough for Dual-Sport/Adv use?

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #1247
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
Is that gonna be rugged enough for Dual-Sport/Adv use?
I doubt it. Has that ever stopped anyone though? ;)

The form factor looks nice, specs are good and the price is right. If I didn't already have a tablet that serves my purposes I would definitely be looking at picking one up though!

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #1248
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
I doubt it. Has that ever stopped anyone though? ;)
Panasonic Tough Pad B1 (On Right)

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #1249
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,245
App update released 0.2.19

App update released. Two changes.
  1. From the menu of the Search screen you can download all your DSM maps at once.
  2. You should find that the Vector Maps downloads no long contain duplicate (and half incompatible) downloads any longer.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #1250
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
ceafty...i owe you.......

A drink....a hooker, or a goat....your choice.
I was screwed with those bad vector downloads.....all good now.
So far I've gone 1k miles with your app.....300 or so of it the tet-s....it rocks.....better than any gps I've owned.
I do still have the problem where it reverts to the home screen....I think its a rendering or gps thing...its fine for hours then starts doing it.
No rhyme or reason
Thanks again...
The hooker is actually also a goat

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #1251
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

That is great to hear, really!
I like it too. Tell your friends. I could use the those bucks coming to fund my next moto tool. It's a computerized power supply for your moto. Like so computerized, it will blow you...r mind!

This is real. As real as the remote control for the app anyway. In that I have one (or several) and y'all don't. I am working on it with all the effort I can muster (in competition with wife, kid, job, summer heat, finances etc). The remote is still waiting on an enclosure that I cannot build... I sure wish I was a good machinist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
A drink....a hooker, or a goat....your choice.
I was screwed with those bad vector downloads.....all good now.
So far I've gone 1k miles with your app.....300 or so of it the tet-s....it rocks.....better than any gps I've owned.
I do still have the problem where it reverts to the home screen....I think its a rendering or gps thing...its fine for hours then starts doing it.
No rhyme or reason
Thanks again...
The hooker is actually also a goat
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #1252
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,964
What's your bottleneck on the enclosures?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #1253
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
What's your bottleneck on the enclosures?
Finding someone to make them who is also willing to communicate with me how I can design them so they are more affordable. I can have them machined for $1000 a box obviously, anyone would do that. An ADVer has made me a few and told me they were difficult to do but didn't give me much guidance on how I could design them "cheaper". He also says he is going to make them but has not com through yet. I've talked to MANY machine shops who by and large lose my phone number. I've spoke to casting shops as well, they want nothing to do with me. This is all VERY frustrating. I'm about to give up on aluminum and return to plastic. At least that I can "add to cart".
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #1254
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
...guidance on how I could design them "cheaper"....
From what I remember of the box design pics you posted, Three things struck me right off the bat. (I'm a mechanical Engineer)

First, there were sharp inside corners on the inside of the box so the square corners of the PC board could fit way into the corners. This is bad. This makes it damned near impossible to machine with standard machining techniques. Throw some .125" fillets on the corners so they can mill it out with a standard 1/4" diameter end mill.

Second, I think there were Male threads extruding from the face of the face of the part to hold the joystick boot. This is also damned near impossible to machine. External threads are easy when they're on a shaft cuz you can spin them on with a lathe. INTERNAL threads are easy since you can put them in with a tap. My suggestion for this would be to have a really small flange made of sheet metal to clamp the boot to the face of the box, attach it with two or three itty bitty screws.

Third, there were external features to accept the bolts securing the rear cover-- The walls of the enclosure were a bit thicker at the rear. This now means the part can't be done in one operation. Ideally, The machine shop would take a off-the-shelf standard sized extrusion of aluminum, cut it to length, clamp it in the vice of a CNC mill, and everything would be able to be machined from one side, Possible with switching the tools a couple times (from end mills to drill bits to taps...) Having everything done from one side will minimize cost.

I've got solidworks, I'll PM you my email addy if you want to do some collaborative designing.

Btw, I can see your Cad Drafting skills are growing really well!
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #1255
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Those sharp inside corners are gone (only there because I was thinking in plastic at first) and there are tools for CNCs that cut male threads. I appreciate that the design requires the part to be attacked from at least two sides but with the male threads that is a requirement anyway so cutting down some mass is a free operation anyway.

What I really need is the person who is going to build these boxes to have this conversation with me. They know what they can and cannot do cheap/fast and what extrusions may make this easier etc. Ultimately, I think this is destined to end as a plastic box. This is rather disappointing to me but I already considered buying a CNC to do this myself and before I could do that I needed to rebuild my garage and the costs spiraled out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
From what I remember of the box design pics you posted, Three things struck me right off the bat. (I'm a mechanical Engineer)

First, there were sharp inside corners on the inside of the box so the square corners of the PC board could fit way into the corners. This is bad. This makes it damned near impossible to machine with standard machining techniques. Throw some .125" fillets on the corners so they can mill it out with a standard 1/4" diameter end mill.

Second, I think there were Male threads extruding from the face of the face of the part to hold the joystick boot. This is also damned near impossible to machine. External threads are easy when they're on a shaft cuz you can spin them on with a lathe. INTERNAL threads are easy since you can put them in with a tap. My suggestion for this would be to have a really small flange made of sheet metal to clamp the boot to the face of the box, attach it with two or three itty bitty screws.

Third, there were external features to accept the bolts securing the rear cover-- The walls of the enclosure were a bit thicker at the rear. This now means the part can't be done in one operation. Ideally, The machine shop would take a off-the-shelf standard sized extrusion of aluminum, cut it to length, clamp it in the vice of a CNC mill, and everything would be able to be machined from one side, Possible with switching the tools a couple times (from end mills to drill bits to taps...) Having everything done from one side will minimize cost.

I've got solidworks, I'll PM you my email addy if you want to do some collaborative designing.

Btw, I can see your Cad Drafting skills are growing really well!
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #1256
jigmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
i'm also 20 years in the automotive quality and engineering fields. i haven't looked at your design, but judging from the advice given, i'd have to agree the main reason you are not having luck with machine shops would be:

1) volume. you'll have to find someone more willing to help out, than to make much money on it.

2) external thread posts. as a quality manager, i would never allow those when another more robust option is available (there always is)

3) sounds like it should be a plastic part. the size, application, and environmental exposures all seem to scream plastic to me. talk to a plastic injection molding person. put some up front money into a small mold that gets all you need with all through holes and all your critical surfaces molded in.

just my 2 cents. hope it works for you.
jigmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #1257
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The threads are required to make the joystick waterproof. I've got no other ideas for that unless I dump the joystick and go with 4 tactile buttons instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigmoore View Post
i'm also 20 years in the automotive quality and engineering fields. i haven't looked at your design, but judging from the advice given, i'd have to agree the main reason you are not having luck with machine shops would be:

1) volume. you'll have to find someone more willing to help out, than to make much money on it.

2) external thread posts. as a quality manager, i would never allow those when another more robust option is available (there always is)

3) sounds like it should be a plastic part. the size, application, and environmental exposures all seem to scream plastic to me. talk to a plastic injection molding person. put some up front money into a small mold that gets all you need with all through holes and all your critical surfaces molded in.

just my 2 cents. hope it works for you.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #1258
jigmoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
through holes with counterbores for o-rings? blind holes from other side for bolts? pinch clamping from sides? interference clamping with other plates? just trapped into assembly?

i know i haven't seen the design, but you are right that someone who will be involved needs to look at it with fresh eyes and you'll be surprised the creative solutions that are right there in front of you.
jigmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #1259
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

You may be right. I've scoured the globe for a threaded bushing of the correct size... That was the obvious solution. No dice. Perhaps I could have them made, but none of these tangible things are in my wheelhouse and so I end up paying 10 times the price because I don't know what to ask for or whom to ask. It's all rather annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigmoore View Post
through holes with counterbores for o-rings? blind holes from other side for bolts? pinch clamping from sides? interference clamping with other plates? just trapped into assembly?

i know i haven't seen the design, but you are right that someone who will be involved needs to look at it with fresh eyes and you'll be surprised the creative solutions that are right there in front of you.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #1260
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,592
Something like this-

hex of boot retained by heads of screws, all machined from the rear.

Personally, I'd stick to aluminum rather than plastic. If ya pay for a plastic mold($$$$$), you're stuck with it--If you want to make the part an 1/8 wider, Too bad.

Of course, with aluminum you've also got to make it possible for the radio waves to get out. Maybe just the rear cover can be machined plastic?
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote