User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
kawzak OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ural drive shaft U-joint -to grease

I have gone over everything on my new Patrol. The drive shaft u-joint grease zerk just don't have enough clearance to get a grease gun fitting on.I even machined the barrell/end of my grease gun fitting smaller dia. still no-go. Suggestions? or just take the drive shaft loose from rear hub. Not a big deal-just curious what others do.I even tried an old slender slide pump type gun for lubing milling machines. Angle is just too tight.
kawzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
bmccurdy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey Kawzak, have you tried a grease gun needle? You can pick one up at most automotive stores. They are designed for extra hard to reach tight spots and come in a variety of lengths, work very well.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
bmccurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Hey kawzac,

You should really consider joining Soviet Steeds, every question you have asked has been covered extensively there in multiple threads, and several dealers also participate, and will help with questions.There is a whole section dedicated to service, maintenance and repairs.

Also there are obviously many more Ural enthusiasts there, perhaps some local to you who would be happy to help you.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
kawzak OP
Adventurer

I have a needle with a zerk on it. I need to get the regular fitting end on the zerk so I can pump lots into this u-joint. The other (2) took alot before it slightly oozed out around the seals.I dont think I can get enough in there with a needle.Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
I use a needle to get the grease deep up into the splines but I use Autotec #57216, it looks more like a ball point pen's refill.

I had to bend the last 3/8" to angle it inside the joint but it works great. I also use a small one hand grease gun.

SS has all the info to get you working.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
kb5zcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
You need this. The one four from the left is the correct tip.
$24 at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...kit-95904.html
kb5zcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
kawzak OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. I will join the other fourm you spoke of. I have seen it. many times my computer rejects hooking up to it???. Also thanks for the Harbor freight grease /coupler assortment info. it looks like that is just what I need.Thanks KB5VCR .
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawzak View Post
I have a needle with a zerk on it. I need to get the regular fitting end on the zerk so I can pump lots into this u-joint. The other (2) took alot before it slightly oozed out around the seals.I dont think I can get enough in there with a needle.Thanks for the suggestion though.
I have been using a needle tip for mine and it works just fine.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
kawzak OP
Adventurer

When I was talking about the needle-the one I have is a large sringe needle with a zerk fitting on it to stick in ball joint cups on cars. The needle you guys are talking about are bigger it sounds like-just hold against the zerk. thanks for the suggestions.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #10
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
When I was talking about the needle-the one I have is a large sringe needle with a zerk fitting on it to stick in ball joint cups on cars. The needle you guys are talking about are bigger it sounds like-just hold against the zerk. thanks for the suggestions.
Yes. It is just a thin tube with a needle tip that you just push it into the Zerk fitting. Any good auto parts store will have them.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
''Thin Tube'' that is what I have & it's strong enough to push against. Thanks Railbender
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,038
The early BMW's had a flat zerk fitting, no ball for the grease gun to clamp onto, just the spring loaded check ball in the middle that you pushed the needle tip into. Over the years I've used that needle for lots of tasks, greasing CV joint, etc.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
I have gone over everything on my new Patrol. The drive shaft u-joint grease zerk just don't have enough clearance to get a grease gun fitting on.I even machined the barrell/end of my grease gun fitting smaller dia. still no-go. Suggestions? or just take the drive shaft loose from rear hub. Not a big deal-just curious what others do.I even tried an old slender slide pump type gun for lubing milling machines. Angle is just too tight.
Harbor Freight Had a hand mini grease gun (3 ounce cartridge of grease) that fits my 2011 GearUp zerks very nicely. So snug a connection I've had to use a flat blade screw driver to help pop it off.
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,268
I had the same question! Thanks for all the info. Had not checked SS yet where I do spend some time o. "Googling" the question brought me here. Nice. Have little grease gun, needles and all...
Stay well.
Ara and Spirit

BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,775
you need to change out the regular ball zerk fitting for a flush needle style zerk fitting.

bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote