Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #6856
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
I'm on Annual leave during the 24 this year, so I'm in for both days.

Gotta get up Sunday to see Kipo finish.
Got a funny feeling that might be when Sunday starts!!

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #6857
Stuwey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Sounds great. My family used to run Cotton Control, but it'd be 10 years since i've been.

See if i can get organised and make my way out this year!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #6858
KIZ
Marty

Oddometer: 430
Ocr

Is there a rider or group rideing up to the Cape for the OCR early Aug through the centre ( Isa,or Barcalidine, Normanton maybe ) who wouldnt mind another rider to join them. I am taking the DR650.Hopeing to depart Adelaide 2 Aug.Marty.
KIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #6859
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
APC Rally

I'm interested in the APC concept, and want to ride it one day. Has anyone here SA done it and can give me some idea of what I will need to have in regards to setup and prep etc.
I'll probably be looking to do it next year, or the year after. At the moment I'm in my ADV infant stage, with day rides only, so will need to build up overnight gear, luggage racks and the like, aswell as the fact I have never used a GPS, so will need to buy one and learn to use it.
Would be great to do it as a crew if anyone else is interested. I figured I would put this out nice and early so as to allow for lots of dreaming and planning.
So, what do you reckon?
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #6860
KevS69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Matt View Post
I'm interested in the APC concept, and want to ride it one day. Has anyone here SA done it and can give me some idea of what I will need to have in regards to setup and prep etc.
I'll probably be looking to do it next year, or the year after. At the moment I'm in my ADV infant stage, with day rides only, so will need to build up overnight gear, luggage racks and the like, aswell as the fact I have never used a GPS, so will need to buy one and learn to use it.
Would be great to do it as a crew if anyone else is interested. I figured I would put this out nice and early so as to allow for lots of dreaming and planning.
So, what do you reckon?
Only one I know is Ben Cromo he did it last year & had an absolute ball I'm sure he will be more than happy to tell you all about it, Cheers Kev

KevS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #6861
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,962
looks like Goneagain is having a good look around he is the other side of geralton (wa)heading.... who knows where?
hey sundowner how was the trip across the gulf?

ozbikedude screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 01:29 AM
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #6862
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,453
Hey mate, it was good. They've raised the price to $55 for the bike plus $35 for a rider, but it still works out better than paying for two tanks of fuel to spend 600km dodging roos and looking at boring scenery. The boat rolls a little and they had the passenger area heaters cranked up so high it was sickening. I spent the crossing upstairs in the fresh air, snoozing. Re the price, book online and you save about 15%, so worth doing. That area was so cold I couldn't wait to get home. Spent the last night at the Arno Bay Hotel - $40 for a room and $15 for a decent Sunday roast meal. Was good. The night before was better - met a couple of Japanese girls in Pt Lincoln so shared a cabin with them and a big bottle of Sake and Stone's Green Ginger Wine. Made me feel young again.
GoneAgain's certainly ambling around the place if he's that far up. I thought I'd be the last home. Can't say I found any reason to return to the Gawler Ranges or Eyre Peninsular in the near future. Pretty average scenery. Kingoonya looked like a hole, so I didn't bother going to Tarcoola goldfields. I reckon a trip to Tassie next. What about you?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #6863
ozbikedude
so little time

ya had a good ride ,went up binns track to alice(after we left you at finke)stayed the night there (went to the pub)then down the ernist giles rd and on to the rock ,down the gcr (camped near docker river)hey i met popeye he's still on the grader and nearly 70!! caught up with a coupla blokes on 690s as well as a coupla mad bastards on posties then down to kal via back tracks on toward home via west line and some f@#kin big limestone rocks 300km in 6 hours then down to mandura for fuel home next day across the nullabore! was good to catch up with you (thanks again for the road side repair) had a great trip will have to plan one again.
as for next ride ,tony wants to do the ann beadell so my have to gear up the 640 or just take the 950 witha lighter load?
Mmmh japanes hey did ya learn any thing or did they stich ya up with the sarke??
Old 06-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #6864
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
The night before was better - met a couple of Japanese girls in Pt Lincoln so shared a cabin with them and a big bottle of Sake and Stone's Green Ginger Wine. Made me feel young again.
Sorry Dick, if there's no pics, then it didn't happen.

Will we be seeing you at the 24?

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #6865
ozbikedude
so little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post

whens that and where?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #6866
Sundowner
Bort

Their opening words as they stepped into the cabin with me were "Do you like to drink Sake?" "Well, let me think about that." "Yes, I believe I probably do." You can always learn something new.
We'll have to keep in touch about the Ann Beadell - I'd be in it on the KTM540 - maybe get a few of those Ortlieb fuel bladders Tony and I saw some guys in Mt Dare using for a Simpson crossing. Almost did the Simpson myself but had a relapse after I ate some food on the Wednesday night. Had her all stripped down, ready to go. Found a 15 litre water tank that would have been perfect for the range. Was going to do the Rig Road option. Next time. That Binns Track to The Alice was tempting but I was a bit weak still. Spent two nights at Eringa Waterhole instead. Did a bit of fishing and listening to some tunes. Had a convoy of four 4WDers pull up 50 metres from me the second arvo - inconsiderate city dickheads. They must have left a heap of food out that night - brought the bloody dingoes into the camp area - had one try to pinch my camp oven bag - it had 3 chicken stock cubes in with my camp oven. Cheeky bugger - I was 10 metres away with my lantern and radio going.
Your run sounded like a great trip. I missed out on catching up with Jock and Kato when they came through Mt Dare. I was still crook in the campground area.
Glad to hear Popeye is still going well. He's a bloody great character - must be an occupational trait.
Great riding with you. Glad the fix held all the way home. Have you ordered the new seals yet? Great machine. Wish it was mine.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Old 06-30-2012, 04:39 AM   #6867
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbikedude View Post
whens that and where?
Kapunda trotting track Sat morning weekend after next. It seems like the whole of DBW and ADV meet there, renew acquaintances, and then hit the trails and vantage points and then meet up at various cold and barren locations near control points or spectator areas for a fire, bbq and a p*ss up - you wouldn't like it.

I'll have a 4WD there with a roof rack filled with sleepers.

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #6868
Sundowner
Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post

It'll be in the ride report, when I get to writing it.

Yeah, I reckon I could be forced to drink Stone's/Port around a fire for 24 hours. After mid 20's up north, I've re-acclimatized to the freezing conditions down here again. That paddock we ended up in last year was good. I guess it's elsewhere this year, so we'll have to find somewhere just as interesting. If there's a big group of us, I'd be happy to cook up a hearty stew that'd be good all night. Keep me informed of your plans, mate.
You should come over for it, Aub. It's a great event. Plenty of action around the track and spectator campground areas. Just need your swag. It's family friendly as well.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #6869
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
It'll be in the ride report, when I get to writing it.

Yeah, I reckon I could be forced to drink Stone's/Port around a fire for 24 hours. After mid 20's up north, I've re-acclimatized to the freezing conditions down here again. That paddock we ended up in last year was good. I guess it's elsewhere this year, so we'll have to find somewhere just as interesting. If there's a big group of us, I'd be happy to cook up a hearty stew that'd be good all night. Keep me informed of your plans, mate.
You should come over for it, Aub. It's a great event. Plenty of action around the track and spectator campground areas. Just need your swag. It's family friendly as well.
I'm just going to turn up at Kapunda with everything I need on board and see where it all goes. Same as always. .....Did we mention that it gets cold of a night??

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 06-30-2012, 05:15 AM   #6870
PBee

Oddometer: 8,253
I'm with him ^

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote