ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #121
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
You and me both only maybe an 800 like the others........
You don't necessarily need more cc's to have plenty of HP and with a long stroke and a heavy flywheel you would have the low end torque needed for an Adventure bike capable of off roading. With a good trellis frame made from light weight chromalloy tubing and a light 750 V-Twin FI engine I think it could be done.
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #122
Strokizator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Strokizator's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Cincinnapolis, Pennsyltucky
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
Like I wrote in an earlier post, I'm OK with KTM making a more street oriented 1190 based Adventure as long as they don't completely forget their clientele that wants to get their bikes dirty:.
Unfortunately, in the real world for every rider who can rock a 990 ADV there are at least 5 more who want to look like they can. IMO this explains why the other 1200's sell so well. KTM is in business to make money although I doubt they'll ever abandon their core riders. Put me down for a 750 ADV.
__________________
4 metal plates, 28 screws, titanium shoulder & surprisingly little talent.
Strokizator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #123
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
You don't necessarily need more cc's to have plenty of HP and with a long stroke and a heavy flywheel you would have the low end torque needed for an Adventure bike capable of off roading. With a good trellis frame made from light weight chromalloy tubing and a light 750 V-Twin FI engine I think it could be done.
Yes you can, but that bike won't be a KTM, or at least not the bike some of us expect. LC8 (and RC8) are short-stroke engines, they love to rev, and that's one of the reasons we own one.
The LC8 engine puts an smile on our faces. On the other side, the Super Tenere 1200 engine (and XT660R and Tenere) is ... boring. More capable? maybe, but still boring.
I think I'm the kind of guy that thinks is fast but I'm not. I may be slow, but my 990 makes me believe I'm an awesome rider, able to control the furious LC8 and just I love that feeling. I don't need to be the fastest guy out there, I'm happy thinking I'm fast.
So...give me a 1090cc, 125 HP, same weight the current 990 has and I'll buy that bike.
__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #124
dirtyac
Ktooner
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Melrose,NY
Oddometer: 30
Sorry folks, 2013 990 Adventure carries on with few changes. Maybe displacement wishes will be addressed next year... We'll have to wait and see.
__________________
11 KTM 690 Enduro, 06 KTM 200XCW, 07 KTM 990 Adventure S, 86 Honda Nighthawk S

dirtyac screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 05:46 AM
dirtyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #125
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
So...give me a 1090cc, 125 HP, same weight the current 990 has and I'll buy that bike.
pretty much and rather than low 400 pound 750 that will be marginally more capable off road i will use my 300 pound 690 for tight trails as i never liked the 950 much on singletrack anyway
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #126
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,226
Lighter for fight'in age...

You can only be young for so long... then gravity really settles in. And nothing makes a person feel old faster then a "Heavy Weight".

A lighter 750 Adventure will certainly extend the riding time for the mid centurians.

You'll all know the feeling... one day.
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #127
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
pretty much and rather than low 400 pound 750 that will be marginally more capable off road i will use my 300 pound 690 for tight trails as i never liked the 950 much on singletrack anyway
I don't want a marginal 750, I want a very capable long suspension traval, bad ass engine 750 that carries more than 3 gallons of fuel, duel sport, KTM LC8 based engine around 90 hp, that weighs around 400 lbs dry. I don't like the 690 Enduro because it is cramped, not very good for long stretches of highway and only carries 3+ gallons of fuel. It's more of a street legal dirt bike. Bad ass off road, but too short ranged for serious street touring. I'm looking for the bike that is both and not heavy. Seem like the manufactures are building bigger and heavier machines that are far more street capable than a true 50/50 Adventure Dual Sport! I want comfort and off road abilty with the abilty to carry fuel. Just because it can carry 7+ gallons of gas, doesn't mean you have to keep it topped off for off road riding
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #128
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, USA
Oddometer: 5,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
I don't want a marginal 750, I want a very capable long suspension traval, bad ass engine 750 that carries more than 3 gallons of fuel, duel sport, KTM LC8 based engine around 90 hp, that weighs around 400 lbs. I don't like the 690 Enduro because it is cramped, not very good for long stretches of highway and only carries 3+ gallons of fuel. It's more of a street legal dirt bike. Bad ass off road, but too short ranged for serious street touring. I'm looking for the bike that is both and not heavy.
So you want a 750cc adventure bike that puts out as much power as a 950 currently does, that is lighter by about 140 lbs, and has longer stock fuel range than a 950.

Sounds a bit unrealistic to me, but maybe that's just me.
__________________
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #129
bigdave-gs
Explorer
 
bigdave-gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
So you want a 750cc adventure bike that puts out as much power as a 950 currently does, that is lighter by about 140 lbs, and has longer stock fuel range than a 950.

Sounds a bit unrealistic to me, but maybe that's just me.
The 950 was carburated, 90 HP, and 407 lbs dry, and in 2007, so I don't think in todays technology with 1000 cc bikes easily making 180+ hp, that a 750 FI LC8 based engine wouldn't have any problem making 90 HP reliably. As far as weight, low 400 lb mark DRY wouldn't be that hard either. Hell man, the 2012 990 Adventure R is 456 lbs dry ! ! ! Doesn't seem to "unrealistic" to me.
__________________
I'd be unstoppable if not for Law Enforcement and Physics !
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened !

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !

bigdave-gs screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 01:30 PM
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #130
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
The 950 was carburated, 90 HP, and 407 lbs dry, and in 2007, so I don't think in todays technology with 1000 cc bikes easily making 180+ hp, that a 750 FI LC8 based engine wouldn't have any problem making 90 HP reliably. As far as weight, low 400 lb mark DRY wouldn't be that hard either. Hell man, the 2012 990 Adventure R is 456 lbs dry ! ! ! Doesn't seem to "unrealistic" to me.
I think it was 436 lbs dry,50 lbs lighter would be nice. They sold the se for a while but not a huge seller so an entirely new 750 platform might be a tough bussiness case but who knows
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #131
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 208
I have said it already and will keep saying it:

If Highland could do it a decade ago, KTM should be able to do it too.

Highland Outback 950 V2
Power: 85.00 HP
Torque: 103.00 Nm
Front suspension: 280mm travel 50 mm WP, adjustable compression and rebound
Rear suspension: 300mm travel WP, adjustable stiffness, compression and rebound
Dry weight: 165.0 kg (363.8 pounds)
Fuel capacity: 20.00 litres

Tataaa, KTM just has to paint it orange and they are good to go.
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #132
Beema Killa
Beema Killa
 
Beema Killa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary Canada
Oddometer: 693
I want a unicorn! And an unbelievably hot chick who isn't crazy and can cook. In all seriousness, that bike is TOTALLY DOABLE! 750cc's with 90ish HP, long travel with some range has gotta be around the corner no? Seems to me there could be a good sized market for it. Unicorns too.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #133
KTBen
Barrrp!
 
KTBen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Pipers Flat, N.S.W. Australia
Oddometer: 469
I think I read somewhere that the 450 rally makes about 70hp
__________________
690 ADV
KTBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #134
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 345
My SV650 Adventure build puts out around 65HP and weights 156kg/345lbs ready to ride with it's (16 liters / 4.2gal) fuel tank somewhat more than half filled.
If I add a front fairing + bracketry (adds weight) and replace the (steel) fuel tank with a composite underseat tank (loses weight), the total weight won't change all that much.

So yes, the bike pictured above would be very well doable for KTM. In fact, I wonder where all that extra weight of the LC8 Adventure compared to the LC4-640 Adventure comes from. Those two bikes are comparable in 'features' and the LC8 engine isn't that much heavier than the LC4-640 engine. I guess it just adds up; a little extra weight in the wheels to handle 100HP, a little extra weight in the swingarm to handle 100HP, a little extra weight in the frame for those 100HP, heavier chain and sprockets, and the list goes on.

Which also means that I probably don't want 90-ish HP, but more somewhere around 65hp. Makes the chassis lighter; less material needed to put all those horses on the road. And less horses to feed means more miles per gallon, which saves weight too.
65HP in such a light chassis is more than enough to be above the speed limit within seconds from standstill, it is enough to carry a pillion and still have fun on twisty and steep mountain roads, and 65 horses can get you into trouble real quick when going offroad.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #135
SixDays02
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SixDays02's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBit View Post
Which also means that I probably don't want 90-ish HP, but more somewhere around 65hp. Makes the chassis lighter; less material needed to put all those horses on the road. And less horses to feed means more miles per gallon, which saves weight too.
65HP in such a light chassis is more than enough to be above the speed limit within seconds from standstill, it is enough to carry a pillion and still have fun on twisty and steep mountain roads, and 65 horses can get you into trouble real quick when going offroad.
Sounds like AfricaTwin.
__________________
SixDays | Croatia
SixDays02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014