Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #331
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Bearing in mind the content of your posts on here, and the fact they seem to indicate you have been involved with trials riding for many decades, I wonder what year you started riding Sting, and what line do you ride currently?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #332
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Bearing in mind the content of your posts on here, and the fact they seem to indicate you have been involved with trials riding for many decades, I wonder what year you started riding Sting, and what line do you ride currently?

Just chiming in here, but I am having trouble relating length of tenure riding trials (and ability level) and quality of opinion/strength of argument.

To relate a story, I was once in a bad (re: dangerous) place in 2004. There I happened to do some work with a certain type of soldier that they make movies and television shows about. Some refer to them as operatives (no not the green beret types...think higher). Anyway, these guys know everything there is to know about firearms right? After all these are the primary tools of their trade. I asked him about a 1911-pattern pistol he was carrying, as it was obviously highly customized by a skilled pistolsmith. His answer, "I have no idea. It's a tool and I know how to use it."

Moral of the story: there was no direct correlation between his skill level and his knowledge of the inner mechanics and theories behind the tools he used. Why would it be any different for a high-caliber moto rider/racer? Does Toni Bou know what the optimal cam timing is for making his bike react just the way he wants it? Maybe he does maybe he doesn't. Regardless, it's not a given and furthermore it doesn't necessarily help him be a better competition trials rider.

On the opposite side of this coin, a poorly skilled rider could have a great deal of knowledge on the mechanical working of his bike and the theories behind them. Again, no direct correlation between skill and mechanical knowledge.

Lastly, I've known people to say, "I've been doing this for ## years, so I know what I'm doing." The only given fact of the matter is that you've been doing it for ## years. Could have been doing it correctly, could have been doing it incorrectly. Empirical evidence proves whether it was being done correctly or not, the length of time it was done is far less relevant.

Point being, we should stick to presentation of relevant facts in presenting our arguments and try to stay away from points of data that may have nothing to bear on the discussion.

Just an opinion.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #333
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
shouldnt all this crap be over here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768936

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #334
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Just chiming in here, but I am having trouble relating length of tenure riding trials (and ability level) and quality of opinion/strength of argument.

To relate a story, I was once in a bad (re: dangerous) place in 2004. There I happened to do some work with a certain type of soldier that they make movies and television shows about. Some refer to them as operatives (no not the green beret types...think higher). Anyway, these guys know everything there is to know about firearms right? After all these are the primary tools of their trade. I asked him about a 1911-pattern pistol he was carrying, as it was obviously highly customized by a skilled pistolsmith. His answer, "I have no idea. It's a tool and I know how to use it."

Moral of the story: there was no direct correlation between his skill level and his knowledge of the inner mechanics and theories behind the tools he used. Why would it be any different for a high-caliber moto rider/racer? Does Toni Bou know what the optimal cam timing is for making his bike react just the way he wants it? Maybe he does maybe he doesn't. Regardless, it's not a given and furthermore it doesn't necessarily help him be a better competition trials rider.

On the opposite side of this coin, a poorly skilled rider could have a great deal of knowledge on the mechanical working of his bike and the theories behind them. Again, no direct correlation between skill and mechanical knowledge.

Lastly, I've known people to say, "I've been doing this for ## years, so I know what I'm doing." The only given fact of the matter is that you've been doing it for ## years. Could have been doing it correctly, could have been doing it incorrectly. Empirical evidence proves whether it was being done correctly or not, the length of time it was done is far less relevant.

Point being, we should stick to presentation of relevant facts in presenting our arguments and try to stay away from points of data that may have nothing to bear on the discussion.

Just an opinion.

- Ken

Bearing in mind the pantomime related to dealing with Bin Laden by crack US special forces, I can see exactly where you are coming from!

My point here though was that Sting appears to be posting from the perspective of someone who has been involved with trials for many years, and was merely curious as to how long that might actually be?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #335
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,316
My very first motorcycle competition was a trials in 1973. I've been in and out of the sport over the years. I currently own a 2012 GG Pro and still can't ride it. What do you want to know....
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #336
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
My very first motorcycle competition was a trials in 1973. I've been in and out of the sport over the years. I currently own a 2012 GG Pro and still can't ride it. What do you want to know....
How long Sting has been riding trials would be of interest to me.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #337
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,316
You're not alone. He's also pissing people off over on Thumper Talk too.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #338
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
He looks so good I`ll just bring the old Raga to try to keep up!!!! Beavertown early sunday? ( My wifes jet ski parts did not make it , too bad!)
Bob, we're gonna hit B-Town at 7:30 am Sunday and try to get a couple of hours in before the blazing heat!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #339
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Thanks, I`m just loading a bike into the `new` van at this moment!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #340
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
You're not alone. He's also pissing people off over on Thumper Talk too.

I guess he must be an "expert" on everything 4T as well then! Seems strange he is unable to let everyone know how long he has actually been riding though?
Old 07-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #341
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
Sting is starting his holiday at some lake I`m guessing. Could be back tommorrow or off a whole week!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #342
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I know him personally. He and his dad are both friends of mine. He's a pretty good rider.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #343
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
I know him personally. He and his dad are both friends of mine. He's a pretty good rider.
How long has he been riding trials I wonder?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #344
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
How long has he been riding trials I wonder?
Since the '70's from what I gather.

ANY WAY, OJ got it's first oil change in over 2 years -

Mmmm, reflections in the filthy oil........

Refilled with oil that is simply way too good for it. I run the same stuff in my 4RT Montesa, so I use it in both bikes -

Then I tried something....well....different. I found these bar risers in my toolbox. They had come off of a '76 BMW R90/6 that I had some 17 years ago. Since I "ape" over the bars as it is (I'm 6'" tall, almost all of it leg) I figured it was worth a try. Too bad it looks rather silly -

Took it out riding today. The risers may look silly, but I can't complain about how the bike feels with them on though. I'm thinking risers with an inch shorter rise would be about right.

Or a set of custom billet triple clamps with a nice set of custom bar mounts and tall Trials bars.

More to come!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #345
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Ist trials 1973 if I recall correctly rode a few meets on an xr75, I might have tried one before that, on a 71 trail-hopper. My 1st actual trials motocycle, new off showroom floor, 1974 ty80.

yeah too long...

removed the TMI.

Sting32 screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 02:15 PM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote