Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #13261
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I know at this point you've pretty much answered your questions, but this is the first chance I've had to get back here.

Truthfully I think you're *almost* splitting hairs on both accounts, meaning that although the XC is a better equipped motorcycle for off pavement use it's not so much better than you'd feel significantly lacking on a roadie in the places you would typically take a bike this size. There's always the exception like the bloke down under who takes a V-Strom to places I'd have trouble taking my Jeep Rubicon , but for the rest of us I believe either version of the Tiger would be very good both on and off pavement. Of course the XC would be better off pavement. It probably has a bit wider gap in performance compared to the roadie when the off pavement stuff gets rough than the roadie has on the XC on tight, twisty pavement.

At least when comparing stock bike to stock bike.

But no one ever leaves a bike completely stock. And that's where I think a bit more difference comes into play. The new Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trails available in Roadie sizes are fantastic street tires. You can't get a 21" version. Since 90/10 tires are mostly an off pavement joke, the PR3T's probably don't give up a hell of a lot off pavement to the Pirellis my Tiger came with, though I have only had a few miles off pavement since I installed the PR3T and am probably not a competent enough off pavement rider to tell you exactly how much difference exists. But I am a very competent on pavement rider, and my bike sees just as much bad weather as it does good weather. I do not enjoy the Pirellis in the rain, and even worse in the cold rain. Knobbies of any kind are even worse. The Michelins definitely improve wet pavement grip, even more so than they do dry pavement grip. The XC's suspension that certainly gives it an advantage off pavement is potentially a bit worse for aggressive cornering on pavement, but it depends on road conditions. However, that same suspension is more plush and comfortable for long days.

What it all comes down to is each one is a compromise, a conglomeration of certain characteristics in a class of motorcycle that is by it's very design a compromise and conglomeration of many individual classes of bike. Any time you build a motorcycle to be a sport bike, touring bike, off road bike, two up bike, pack mule, etc., you are getting a compromise of all of these things, and it shows. But Triumph has managed to come up with a VERY well rounded package. One has a bit more dirt slant, one has a bit more pavement slant. Both lose to a sport bike in the twisties, or a dirt bike when off pavement, or a touring bike when traveling. How much or how little you want to give up in each of these categories should guide you to the right decision. Personally, being an aggressive rider on pavement and a somewhat timid rider off pavement the choice was easy and clear. The tubes and spokes of the XC made the choice even easier. The roadie has kept me relatively comfortable on multi thousand mile trips, kept me well entertained on twisty pavement, and is capable of delivering more than I know how to ask of it off pavement. It was as close to the "right" bike as I could get. Unfortunately my SO doesn't necessarily agree, as she misses the GL1800 I sold a couple of months ago. If you want your wife to be happy on a Tiger, don't EVER let her ride on the back of a modern Gold Wing

You are very articulate and I couldn't agree more. The yellow hilite is what I came to learn. And I don't mind slowing down, I do anyway - I'm not sportbike rider, too chicken. I still hate blind corners after thousands of miles on road. And I slow down 2 up so as long as it will cruise I'll be happy. Before I take delivery tomorrow we are both getting on it and run up the freeway a stint and make sure it's happy there.

The orange highlight is a gem and also what I was able to learn from this thread, and from trying out the different bikes. It's not gonna suit everybody, but as long as it suits me we're cool, right? Obviously there's a few here that agree. Everybody likes their bikes and no one is whining about them breaking. I like that.

When it came down to it, it only made sense with my history of dirtbike riding, over 40 years now. I'm buying it as a roadbike so the offroad capablity comes as a big bonus to me. The local guys like to ride lots of dirt roads and it's fun, so having a bike that can do it is just cool. This is my grocery getter and fun around town bike, ride to work half the time (5mi), and that's why I liked the triple so much. Compared to the s10 or GS it's just a lot more fun. I just hope it's smooth and fast on the freeway too.

Spokes don't bother me, I already have the habit of tuning them, and I've changed so many tires that I can almost do it with my eyes closed, so pulling a tube doesn't bother me. I rarely get a flat. And I don't ride in rain unless I'm forced to, I'm a fair weather rider. Plus the spoked wheels are absolutely stronger and if you bend a rim you just raplace the rim, not the whole wheel. It just seems natural to have spokes on a motorcycle wheel, it's old school I guess.

I don't like that there is no seperate subframe. And I'll probably have a custom seat made, at least for the pillion.

I've put about 5K miles on the scorp trails on my Versys and my experience has been that they are fantastic tire. But I don't ride in the rain. Air down to 20lbs they grip dirt road surface like velcro. Obviously they are worthless in sand or mud. I will probably get a set of K60's for it, see how they run on the road.

Thanks for the input. I'm pretty excited about putting some miles on this one. I can already tell I'm gonna love it so much more than the old bike. Motorcycle pashion I guess.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #13262
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
800 vs XC

My decision to buy the XC was primarily longer suspension travel for a smoother ride. My other road bike being a ST2 Ducati which has a taught 5" of travel. In the last year having done 9700 miles I'm pleased with my choice for comfort, handling, and the moderate off road I've done so far. First with oem Battle Wings, now with Heidenau Scouts the bike hands fine with only a sliver of chicken strip showing. I would of never believed a 21" equipped bike handling as such. The main benefit I see in the 800 Roadie is the ability to plug a flat and lower seat height, but at the cost of lower clearance and slightly stiffer ride. A friend of mine has a KTM 950 Adventure running MT21 front/Dunlop bow tie rear and keeps up with most sport bike riders. That's why I took a chance and have not looked back.......
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #13263
booth99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Installed my Happy Trails panniers today.

booth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #13264
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth99 View Post
Installed my Happy Trails panniers today.

These look really nice.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #13265
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,403
Those bags look like they were made for that bike, which they were. Those are the best looking luggage available for the Tiger IMHO.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #13266
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Those bags look like they were made for that bike, which they were. Those are the best looking luggage available for the Tiger IMHO.
+1 ...based on everything I have seen have to agree. I like that they are symmetrical! And the gap on the left side looks like a great place for a tool tube

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #13267
T
stay classy

Oddometer: 5,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinNC View Post
+1 ...based on everything I have seen have to agree. I like that they are symmetrical! And the gap on the left side looks like a great place for a tool tube
+1

What model is that? HT's site doesn't show that cut (unless it's custom).....
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #13268
booth99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
+1

What model is that? HT's site doesn't show that cut (unless it's custom).....
Teton 9" Clif Cut.
booth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #13269
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,276
Had the shifter spring recall and center stand recall done today. Shifting seems just a touch crisper, meaning I can feel the indexing of the gears a bit better. They did not replace the center stand, but I never had any problem with it anyway. They did install the thicker center stand bumper. At this point I have no idea if they were really supposed to replace the stand. I've read too many conflicting reports from other dealers. Anyone know the real truth?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #13270
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Built a phone/GPS bracket to mount to my Madstad screen. 3/4" pcv with a piece of 10-24 allthread through the middle. Attaches between the windscreen brackets. If if works well, I will replace the PVC with a piece of aluminum rod. Now if I could rotate the photo all would be well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #13271
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,876
Does one of you live in the SF Bay Area and has a paddock stand? I got a center stand today and need to mount it. Mounting instructions say as one of the first things: remove side stand.

Anybody in the area who could help? I'm in the South Bay and could bring bike, stand, and beer (if you so desire) ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #13272
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

2012 Tiger 800XC

Thank you everyone for all the input. Here it is...wifey is signed on with me.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #13273
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Not true. There is no direct connection between a footpeg and a tire. A scraping peg is not an indication that you are going beyond the contact patch. It is only an indication that you are scraping a peg. For example, with 400 pounds on the bike the suspension will be so compressed that the peg will drag relatively early in terms of lean angle. A 120 pound rider would have a lot more available lean angle before the pegs touched, and would be significantly closer to the edge of the tire.

The footpegs on the tiger are hinged. When they touch they pivot upward. At 185 pounds in riding gear, I am able to continue my lean and can feel them lift with no ill consequences. I've spent enough years at the track and have been on my ass enough times that I have a generally good assessment of limits, when they are being exceeded, and what the consequences are. I'll take a scraping footpeg any day over less contact patch and inferior street rubber (comparatively)

You lean it far enough, any hard part (ie. the peg mount, shift lever) that that touches down in between the direct line of the front and rear of a Tiger 800 (see title of thread, not talking about track bikes here) will act as a fulcrum and lift the tires when in the apex.

Anyway, Congrats on your new Tiger, browneye. I got the white one too. You're gonna love it. As I'm working this weekend, I've been out an hour before and an hour after work putting in break-in miles. I work graveyard shift so I'll eventually post pics on some sleepless night.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #13274
T
stay classy

Oddometer: 5,397
After a few muddy off road jaunts I noticed the XC likes to throw crap on to the rear shock (and the general vicinity). Rather than opt for the rear tire hugger (don't really care for the look), I thought I'd remedy the problem with the "contraption" my 05 Tiger had- a little mudflap. So off to Lowes and $3.00 later and 15 minutes of work this is what I came up with.

I cut a piece of rubber stair tread cover (it's slightly heavier than truck inner tube material) and industrial Velcro to the airbox and back of the mudflap and done. It has stayed in place well on the road although I haven't given it the mud test yet. It should help keep most of the mud from reaching the shock since the flap on the 05 Tiger did a pretty good job of keeping the area clean....
Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #13275
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post

You lean it far enough, any hard part (ie. the peg mount, shift lever) that that touches down in between the direct line of the front and rear of a Tiger 800 (see title of thread, not talking about track bikes here) will act as a fulcrum and lift the tires when in the apex.
I'm talking about the Tiger 800. Go lift up on the foot peg of one. You'll see it pivots upward. Just like a track bike I never said I had touched down a mount or a shift lever, only the foot pegs. That's more than enough lean for the street. And since I'm speaking from experience I know it doesn't leverage tires off of the ground. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to host the 2 gig video I shot last summer on the bike down in the smokys or you could see for yourself.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote