Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #1651
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I'd forgotten that harcus had done one up as well.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #1652
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Just picked one of these bad boys up. Obviously it needs a skid plate. What skid plates are people running? Any thoughts on one that people prefer?
Good to see you last night Rob.. thanks for the bivy

I have the Hyde racing plate on mine.

Tip: put double sided tape on the "u" mounts when you bolt it up and cinch it down the first time to "stick" the mounting plates to the frame and keep them from sliding around. Now removing and fixing the skid plate is an easy one hand 30 second operation

You can see it in this photo from a couple of minutes ago (just loading up to go camping/riding for the weekend )

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #1653
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Bored

Wife is driving now and the Tx panhandle is boring as hell. Just found this vid on YouTube. May be euro speck exc, but that means xcw. And if ecu is same then adjustments can be made. Not just a different map. Unless euros get completely different ecu.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MkvYBaHlZE
Old 06-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #1654
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Wife is driving now and the Tx panhandle is boring as hell. Just found this vid on YouTube. May be euro speck exc, but that means xcw. And if ecu is same then adjustments can be made. Not just a different map. Unless euros get completely different ecu.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4MkvYBaHlZE
They do not get a different ECU, Just differnt maps. I had the Euro exc map installed on my bike Which is basically the same as the xcw here and is suppose to allow me to use the map switch form sicass/trailtech. For some reason the ECU is locked for the XCW map but the Euro EXC map installs. It did take a little pushing for me to get it done by the dealer.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #1655
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,321
Map switch question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post
They do not get a different ECU, Just differnt maps. I had the Euro exc map installed on my bike Which is basically the same as the xcw here and is suppose to allow me to use the map switch form sicass/trailtech. For some reason the ECU is locked for the XCW map but the Euro EXC map installs. It did take a little pushing for me to get it done by the dealer.
I am still wondering about mild v wild mapping on the EXC 500. Is this like the 530 where you buy a switch? I see two open wires dangling loose under my head light. The look like the same wires on the 530. can I plug them together as see if I can tell the difference?

Just wondering.

BTW - I do not have an owners manual (very long story). Can anyone lead me to a source. Thanks

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #1656
avconnect
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
I have a question for you. If you were able to replace the cable do you think you could have got one with a banjo fitting and put inline 90 digree fitting the on it so it would lower the cable down below the top triple clamp? Or how about two 45s or 2 90's to lower the fitting below the top triple clamp.

Again this is not a criticism just a question?
I think a custom cable will solve it if the right fitting at a 45 degree angle is available. 45 is too much. A gentle slope downward will do it. Spiegler makes a nice cable I am told.
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #1657
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifdickerson2006 View Post

And how does the bike run with the Euro map? Better?

Looking at the electrical schematics indicates that the EU EXC & the EXC Six Days have a Lambda (oxygen) sensor that the USA EXC / all XCW units do not have. Doesn't seem that the EU software should work properly without the sensor. Confusing.

The optional MAP switch shows up on the EXC & XCW schematics. Sicass says that the dealer MUST unlock the ECU to be effective. Did your dealer do that?

Just curious...

Current rides - '03 ST1300 74k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #1658
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,156
I did some single track in TN this past week and realized how wide my bars are . I've never cut down bar. Anyone done it to their 500 yet? Curious to hear the proper technique and how much ya can nip off?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #1659
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by avconnect View Post
I think a custom cable will solve it if the right fitting at a 45 degree angle is available. 45 is too much. A gentle slope downward will do it. Spiegler makes a nice cable I am told.
I'm thinking that a 90 deg fitting would be perfect. A straight banjo fitting comes 90 degrees off the surface that it's bolted to. That would be straight down in the case in question. If the fitting had a 90 deg bend it would end up back parallel to the bar but offset about an inch up or down (depending on how you install the line) which would provide compete clearance on the pivot.

Doing some basic research online, it looks like the Brembo master cylinders use a standard diameter metric fitting with a 1.0M thread pitch. If I just had a local source for anything, I'd take it all down and figure it out.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #1660
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
I am still wondering about mild v wild mapping on the EXC 500. Is this like the 530 where you buy a switch? I see two open wires dangling loose under my head light. The look like the same wires on the 530. can I plug them together as see if I can tell the difference?

Just wondering.

BTW - I do not have an owners manual (very long story). Can anyone lead me to a source. Thanks
Yes, Its a switch you can buy from Trail Tech or Sicass Racing. But you plug it in under the seat. There is a plug with a dead end cap on it and it plugs in there. I am actually wondering what the additioanl plugs are behind the headlamp myself.

I live in California and bought the bike out of West Virginia had it shipped here and paid the taxes(was still cheaper than buying it in California out the door). I just received the bike 2 days ago after a 3 week wait to get it here and am in the middle of some major farkling. I did not get to ride the bike before the reprogram but actually gave the mechanic the code number from the Sicass Racing (its noted on the page for the switch) and he got back to me saying that is the euro exc map and that is the only one they can put in and it is the unlock map they use. It was the first time he had done it and took the bike for a test ride after words and said it made a huge difference. I have been riding it around town lately no offroad duty yet and it runs great just the popping on decel, I am doing the desmog kit on it this morning, I will post pics of before and after when I am done.

I am installing the HDB kit with frt and rear led blinkers looks clean and is well built but but I have to figure out how to wire in some resistors to the" blinker on light", The blinkers will only work correctly with the light out of the socket. No ground to the socket so with the light in, and signals on, all four blink like hazard lights(yes I have the led relay) but am not sure how to wire in a resistor to the lamp to stop the flow from going to the other side of the bike. BTW I am not good with electricity and can usually make it work so dont get to technical on me.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #1661
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
I'm thinking that a 90 deg fitting would be perfect. A straight banjo fitting comes 90 degrees off the surface that it's bolted to. That would be straight down in the case in question. If the fitting had a 90 deg bend it would end up back parallel to the bar but offset about an inch up or down (depending on how you install the line) which would provide compete clearance on the pivot.

Doing some basic research online, it looks like the Brembo master cylinders use a standard diameter metric fitting with a 1.0M thread pitch. If I just had a local source for anything, I'd take it all down and figure it out.
I would not go with the 90 degree fitting I have ran two of those on my old KTM and both times hit a branch or something and broke the line, All I can say is riding back to camp 10-15 miles with no clutch in the middle of a black diamond trail is no fun.But that is just my two cents.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #1662
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,114
Sorry for the crappy pics, this was all done on my cell......

Here is my setup, which has worked flawlessly...

Plenty of room for everything

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:07 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #1663
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Sorry for the crappy pics, this was all done on my cell......

Here is my setup, which has worked flawlessly...

Plenty of room for everything
yep just ordered the micro switch from HDB, But with the oem switch there is a little bit of rubbing but mine is still not as bad as the other inmate. I cut a little bit more off my grips to give me more room. Mine is actually just barely touching the HDB mount I could live with it but figured the switch would just make the whole set up nicer. and delete another possibility of failure somewhere down the road,
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #1664
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colemanfu View Post
I did some single track in TN this past week and realized how wide my bars are . I've never cut down bar. Anyone done it to their 500 yet? Curious to hear the proper technique and how much ya can nip off?

I'm on a 350 but same bars as the 500. The 32" are way to wide for my liking. I'm debating on cutting or changing to flex bars (31"). I may try and trim stock to 30" and see how it all fits back together.
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #1665
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,545
Threre are 4 maps listed for the 500>>

USA, XCW > KM787US12C0701 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701
USA, EXC > KM787US12C0651 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701
Euro EXC, EXCF > KM787EU12C0651 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701
Aus EXC, EXCF > KM787EU12C0701 stock, Unrestricted> KM787EU12C0701

PowerParts for aftermarket Pipe and Silencer, USA, Euro, or Aus >KM787EU12C0701 (same as original Aus and all Unrestricted),
Notes: Slipon or Silencer set Akrapovic, SLS / EPC / HEGO OFF; Without catalytic converter

Looks like the Unrestricted EU...0701 is the ticket.

>>Edit, added models and 4th map<<<

Zuber screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 12:25 PM
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote