Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #16
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
FWIW, I'm not big (160lb or so) and took a heavy woman on the GSA. Not good. Maybe OK if you're both the same weight, but in our case every time we accelerated felt like the front was going to lift. The steering was awful. If the driver was the heavier party it would be better. Nevertheless the bike seems kind of sensitive to weight.

On a Road King, felt almost the same as if I was by myself. Another bike that would be good for heavy loads is the BMW K1600GTL. With the latter though we're struggling with the pillion seat. Will probably have to make some kind of cushion inset for the backrest.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #17
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
me and my wife total weight is about 20stone. and my r100gs on stock set up goes fine.

if you have very long legs i would look at the 12gs or 12gsadv as those bike are huge. seat hight wise and total mass
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:46 AM   #18
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
We are actually working on losing weight.

Cut-out Starch, lactose and refined sugar. I cut it completely out of my diet this past Oct due to a genetic disease. I dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks and a total of 30 pounds over the next 4 months. I'm down to 195 and still dropping. I'll be eating this way thee rest of my life (I have no choice).

All you have to do is shop around the outside of the grocery store. Stay out of the middle.

Daily diet. Tons of apples and....

Porsche Audi VW

B.Curvin screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 03:52 AM
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,474
Grapes have tons of calories, just saying ... but maybe you need it, with all the other stuff you can´t eat.

Does anyone remember the epic JoMomma rant by a 600+lbs guy who smashed the cellphone out of some fratboy´s hand who was trying to take a picture of him on his bike while driving past him in a car (from the passsenger seat)?
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
Grapes have tons of calories, just saying ... but maybe you need it, with all the other stuff you can´t eat.

Oh I need it. I tallied it up a while back and even when I eat an entire bag of pork rinds in a day (They are my substitute for crackers, bread and all the flour based things I can't eat) my caloric intake, fat, cholesterol, sodium and anything else I could think of still fell way below FDA guidelines. Btw, I only indulge in a bag of pork rinds with tons of cayenne about once a week. I eat a pound of salad for breakfast everyday, two pounds for lunch and grilled chicken (or something similar) and salad for dinner. I eat tons of apples, grapes, dates and prunes in between meals to stop me getting hungry. I've not had the afternoon energy slump since I started this diet. My energy levels stay the same from waking until bedtime.

Rivercreep, my "salad dressing" is a 2:1 mix of evoo and balsamic vinegar. If you use the pre-made crap it will blow the value of the salad out of the water. It's amazing what you find in your "food" when you start looking.

For instance I eat a lot of yogurt. Dannon all natural, and it is all natural. The majority of yogurt out there is a bucket of chemicals.

Num num.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In the future, I WILL be getting a larger bike that can handle 2-up riding.

Since I always see larger couples (who look bigger than me and my girl) riding Harleys, I started looking at them.
I liked the looks of their "Switchback" model but, having looked at that and the rest of their line-up...seems they aren't up to handling our combined weight of around 550lbs.

A bike that does come close to the magic G.V.W.R. is the new 1250 bandit but it still falls short for capacity.

Fact: the only thing I've found that can handle both of us is a Ural with a sidecar.

I don't want to sound non P.C. but have to ask....(actually, I don't care!)
How do you other lard assed couples handle 2-up riding? (what's your bike of choice?)

Surprisingly (thank God because they aren't in my taste or price range) even Goldwings fall short in terms of G.V.W.R. when you factor in the bikes weight.

So....anyone know of bikes that can handle 550lbs of fat people?
is 550lbs = 45 stone ? if so i think it be hard to fine a bike that can handal that total weight.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
rivercreep, My wife & I have the same problem. We usually tour on two bikes, nowdays. Which works well, lots of cargo capacity. We have 2 Harleys, a Uly and a SuperTT. Two up on the Roadking is O.K. but Harleys have less front to back space than most people think.This is really the case with a Tour Pac installed. The Uly really surprised us. It has much more room & with the preload cranked up, the ride is much better. It is a little too tall tho. I think an XB12XT, with it's lower suspension would be just the ticket.

Good luck with the search!
Murf2
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #23
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
The tree hugger food pictures need to be put in their place....

Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #24
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their replies.

2 Bikes = not so sure about as my Girl has never even ridden a bicycle and I'd rather have her count on my skill to help keep her safe. (lots of really bad cage drivers in Reading Pa.)

Next thing I'll be looking at are the weight ratings on the tires that some of the models I'm researching are using.
Might be a good base point to see what's available for upgrades there to go with suspension work.
We're actually about equal in size all the way around. (H X W etc)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #25
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their replies.

2 Bikes = not so sure about as my Girl has never even ridden a bicycle and I'd rather have her count on my skill to help keep her safe. (lots of really bad cage drivers in Reading Pa.)

Next thing I'll be looking at are the weight ratings on the tires that some of the models I'm researching are using.
Might be a good base point to see what's available for upgrades there to go with suspension work.
We're actually about equal in size all the way around. (H X W etc)
tires are not as important as suspension, I wanted to do the same thing, ended up going with a WP rear shock w 17.2kg spring in back and 1.2kg springs in the fork on my V-strom 1000, suspension wise, I'm good for 650 lbs payload, with motorcycle tires yer prolly gonna be overloaded, personally I don't think overloading the tires is a problem. I went to the darkside for other reasons (winter traction) having a rear tire rated for 1350 was a bonus
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
The tree hugger food pictures need to be put in their place....
Not sure what eating well has to do with tree huggers. (?)

Raised on timber $$$

Old 07-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #28
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
Padma can turn a vegan into a bacon cheese burger eater like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #29
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

have you thought about a bike and sidecar? as they are made to carry the weight of 3 people plus stuff .

so as long as you only go 2 up on it then it be fine i guess.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #30
Rhino-1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Go find whats comfortable for the both of you, then modify accordingly (suspension, seats, etc). The poster that mentioned "legalese" is right--manufacturers have to cover their arses because they have to put out a product that suits the majority of the consumers.

It would take a heck of lot more than 550 lbs to "break" any of the above-recommended bikes, or to overwhelm their ability to stop. My .02

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, '04 Aprilia Mille Factory, '75 Honda CB125S
Rhino-1 is offline   Reply With Quote