Quote:
Originally Posted by lout View Post
fark....glad you are ok!
+1 and glad to see that's all the damage to the bike. Hang in there Brendan
Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #182
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,043
Shit Brendan glad you're ok. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I suspect just about every sidecar rider has gone into a corner too hot and drifted onto the other side of the road. I know I have but thankfully nothing was coming the other way.

Like they say, get back on the horse straight away. It's a lesson learned. Other lesson's will also be learned. I've been riding sidecars since the very early 80's and I'm still learning how the ride the bloody things (shuddup Clancy and TD, I know what you're thinking).

Hopefully you're still going to Pooncarie.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #183
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post
Shit Brendan glad you're ok. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I suspect just about every sidecar rider has gone into a corner too hot and drifted onto the other side of the road. I know I have but thankfully nothing was coming the other way.

Like they say, get back on the horse straight away. It's a lesson learned. Other lesson's will also be learned. I've been riding sidecars since the very early 80's and I'm still learning how the ride the bloody things (shuddup Clancy and TD, I know what you're thinking).

3legs

Not me. My parents always told me never to pick on the old and infirm.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:53 AM   #184
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Not me. My parents always told me never to pick on the old and infirm.

hey, my parents gave me the same advice, old boy.

Glad you're okay Brendan. Best way to learn to ride a sidecar? ride with a couple of experienced sidecarists and follow their lines. Just a thought, it worked for me.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #185
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs View Post

3legs
G'day Alex !!! I expected some sort of a learning curve but it's been a bit steep so far. I am hoping to go to Pooncarie I will see how things evolve.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #186
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Thumb Buffer

I hear Brendan has a new method of protection cominig up. A chair on both sides and one front and rear. Plus a spare.
Cheers Brstar
P.S. Glad you survived both incidences.
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #187
miggins11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Don't give up on it too easily - I reckon it took me 6 months before I was fully confident - and that was 25 years ago! It's one hell of a steep learning curve I know but stick in there.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #188
boatmole
Druken Wildebeest

Oddometer: 84
Hi Brenden,

Glad your ok, hang in there.

I been hacking for a while, in the states we have right hand rigs, right/left hand makes no difference. I came around a right hand turn on the California coast, turn sharpened abruptly, hit a freak buckle rise in the tarmack with the sidecar wheel. The sidecar lifted on the right sending me into the oncoming lane to the left just as a car came around the corner in the other direction. We both hammered the brakes and luckly stopped within 10 feet of each other, at the edge of the cliff.

Buddy said, said he smelt oil smoke after the incident, I told him it was me squeezing the bike so hard with my legs that it was flames shooting out my ass.

I hit the brakes ahead of the turn which should have slowed me considerably, but didn't, the "why" part didn't register on my brain till the following day returning home in the rain, no back brake. I had recently changed all the disc brake pads and everything worked fine. Nothing like riding home in the rain with only a front brake after a summers traffic of oil leaking cars, slick roads, front locks easily, back did nothing. Turns out the brake pad by the piston in the rear brake had somehow got cocked in the brake caliper, never seen this before or since. Very scarry way to go cliff diving, don't recommend it.

I have pushed through the corners 3 times to many where the rig has gone out of control oposite the sidecar, into the oncoming traffic lane, the cause was to much speed on, brake failure and freak sidecar wheel strikes on rough pavement.

I have driven the same rig in a dual sport ride rock roads, power sliding around corners, 70 MPH on the flats, even tipped it on a hairpin turn on a rock road, got back on and hammered my way to the finish of a 150 mile day. Was a total blast, difference was I knew the roads were rock, rutted and rough and expected the worse. Problem with freak accidents on paved roads is we get complacent as the roads are generaly smooth and we forget to expect the unexpected, Stay sharp.

Still love sidecars, restoring #9 as we speak. Best advise, drive slower than you have to, anticipate the worst and plan for it. Scan 360 degrees around you as you ride, look for the drivers whos heads are bobing up and down, they look up to see the road, look down to text, generaly easy to spot a they are usually holding up traffic. Thankfuly in the states the police are getting serious about cell phone and text, beginning to hand out big fines with emphasis to issue larger fines.

Cheers,

Marty
boatmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 AM   #189
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

G'day All just a bit of an update !!! I'm still hacking along I decided that I was not gunna let it beat me !!! Anyway a bit more work has been done to the chair to bring it closer to the finished point of where I want it. Spent most of a Saturday at Clancy's place with help from Clancy,making up a new nudge/driving light bar. At this stage its not finished but have a couple of photos to give an impression of what it will look like.

The next day was spent around at a fellow work mates place who is also a qualified motor trimmer to get a new tonneau cover made up.

Brendan J screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 02:45 AM
Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #190
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,904
Gee Brendan, that tonneau cover is very.....um....blue.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #191
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
Gee Brendan, that tonneau cover is very.....um....blue.

Sorry was taken at high noon with my mobile phone so colour ain't quite right it is slightly darker but lighter than the bikes colour.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #192
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,466
Moved over to the "Some Assembly Required" Forum at the Original Posters request.

Hi Brendan.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #193
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Thanks Nev !!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #194
Brendan J OP
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Well since I have last posted about the build a fair bit has happen, some things I haven't or wanted to happen.

To start with the chair nudge/bull bar has been finished and fitted.

I had been hankering to also put some driving lights to make it a bit easier to see of a night time, as we some wonderful wildlife here that truely love to wrecker motor vehicles.

I have also been thinking of fitting a screen to the chair as well. I managed to sweet talk a good friend in letting me have the screen off his boat to play around with.

Brendan J screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 03:54 AM
Old 07-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #195
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Moved over to the "Some Assembly Required" Forum at the Original Posters request.

Hi Brendan.
Sorry mate, I misunderstood your original request.

Lets see if we got it right for you now.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote