Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #13321
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinNC View Post
+1 ...based on everything I have seen have to agree. I like that they are symmetrical! And the gap on the left side looks like a great place for a tool tube
+1

What model is that? HT's site doesn't show that cut (unless it's custom).....
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #13322
booth99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingtom View Post
+1

What model is that? HT's site doesn't show that cut (unless it's custom).....
Teton 9" Clif Cut.
booth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #13323
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Had the shifter spring recall and center stand recall done today. Shifting seems just a touch crisper, meaning I can feel the indexing of the gears a bit better. They did not replace the center stand, but I never had any problem with it anyway. They did install the thicker center stand bumper. At this point I have no idea if they were really supposed to replace the stand. I've read too many conflicting reports from other dealers. Anyone know the real truth?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #13324
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Built a phone/GPS bracket to mount to my Madstad screen. 3/4" pcv with a piece of 10-24 allthread through the middle. Attaches between the windscreen brackets. If if works well, I will replace the PVC with a piece of aluminum rod. Now if I could rotate the photo all would be well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #13325
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,813
Does one of you live in the SF Bay Area and has a paddock stand? I got a center stand today and need to mount it. Mounting instructions say as one of the first things: remove side stand.

Anybody in the area who could help? I'm in the South Bay and could bring bike, stand, and beer (if you so desire) ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #13326
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,279
2012 Tiger 800XC

Thank you everyone for all the input. Here it is...wifey is signed on with me.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #13327
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Not true. There is no direct connection between a footpeg and a tire. A scraping peg is not an indication that you are going beyond the contact patch. It is only an indication that you are scraping a peg. For example, with 400 pounds on the bike the suspension will be so compressed that the peg will drag relatively early in terms of lean angle. A 120 pound rider would have a lot more available lean angle before the pegs touched, and would be significantly closer to the edge of the tire.

The footpegs on the tiger are hinged. When they touch they pivot upward. At 185 pounds in riding gear, I am able to continue my lean and can feel them lift with no ill consequences. I've spent enough years at the track and have been on my ass enough times that I have a generally good assessment of limits, when they are being exceeded, and what the consequences are. I'll take a scraping footpeg any day over less contact patch and inferior street rubber (comparatively)

You lean it far enough, any hard part (ie. the peg mount, shift lever) that that touches down in between the direct line of the front and rear of a Tiger 800 (see title of thread, not talking about track bikes here) will act as a fulcrum and lift the tires when in the apex.

Anyway, Congrats on your new Tiger, browneye. I got the white one too. You're gonna love it. As I'm working this weekend, I've been out an hour before and an hour after work putting in break-in miles. I work graveyard shift so I'll eventually post pics on some sleepless night.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #13328
T
Yippee Ki Yay

After a few muddy off road jaunts I noticed the XC likes to throw crap on to the rear shock (and the general vicinity). Rather than opt for the rear tire hugger (don't really care for the look), I thought I'd remedy the problem with the "contraption" my 05 Tiger had- a little mudflap. So off to Lowes and $3.00 later and 15 minutes of work this is what I came up with.

I cut a piece of rubber stair tread cover (it's slightly heavier than truck inner tube material) and industrial Velcro to the airbox and back of the mudflap and done. It has stayed in place well on the road although I haven't given it the mud test yet. It should help keep most of the mud from reaching the shock since the flap on the 05 Tiger did a pretty good job of keeping the area clean....
Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #13329
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post

You lean it far enough, any hard part (ie. the peg mount, shift lever) that that touches down in between the direct line of the front and rear of a Tiger 800 (see title of thread, not talking about track bikes here) will act as a fulcrum and lift the tires when in the apex.
I'm talking about the Tiger 800. Go lift up on the foot peg of one. You'll see it pivots upward. Just like a track bike I never said I had touched down a mount or a shift lever, only the foot pegs. That's more than enough lean for the street. And since I'm speaking from experience I know it doesn't leverage tires off of the ground. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to host the 2 gig video I shot last summer on the bike down in the smokys or you could see for yourself.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #13330
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
After a few muddy off road jaunts I noticed the XC likes to throw crap on to the rear shock (and the general vicinity)... So off to Lowes and $3.00 later and 15 minutes of work this is what I came up with.

05 Tiger did a pretty good job of keeping the area clean....
I like that! I'm gonna copy tiger that one

BTW, didn't you have an orange 955? That was a good looking bike.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #13331
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
New bike for the Misses at some point

Ok, this past weekend my Wife and I were talking about her 06 BMW 650gs and the need at some point in getting a bigger/badder/better bike.
I'd LOVE to put her on a 950 like mine but she doesnt think that would be a good choice for her.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #13332
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
I like that! I'm gonna copy tiger that one

BTW, didn't you have an orange 955? That was a good looking bike.

Yep that was me. Traded 05 Tiger at 50k and still ran strong as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
Ok, this past weekend my Wife and I were talking about her 06 BMW 650gs and the need at some point in getting a bigger/badder/better bike.
I'd LOVE to put her on a 950 like mine but she doesnt think that would be a good choice for her.
If she's got long legs let her take a 800 Tiger for a romp....
Old 07-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #13333
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Yep that was me. Traded 05 Tiger at 50k and still ran strong as ever.

If she's got long legs let her take a 800 Tiger for a romp....
Well she doesn't really. 28ish... She's 5'5" tall, 115# so that wont help squish the suspension either.
Is there a lowering kit for the bike? There MUST be.

She likes the Triumph and the BMW 800 gs.
What are the pros and cons of either?
The Beamer is more $$$ I would assume.
She/we do ride off road (logging/fire roads) often so the XC would be a plus but not a must.

Whats the MPG on the Triumph.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #13334
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Does one of you live in the SF Bay Area and has a paddock stand? I got a center stand today and need to mount it. Mounting instructions say as one of the first things: remove side stand.

Anybody in the area who could help? I'm in the South Bay and could bring bike, stand, and beer (if you so desire) ...
If its anything like the HB centerstand, which the instructions said you also need to remove the centerstand, you don't really need to. One of the two screws remained in the sidestand so it was still held in place. I was just careful not to move the bike around too much with only one screw in it. Additionally, the install is pretty quick so you could just get someone to hold the bike for a minute while you replace the existing screw with the new one that allows fitment of the centerstand.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #13335
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,813
Thanks for the info - I don't think it's a super easy install, have heard bad things about it. Therefore I don't want to rely on this, but will still take a look whether it's possible without removing the side stand for too long.

Still looking for a paddock stand or something similar as this would make it much easier.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote