Oddometer: 4,719
Well, then.....um....don't buy one.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #77
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 615
I agree with Cakeeater. Most of whats considered the sport tour bike selection is a bit overkill. If they made a more middleweight version that would suit alot of us better.......wait......they did, and it didnt sell well enough in the USA.

Not to big

Not to heavy

No heat thrown off at the rider, with excellent aerodynamics

Not to cramped or nervous

55 MPG

Kinda the Acura mid size luxury model of the Honda line. Midway between a ST1100 and a Goldwing in the way it rides.

Think of it as a easy going more touring oriented , lighter and smaller alternative to a ST . Also zero maintenance except oil changes.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #78
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Please, share your IBA number with us. I'm dying here.
And the snotty tone here is because?
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #79
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
I was checking out KLR650s on Craig's list - I think that's my machine to park with the Rebel - when we get our furlough days back
You might want to check out DR650's as well. While similar in intent, the DR's are not quite as tall.. I've put thousands of miles on both on and off road and would say there capabilities are well matched. If the KLR felt tall, the DR might feel just right.

Back on topic: sport tourers are designed for going long distances, quickly, and in comfort while maintaining more of a grin-factor in the twisty bits than a full-up touring rig. If none of that appeals/applies to you, by all means shop the other 94% of the market. You don't win a ralley on speed tho, in fact excessive speed can hurt you. Ralley's are about long distance endurance which is why sport touring bikes are significantly over-represented in the results. You can (and I have) take a 250 on a thousand mile journey but it's at the upper edge of its design envelope. A sport touring bike, on the other hand, is just getting started right about then.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #80
Onyx B.
Pacific Coaster-east

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
I agree with Cakeeater. Most of whats considered the sport tour bike selection is a bit overkill. If they made a more middleweight version that would suit alot of us better.......wait......they did, and it didnt sell well enough in the USA.

Not to big

Not to heavy

55 MPG

Kinda the Acura mid size luxury model of the Honda line. Midway between a ST1100 and a Goldwing in the way it rides.

Think of it as a easy going more touring oriented , lighter and smaller alternative to a ST . Also zero maintenance except oil changes.
+1

1990 PC800
Onyx B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #81
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
I own a Moto Guzzi Norge 1200. It is slower than most (all) of the other Sport Touring bikes, but it is comfortable, works well at speed and does all I could want. With removable hard bags that become suitcases, this bike fits everything that I was looking for. Seat height was some of the factor when deciding, and between the Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki, none of them worked for me. Just sitting on them at the showroom told me they would not work for my short 29" legs.
I like the character of the V twin coupled with the upright riding position. Maybe someday I will ride a cruiser, maybe not. I don't want ultra fast. I am comfortable at 70-75mph if I am on the freeway. I am not looking to get tickets so having a bike that is enjoyable to ride at legal speeds works for me.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #82
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post

Not to big

Not to heavy

55 MPG

The top 4 on the list describes my R1200RT .

I think the big problem with the PC was lack of advertisement , as if it wasn`t a sport bike or a g-wing , honda didn`t spend the bucks. (you can blame all except HD) . But great looking scoot---- er ! (just kidding)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #83
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
I own a Moto Guzzi Norge 1200. It is slower than most (all) of the other Sport Touring bikes, but it is comfortable, works well at speed and does all I could want. With removable hard bags that become suitcases, this bike fits everything that I was looking for. Seat height was some of the factor when deciding, and between the Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki, none of them worked for me. Just sitting on them at the showroom told me they would not work for my short 29" legs.
I like the character of the V twin coupled with the upright riding position. Maybe someday I will ride a cruiser, maybe not. I don't want ultra fast. I am comfortable at 70-75mph if I am on the freeway. I am not looking to get tickets so having a bike that is enjoyable to ride at legal speeds works for me.
The Norge is drop-dead gorgeous too.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #84
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
My current ride is a Guzzi 1200 Sport, basically a naked Norge with different suspension. A little more sport, and less touring, but Norge bags bolt right up so it's more than capable. As you said, the character of the V-Twin more than makes up for any lack of absolute punch. I don't spend a lot of time at full throttle, so more power would be wasted anyway
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #85
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,145
A pair of Sport Tourers

His and Hers Sport Tourers

We have always felt that riding motor bikes is a sport.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #86
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
I tend to think of sport-touring more as a riding style than a type of bike. Stay off the freeway, ride briskly in the twisties, and put in 500 mile days minimum. I "built" my first ST before you could really buy one (except maybe an R90 or 100RS with Krauser bags). It was a Honda CB900F, with a special-order factory Sport Control Kit (lower bars and rear-sets), a Krauser hard-bag setup, and a Bagman tankbag. I even would put on a Windjammer in the winter, with a cut-down screen. I put almost 50K miles on that bike in 4 years and then bought a factory-built ST .... a K100RS with BMW bags. At the time, the balance of sportiness and distance capability was perfect for me. But as I have gotten older, the upright ergo's of an Adv type bike are better for me, and I also ride slower and don't need the speed-friendly riding position and wind protection. I think most VStroms and GS'es are ridden as sport-tourers. I mostly ride a VStrom now, and think I'll probably have an Adv type bike as my main ride as long as I keep riding.

I do see quite a few Concours and FJRs on the road though, usually during commute hours. Most of the RT's I see are black and white and ridden by guys with 3/4 helmets and short sleeved shirts in the summer, usually sitting by the side of the road and occasionally practicing tight U turns,

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #87
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Bingo!! We have a winner!

The most popular dog in the US is a labrador retreiver. They're big, sturdy, kinda slow at running (fast swimmers tho!!) and are amazingly easy going and mellow...after they're two years old. They are NOT sport-tourers.

When I ride my brother's ST, it seems a waste to run it below speeds that put me in peril of losing my license, and it's just not much fun to ride it at mostly legal speeds. Seems to me most ST bikes are a bridge too far...too big, too heavy, too hot to be sporty...top small, too cramped and too nervous to be long-distance two-up tourers. The F-111 of motorcycles.

Cakeeater

I don't disagree, but what is it that's caused the switch? Just the more responsive new ADV-type bikes? After all, most of us started with upright seating positions on UJMs or the like....why the rise of the ST bike in the first place, if fewer and fewer people see the point to them now? And why now? The 1100GS, Ducati Elefant, and 95-06 Triumph Tigers never set the world on fire....?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #88
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
We have always felt that riding motor bikes is a sport.
Sitting still and twisting a throttle is not a sport.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #89
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Sitting still and twisting a throttle is not a sport.

True.......but.......if the only real genuine type of "Sport" in tarmac motorcycling involves being crunched up like a circus monkey with your arms and wrists on fire, while your ass feels like you have been passed around the prison shower, and you neck is screaming like you got hit with a 2X4, then by all means you can have it on 600 mile days !

Yes, you can tour with a sport bike, but there is a better machine for touring distance riding with a sporty style........thats why they call them sport tourers.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #90
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

It's not about the kind of bike, Doesn't matter if its a Gixxer or a Gold Wing, riding on the public roads is not a sport any more than driving is.