Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #16
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
yeah, because everyone needs a dakar race bike to tour the world on.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe.../photo_14.html
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
So why the pretense? Why make it look like an off-roader? It's the two wheeled equivalent of a Honda CRV, which is basically a Civic with some off road styling. I get that they are popular and people want to project the "rugged" image, but in the end you are driving/riding a styling exercise.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
JoeWannaB OP
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
Exactly! Brings an old saying to mind about the poor carpenter who blames his tools.

I started this thread to hear from folks who have ridden or maybe have seen the NC700X in person but so far it seems that those individuals have not spoken up. Since I already have a very dirt capable DS bike and I don't have a lot of cash, I got excited when I saw this model from Honda as a possible replacement for my aging KLR 650 for making longish rides and for commuting back and forth to work. I would throw on some DS tires and fabricate some sort of bash plate but it would probably only see gravel roads and perhaps a jeep trail or two. It is 500lbs after all. From what I've read in reviews, I think it will fit the bill nicely for me but I was hoping to hear some first hand experiences from a trusted source. Thanks for your inputs so far.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWannaB View Post
Exactly! Brings an old saying to mind about the poor carpenter who blames his tools.
In the right hands any bike is capable of just about anything, that doesn't mean it isn't easier to do what you set out to do if you choose the best bike for the job. I'm just saddened to see Motorcycles going down the Crossover route that cars have gone down, strong looking bikes built on weak foundations, all mouth and no trousers. I guess it's a concession to the fact that people want the image, but don't use the functionality so why waste the money giving it to them
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #20
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
other than the little beak, I don't see much "off-road" styling going on. I do think it's a good looking bike, and would make a great little tourer, probably on par with a versys. I think these style of bikes are the new "standards". naked bikes just don't sell that well anymore, so the manufacturers have to dress them up somehow yet still attract a large audience.
if I get a chance to ride one, I'd give it a shot. for the price, it's a hell of a bike, especially if it has the typical honda fit and finish, and I'd bet the farm that more than one person will buy one and ride it around the world, while lots of gs's and ktm's sport knobbies and the most dirt they see is from someone's driveway.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,183
People go RTW on just about anything. Vespas, Goldwings, Harleys, R1's, you name it... and sure it's possible to go around the planet without practically leaving the tarmac. But personally I think an "ADV bike" should have some credibility also outside the paved road, cos that's where a lot of ADV riders will want to go to from time to time. This bike looks just about as capable there as a Bandit, for example.

Another thing is that it makes about the same power as a 1 cylinder 650cc, so its about 20hp down on other 650 twins in this category, and yet it's among the heaviest of them. Power is not so important in this class, but two-up fully loaded could still feel like... well, try that with a 20 year old 600cc Transalp. It has roughly the same output.

Other than that, I believe it is a very nice bike in many ways.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 01:26 PM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
People go RTW on just about anything. Vespas....
Yep

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting choices. I understand the perverse pleasure in deliberately choosing the wrong tool for the job and getting it done anyway. I notice that they wore all the right gear. I wonder if there is someone out there who decided to take a fully equipped ADV bike around the world, but chose to do it in shorts and flip-flops instead of all ATGATT. It's an equally valid choice.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
Mulewright
Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yep

I'm so sorry Brother .... but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this photo.......
Kinda like banana & spam sandwitches w/ blueberry jelly...... Might well be Your thing, but methinks we'll pass on that one......
Old 07-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #25
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulewright View Post
I'm so sorry Brother .... but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with this photo.......
Kinda like banana & spam sandwitches w/ blueberry jelly...... Might well be Your thing, but methinks we'll pass on that one......
They were competing in the Pharaons Rally, with Marc Coma (you may have heard of him). They finished with their sense of humor intact. You can do lot's of things on lots of bikes.

All this BS about one bike not being able to do X or Y is just the marketing crap that has been internalized over the years.

I am not saying they were are fast or did it as easy as a KTM450 but they did it. 30 years ago Harleys did all kinds of stuff, before everyone was niche' marketed to death.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
People go on and on about this Adventure bike ideal. The Vstrom was not an adventure bike but some conversions helped, but the whole way you sit on the first edition just wasn't adventure bike...but people liked them and made them work. Out of the box this is way more adventure bike than the old stroms. Now the new stroms are a different story and have basicly morphed into the bike the lovers of stroms wanted and now they have my attention....though putting them out without a substantial protection device to the undercarriage is grossly negligent.

This Honda will be the cats meow after a few adaptations. Honda is simply stupid and timid after their first awful try...the NSX. And they blame the American public. This one will fly...if our dealers get off their ass and order them.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Out of the box this is way more adventure bike than the old stroms. Now the new stroms are a different story and have basicly morphed into the bike the lovers of stroms wanted and now they have my attention....though putting them out without a substantial protection device to the undercarriage is grossly negligent.
You really think the new gen strom is that much better as an adv bike than the old strom? If you buy your new bike and never touch it maybe. But honestly, the new strom is not ground breaker in comparison to the old one,,,,,,, especially once the modding starts.

Most stroms never see anything rougher than a nicely maintained dirt road to the lack of a skid plate is no biggie in my eyes. If one wantes to do more, the aftermarket can step in easily. The only thing I think is grossly negligent on the strom is that the Cg is too high. I bought mine and discovered I didn't much like it {after hitting a deer} and when I fixed it, I tried to give it to my wife and I would get a KTM. Welp, she hated it. Too much weight up too high with too high a seat hieght and for what, like 5-6 inches of ground clearence at most? Bad design Suzuki.

Shame too because Suzuki could have addressed a few things and it would have really made a night and day difference without shooting the cost through the roof. It's a shame the big four Japanese manufacturers are unwilling to build an alternative to the KTM Adventure, the GS800 or the Tiger 800.

I'm looking real hard at the Honda for my wife. Everything I have read states the bike has a low seat height and center of gravity and if so, this might be the only modern bike other than a BMW single that might replace my wife's Ascot. Shame ain't, a 30 year old bike still being one of the best choices out there for some.

Matter of fact, if the Ascot had fuel injection and a larger tank, it would be the best option for my wife and to be honest,,,, I've been thinking real hard about getting the tank modded to hold another gallon or two even though it would probably cost as much as the initial purchase price.

Quote:
This Honda will be the cats meow after a few adaptations. Honda is simply stupid and timid after their first awful try...the NSX. And they blame the American public. This one will fly...if our dealers get off their ass and order them.
+1 Agree with you 100% on the above.

Me, it looks like I will be looking real hard at a Yammy Tenere or Triumph Explorer to replace my FJR. Now that I've modded the hell outta my DL I'm fairly happy with it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, still hate the high Cg though. Especially after rasing it nearly 2 inches. No need for a 12K$, pretty new bike when all you are gonna do with it is tour and play in the dirt a bit.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #28
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Out of the box this is way more adventure bike than the old stroms. Now the new stroms are a different story and have basicly morphed into the bike the lovers of stroms wanted and now they have my attention....though putting them out without a substantial protection device to the undercarriage is grossly negligent.
"Out of the box this is way more adventure bike than the old stroms" - Would you care to explain, why that is so? (And also is it this way on paper only, or has someone already had the chance to prove it, Im asking because it is a new model for 2012?)

Ive had 3 Wee-Stroms, in fact I still own a 2007 and 2012, and though the new one is probably the best all-round bike that Ive owned, I fail to see, how it is so much better as an ADV bike than the old one? Suspension set-up has in fact taken a big step forward, but other than that, the differences are really quite small.. which I think is also a good thing in the end, because the more radical changes theyd make to an already proven overlander, the higher the possibility, that theyd get something wrong. It has improved a little here and there, yes, but if I were to choose a bike to go RTW for example (and keeping in mind youre likely to farkle them both before you go) Id say theyre pretty much equal. Id probably take the older one for that purpose, because I could get it cheaper.

BTW, the Wee-Strom (or Vee-Strom) has never had any proper engine protection from the factory, though some models in some areas have been fitted with crashbars and/or bashplates, and sold under some different name, like DL650X / Adventure or something. The Vees plastic bugspoiler doesnt really count. But the NC700X (or XL700 Transalp, or XL1000 Varadero, or many other similar street-oriented "adventure bikes" for that matter) do not have such item as standard either.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 12:18 PM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I guess I was mainly considering the riding position. More upright and less pocket rocket.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
Spencer54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I've had a sit on one at Honda Chiswick when I was picking up spares for the Africa Twin.
Seems really well put together bike, just felt right really.

For me the the plus point of this bike is that I could see it making a superb DS bike with a few mods.
The fact that it already has a range 250+ miles on a 14 litre tank appeals to me.
I was thinking along the lines of an extra fuel tank in the compartment that currently is used as helmet storage under the fake tank. Then how far you'd get would be superb on one fueling.

Front end/wheels off a pukka offroad bike and a decent rear shock - then your done.

Screen on the bike was useless really, its the size of a credit card, but thats not hard to alter and there's already some touring screens on the market.

My opinion is that these will get modded and make a decent long range bike.

At 5.800 OTR in the UK thats a decent price and leaves scope to put on whatever you like.
I got offered a good PX for the Africa Twin, but that's just too good a bike to let go.
Spencer54 is offline   Reply With Quote