Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
lift rear wheel, put in gear, and clunk!

1989 r100gs

changed out the tranny, rear-diff, and motor oils today.
when i got done, i wanted to run it a bit to settle everything to see if i needed a top-off.
I put the bike in 1st gear on the center stand, leaned on the bars to raise the rear wheel, and let the clutch out. it made a strange clunk-clunk-clunk noise as the rear wheel went around.

so i pulled the clutch in, and put it in neutral. while in neutral, and idling with clutch lever pulled in, it sounded fine, but when i released the clutch, (still in neutral) it didn't sound so smooth, but sounded like something was rattling around... not loose rattling around, but like the pilot bearing in a tranny in a car with high mileage.

anyway, i was starting to panic, but i got on the bike and rode it down the street and back. NO NOISE NO CLUNK!

what's going on?????????

ps. ther's a little rubber cover on the clutch shaft sticking out the back of the tranny. is it just a dust/h2o protector or does it actually hold in tranny fluid. i ask because it was a tad bit gooey and if it serves as a seal, i wanna get it replaced before i lose all my gear oil.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
Patrick S.
internet makes you stupid

Oddometer: 53
Well, I've never owned a shaft-drive, BUT -- I'm guessing having the rear wheel off the ground either introduced some slop into the drivetrain or put one of the u-joints at an angle it didn't like; and the noise(s) stemmed from that. Same thing happens with a chain, it'll be too loose with the wheel off the ground and it'll flop around. I've always been told not to run a bike in gear while on the centerstand.

If it doesn't make the noise while you're actually riding, I don't think it's a problem.
Patrick S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S.
Well, I've never owned a shaft-drive, BUT -- I'm guessing having the rear wheel off the ground either introduced some slop into the drivetrain or put one of the u-joints at an angle it didn't like; and the noise(s) stemmed from that. Same thing happens with a chain, it'll be too loose with the wheel off the ground and it'll flop around. I've always been told not to run a bike in gear while on the centerstand.

If it doesn't make the noise while you're actually riding, I don't think it's a problem.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

thanks, though that's encouraging, it brings up another question:
my rear shock is adjustable and supposedly set on the lowest setting as far as ride height. does this mean if i raise it a few inches this is gonna start to tear up my drive shaft?

also... whattya think of the clutch boot?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
thanks, though that's encouraging, it brings up another question:
my rear shock is adjustable and supposedly set on the lowest setting as far as ride height. does this mean if i raise it a few inches this is gonna start to tear up my drive shaft?

also... whattya think of the clutch boot?

I don't think it's your U joints.. The slots in your tranny where the clutch dogs engage when in gear, are longer then the dogs themselves. So when the tranny is not under a load, is allows the dogs to slap back and forth in their slots causing that noise. It is not good for the tranny... You also have lash in the final drive that, again, when not under load is allowed to slap back and forth, and again it is not good for it..

Your suspension will always sag, so adjusting the preload will not affect your ujoints, they are under a little bit of stress when just haning from the suspension, but not enought to really do more than induse a bit more vibration..
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

thanks Gramps, that's good to hear. So i guess i can lift my bikes butt end by an inch or so this weekend.

Still nobody knows about the little rubber boot on the back end of the tranny where the clutch lever moves in/out?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
that rubber thing covers the end of the clutch throw-out rod, which runs in a bearing of some sort on the end there and that bearing keeps most of the oil from getting through; that rubber boot is more to keep the dust from getting in there than to keep oil from getting out. If it's in good shape, don't worry about it. If it's leaking a little oil out onto the back of the tranny, get a new one. But you're not gonna lose all your oil out that hole, it's too high up and not under any real pressure.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

cool.
thanks much.

So, here's my list so far of things to replace:

1) speedo cable rubber boot (dry and cracked)
2) rubber boot on clutch throw-out rod

The d-shaft joints rubber boots were replaced by previous owner a couple years ago, so they're ok for now.

Anything else I should inspect and replace on this new (to me) bike?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #9
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,776
electric stuff

On my new to me GSPD I found out the hard way that I needed to replace the spark plug wires and the coil. Chek the wires for wear as even small perforations could be a problem. Also check the coil for hairline cracks. IF there are cracks, no matter how small, replace the coil with one from motoelektric or you'll end up stranded in the pouring rain...

...like me.
elmoreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
datchew OP
Don't buy from Brad

will do.
again, thx.