User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #16
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Ver well done review.

The Guzzi was on my final short list but ... decided to play safe with SuperT as peace of mind during long trips... especially the dream trip to Alaska. Also the left knee issue around here in Austin.... it can be hot!
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #17
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
One review mentioned the heat off the left cylinder was unbearable have you noticed this?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #18
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post
One review mentioned the heat off the left cylinder was unbearable have you noticed this?
Heat on any bike is entirely owner dependent/subjective

I'm in Houston - wearing proper gear I don't notice the left hand heat. Were short boots and jeans you notice it's warmer. but to me not an issue and I've ridded in 100deg. Did a 98deg blast back from Ft. worth a few weeks ago also without issue

1800miles and loving it so far
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Heat on any bike is entirely owner dependent/subjective

it's almost comical they notice the left due to a few mm closer proximity due to the crankpin offset.

when it's warm enough to notice engine heat, you're probably at a stop and would feel it wafting from the whole engine in front of you.

I feel the heat up there at slower speeds, but it's the same as on so many other bikes, and nothing to complain about
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 500
Thanks for the info leafman
The Seattle Moto Guzzi dealer has a new, leftover 2009 Stelvio that I'm thinking of buying.
Can you list the link to your 2009 review? Thanks!

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc56 View Post

Thanks for the question. From my review-

In hot weather, yes, you can feel heat from the left side. This is similar to the heat you will feel from both cylinders of a BMW in similar conditions. Fuel injection tweaking will greatly help this issue but, for most riding, it is not a big thing. Hey, when the day is hot, everything is hot.

leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
Thanks for the info leafman
The Seattle Moto Guzzi dealer has a new, leftover 2009 Stelvio that I'm thinking of buying.
Can you list the link to your 2009 review? Thanks!

Thank you too. I found that original thread from 3+ years ago. You will see the similarity with my current assessment.

Look here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...eafman+stelvio

Also, I found another thread started by someone with their own assessment on the '09 model.

Look here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...eafman+stelvio

leafman60 screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 05:47 PM
Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post

In hot weather, yes, you can feel heat from the left side. This is similar to the heat you will feel from both cylinders of a BMW in similar conditions. Fuel injection tweaking will greatly help this issue but, for most riding, it is not a big thing. Hey, when the day is hot, everything is hot.

Leaf,

Not sure if the new 8V motor is similar to the "old" 4V motor in this respect, but on my '08 Norge I noticed a fairly significant reduction in radiated heat when running the prescribed 10W60 full synthetic oil vs. lighter weight and/or blended oils. Does the NTX owner's manual state 60W full synth???

And no, I don't mean to start an oil threadjack....just adding my experience re. big Guzzi twins and heat.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, it comes with 10-60 synthetic and that's what I will use.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
silvergoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Stelvio comments

Leafman60, you have done a great job reviewing the 2012 stelvio. I recently bought a 2009 Stelvio and I can say from my experiences that it is a greatly overlooked machine.

Buying my 2009 from Moto International in Seattle. I rode back home to Ft Smith,AR. I rode almost 2200 miles through all types of weather (March 30- April 3) and the bike handled the gusting winds and rain with out a care. I look forward to the day I buy the next Stelvio, a NTX.

Again, Leafman 60, very good write up.
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
silvergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Leaf, first and foremost, congrats on the new NTX. It is the one bike that I would give my Multistrada up for, and would love to recreate my '09 Stelvio (Guzzitech modded) in this new package. I missed on the one at my local dealer (sold to Asia) but I'm fairly certain they could source another. A brilliant re-design, I just love the improvements that they made.

edit: the only thing i don't like about the motorcycle is its weight....spend time in/on/around a MTS and you'll know what i mean.

Great write-up, thanks for sharing.

oalvarez screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 07:58 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #27
uzidzit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Stella is coming home

i am picking mine (orange) up on sat.
I read the factory service manuals for the Explorer, Goose, Caponord, Tenere, 990, 1200 touring s.
And have test rode all of them, the explorer,990, and tenere on an extended ride.

This is the best choice for me and by far the easiest to maintain at home of the lot, and was the most bike for the dollar, the explorer was my second choice (I would have picked it maybe if the money was closer) but it was not $4.5k better, And our dealer for Trumpets in kville is just ok. a little suspension work and it should need nothing else but my Kristas moved off the strom onto it. I will keep you updated. Thanks for the write up I am glad someone else out there thinks it is a pretty fine machine.

Ps there is One more for sale Lava black at riders hill
uzidzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Really getting a kick out of mine. The Mistral can just gives me bigger smiles. One thing that had been understated so far is the ride of this machine. Admittedly I have yet to hit the dirt and it is not really my intention but, on the highway, it shines. Get your revs and your speed up a bit and it just starts acting like Seabiscuit. Just wants to open that stride. And after having a rock of a seat under me with my F800GS, this one puts me in the lap of luxury. It's a given that it's kind of a big, ugly sucker for a seat but, hey. You don't see it when your sitting on it. Then there's that rock steady ride. I've had the crap knocked out of me by crosswinds on both a KLR and an F8 but, the other day I got into some pretty heavy duty stuff here and the MG barely budged. Ya gotta love it!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #29
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post

In hot weather, yes, you can feel heat from the left side. This is similar to the heat you will feel from both cylinders of a BMW in similar conditions.
Fuel injection tweaking will greatly help this issue but, for most riding, it is not a big thing.
disagree.

not a bike you just tweak the EFI on - quite a few threads on it in other forums.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
disagree.

not a bike you just tweak the EFI on - quite a few threads on it in other forums.

It's not something you do in your garage but there are sources for it. Todd on west coast and at least another guy in Virginia. I know more than one Guzzi owner who had his ECU flashed. Their bikes ran better and produced significantly less engine heat.

Mine is not particularly hot-running but I'm having the re-flash done largely because I am changing exhaust and intake. We will see. I will report back.