Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEFLOW
I am failing to understand....a Used Klr or DR or DRZ or Xr...or XT or..or ..orcan be had for about 3K easy....heck or even a supersherpa....what is the advantage of a Ruckus then?...serious...I'm not stirring shit....just trying to follow the thought process or some of YFFs.....
Ruckus, Stella, Vespa, Kymco, Ditech, all are a very different kind of ride from the bikes you mention, yet all are different from each other too. Lots of unique-ness in this little corner of the two wheel universe. Lots of character too.

To quote a line from the rugged individualists I work with every day, "if you have to ask..."

You won't know until you ride one. Either it will talk to you or it won't. Chances are if at any point in your youth you did some time on a moped, mini-bike, or 2-stroke small-mid bore dirt bike you will be done for if you ride a scooter any appreciable distance, especially a 2-stroke scooter. With gears. And an expansion chamber

Good luck!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #17
MuleTrain OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
It's a Zen thing.

Seriously. Get on a slower bike for a while, and the whole world becomes unblurred.

Lots of reasons but that one comes to mind first.
I agree; I have a 1150gs Adventure and went for a long ride with some buddies with bikes from GSXR-1000, R6, Hyabusa's, etc and a guy on a Sherpa 250....we were talking how much fun it would be if we all had 250 dual purpose bikes....wouldn't need to be riding at the speed of stink to be having fun. And how many people can boast of flat out on the highway without the risk of getting thrown in the slammer!

A Ruckus may not be for me if the speed is limited to 40mph.....any suggestions would be appreciated for a different, cost effective model as I would rather have a 'scooter' then a dual purpose bike.

Thank you,

Chris
MuleTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,813
I like the Ruckus, it is a neat looking little scooter but the four stroke is tough to modify. I went for a Yamaha Zuma because it is a two stroke and much easier to mod if you want to.

I weigh 200 lbs and it will go 40 on flat ground and accellerates better than I thought it would.
I bought a new one and paid less than $2100 out the door with tax and everything.
I have been commuting every day to work on surface streets with 35 mph speed limits, haven't been run over yet and it corners awesome.

If you want 40 mph or more I would think about a two stroke or a bigger four stroke scooter.

When I get some time this winter it will be Stage I time, pipe,variator and a few other things.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:05 PM   #19
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
I went for a Yamaha Zuma because it is a two stroke and much easier to mod if you want to.
Why do you hate the environment?

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #20
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstewart77

A Ruckus may not be for me if the speed is limited to 40mph.....any suggestions would be appreciated for a different, cost effective model as I would rather have a 'scooter' then a dual purpose bike.

Thank you,

Chris
If you want a faster scooter you will need a bigger engine. Most 50cc scooters, even with mods, are not going to carry you at legal state route/highway speeds. If you want classic style and a manual transmission you can look at the Vespa/Stella and Bajaj scooters. I have a Stella that will maintain 65 mph without a problem, 60 mph uphill. So it is more than capable of the 55-60 mph required to safely travel most state routes without wringing it's neck.

If you want a more modern scooter with an auto trans you'll be looking at the larger displacement Chinese scooters on the inexpensive end, and the 250-650 cc Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis on the expensive end. Truth be told, if I wanted a modern scooter the Suzuki Burgman 400 would be the ideal choice IMO. Will go well in excess of the speed limit and can still obtain 60 mpg. The Burgman 650 loses lots of points because of comparatively poor mileage.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #21
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter von hexhead
Why do you hate the environment?
Still legal