Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #61
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post

They are sport touring bikes. They will have similarities.
There is a distinct difference between similarities and "Desgin via Xerox". IMO Triumph with this is far more "Design via Xerox" than similarities. I applaud any manufacturer that can realize the "oh hey people want this lets make it" bits, but at the same time when at first blush from most angles your bike looks near identical to another MFGs, you have serious serious wannabe/me too! issues. Ride your own ride, further design your own F'ing bike.
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #62
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
There is a distinct difference between similarities and "Desgin via Xerox". IMO Triumph with this is far more "Design via Xerox" than similarities. I applaud any manufacturer that can realize the "oh hey people want this lets make it" bits, but at the same time when at first blush from most angles your bike looks near identical to another MFGs, you have serious serious wannabe/me too! issues. Ride your own ride, further design your own F'ing bike.
I don't see it. Other than the colour and the type of bike (sport touring) I don't see any other similarites.
The wheels, the seat, the tank, the windshield and the bags are in the same spot and my question would be: Where else would you want Triumph to put them?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #63
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #64
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Imitation is the highest form of flattery they say, Triumph did a good job with this one I would buy it before I would buy the BMW
joef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #65
charliebrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I can see the similarities between the new Trophy and RT, but frankly, I don't care, and I OWN an '09 RT. People want to criticize Triumph for developing another copy/clone of BMW, but I think it's more of addressing the needs of that particular motorcycle niche. A dual sport from Honda will look similar to a dual sport from Suzuki. A sport bike from Kawasaki will look like a sport bike from pretty much every other manufacturer (ok, maybe not Ducati). This is not a bad thing, it's just what works.

I previously owned a BMW K1200GT but traded it in on my RT, but not until after looking long and hard at the offerings from Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki. The RT had the best ergonomics of them all, BY FAR. And while I loved the inline 4 of the GT, comfort, long distance ride-ability, and leg room of the RT trumped the engine of the GT, because without the better ergonomics, the bike wouldn't get ridden.

When I was picking up my RT, i casually mentioned to the salesman that if BMW offered the GT engine in the RT frame, I would be first in line. He mentioned that he had heard that from several people that were moving over from the GT to the RT. So BMW releases the K16 and Triumph announces the Trophy. Apparently Triumph was eavesdropping.

I certainly don't have the sales numbers to back this up, but from what I understand, the RT is a terrific seller for BMW. Triumph could do a lot worse than targeting those buyers. As for me, I have been anticipating the Trophy ever since it was rumored back in the end of 2010 and am looking forward to the motorcycle shows this winter where I can see one in person. I think Triumph might have nailed another one.
charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #66
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
How completely unimaginative of a design.
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #67
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Really?

Rant ON!

Nothing personal, but... DAMN! This is a prime example of what I love to hate about forums.... I've been here for over 6 years and only have 50ish posts for a reason....

Triumph re-enters the sport touring arena after seeing what the successful brands are doing, takes the common pieces and approaches that have proven to work, then does what it can to personalize it and the haters come out of the woodwork.

No single bike is perfect for the masses right out of the box; not one. Sorry all you BMW studs, this applies to you too....

Every single one of us personalize our machines regardless of the effort the manufacturer puts into making it as well rounded as possible. I dare say there's not one of us who've added or changed at least one thing on our machines throughout our riding history's - that's what's so great about riding; we make the machine fit our needs/wants/desires so we can enjoy the ride longer and more frequently.

I won't bore you so called "experts" on the theory of SportTouring with my personal thoughts on this new machine, but will certainly say this:

Don't like the new Trophy? Spare the rest of us who've been waiting on Triumph to get back into the game your attitudes and BS dribble, and go over to the Harley bashing thread and bag on pirates to show your hatred for all that's not what you want it to be. I'll wait for you there since I'm a Triumph and Harley guy so we can poke fun at the wanna be's.

Rant OFF!

Move along ladies and gentlemen, there's nothing to see here. Back to your regularly scheduled programs.....
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #68
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herold View Post
Rant ON!

Nothing personal, but... DAMN! This is a prime example of what I love to hate about forums.... I've been here for over 6 years and only have 50ish posts for a reason....

Triumph re-enters the sport touring arena after seeing what the successful brands are doing, takes the common pieces and approaches that have proven to work, then does what it can to personalize it and the haters come out of the woodwork.

No single bike is perfect for the masses right out of the box; not one. Sorry all you BMW studs, this applies to you too....

Every single one of us personalize our machines regardless of the effort the manufacturer puts into making it as well rounded as possible. I dare say there's not one of us who've added or changed at least one thing on our machines throughout our riding history's - that's what's so great about riding; we make the machine fit our needs/wants/desires so we can enjoy the ride longer and more frequently.

I won't bore you so called "experts" on the theory of SportTouring with my personal thoughts on this new machine, but will certainly say this:

Don't like the new Trophy? Spare the rest of us who've been waiting on Triumph to get back into the game your attitudes and BS dribble, and go over to the Harley bashing thread and bag on pirates to show your hatred for all that's not what you want it to be. I'll wait for you there since I'm a Triumph and Harley guy so we can poke fun at the wanna be's.

Rant OFF!

Move along ladies and gentlemen, there's nothing to see here. Back to your regularly scheduled programs.....
You're right, we should all collectively have one opinion, preferably yours.
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #69
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
You're right, we should all collectively have one opinion, preferably yours.
Not at all, but I can see where you're coming from and appriciate the fact you're entitled to express yourself.

But to dog out other peoples choice in a ride or what they personlly find appealing is quite contrary to the "community" feel of this forum - matter of fact, you can meet me over at IM so we can chat this up and square it away without further hijacking this thread. I'll look forward to it.
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #70
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herold View Post
But to dog out other peoples choice in a ride or what they personlly find appealing is quite contrary to the "community" feel of this forum - matter of fact, you can meet me over at IM so we can chat this up and square it away without further hijacking this thread. I'll look forward to it.
Actually, it's exactly what this forum is all about

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #71
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
the new 2013 trophy

dear forum

i think mr herold is correct . who cares if it resembles the bmw rt . there are still noticeable design differences between the bmw rt and the trophy . i have not ridden either bike ( yet ) but from the specs and pictures i would choose the trophy over the bmw . i am quite disappointed that the trophy does not come in black . come to think of it -- neither does the bmw rt . triumph should offer a special order black paint job for the 2013 trophy for a reasonable price . i will pay for this option . ( are you reading this triumph ? ) . thanks .
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #72
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
the new triumph trophy will be in usa dealer showrooms in january as a 2013 model touring bike . i have been anxiously waiting for the new triumph trophy and the pictures on the trophy website look great . i like the styling more than the honda st and the bmw k1600gt or bmw r whatever . but i am very disappointed that the new 2013 trophy will only come in silver or blue -- not an all black version . the silver and blue pics of the 2013 trophy are beautiful -- even though the bike weighs a ton . i expect a major touring bike to be super heavy . i don't want to be blown off the freeway by the first mack truck that passes by . this is not a motorcycle designed to zip around your local neighborhood or run down to kroger for some milk -- that's what the triumph bonneville is for . the trophy is made to cruise across country on mostly paved roads for a thousand miles with an occasional stop at the holiday inn . but of all companies i expected triumph to build a black version of their new major tourer . this really is a deal breaker for me . triumph does not make one single model in their entire line up that does not include an all black version -- until the new 2013 trophy comes out . what are they thinking ? is it because the bmw k1600gt is also silver or blue ? i am a black bike kind of guy . it mystifies me why people even consider owning silver or blue motorcycles . ( my apologies if your ride is silver or blue ) . there are presently no plans to build an all black 2013 triumph trophy . ( this bad news i got from a triumph rep ) . if they put an all black 2013 trophy on the showroom floor next to their lovely blue version and impressive silver version -- the dealers would sell four black ones for every single silver or blue model . please triumph you have a great new tour bike here -- don't screw up the sales potential by making it a blatant copy of bmw color schemes ( which suck btw ) . thank you for listening .... but i doubt my criticism will result in triumph actually building a new all black 2013 triumph trophy .
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
dear forum

i think mr herold is correct . who cares if it resembles the bmw rt . there are still noticeable design differences between the bmw rt and the trophy . i have not ridden either bike ( yet ) but from the specs and pictures i would choose the trophy over the bmw . i am quite disappointed that the trophy does not come in black . come to think of it -- neither does the bmw rt . triumph should offer a special order black paint job for the 2013 trophy for a reasonable price . i will pay for this option . ( are you reading this triumph ? ) . thanks .

So, black then, eh?

Ok.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #73
Worroll OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
I think people don't realize how easy it is to change the color of a motorcycle.

Remove plastics and tank on Sunday afternoon.
Drop plastics off at paint shop on Monday morning.
Pick up plastics throughout the week.
Reinstall plastics Saturday morning.
Ride bike Saturday afternoon.

What they should do is offer a primed only option, you pick it up and have it painted whatever you want.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #74
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
What they should do is offer a primed only option, you pick it up and have it painted whatever you want.
Given the taste of the vast majority of the American public, resale would drop by exactly the cost of repainting the bike.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #75
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by njd View Post
How completely unimaginative of a design.
How did you feel about Victory's design of the Vision?

Most folks thought it was too radical, too "out there", unconventional.

So, would you rather have a variation on your vanilla ice cream, or tutti fruitti?