ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #4186
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Anybody else seen this?

When hotter than about 90f, my 600 screen will continue to display but become unresponsive to touching the screen. Which is the main input method, of course. The power button still works. Pulling the battery doesn't help. If I put the unit somewhere cool, it will function normally when it cools about to the temperature of an air conditioned room.

When placed in the cradle on the bike, the unit does not start up on the map page when powering up, so it is locked to the "home" page with the icons until cooled down. For our latest trip in the summer heat, this made it a very expensive and useless clock and we could not rely on it for navigation.
A friend's Montana is doing that a lot, even while moving but mine has only done it once, sitting in the sun for 1/2 an hour. I think it might be the screen protector causing distortion in the display layer, when the protector gets hot.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #4187
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,013
I been riding the last several days with the nephew on the back. We have seen 95F at times (BMW outside temp display) with no problems with either the Montana or PN40. Yes I have the screen protector that came with the rugged mount installed.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #4188
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I been riding the last several days with the nephew on the back. We have seen 95F at times (BMW outside temp display) with no problems with either the Montana or PN40. Yes I have the screen protector that came with the rugged mount installed.
The times I've seen the issue are when the unit's powered on, in full sun, but the bike's not moving. Sometimes when I stop for gas, and the map screen is displayed, I come back to the bike and a point is selected on the map as if I'd put my finger on it.

But I had not touched it.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 08:00 PM
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #4189
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Hi guys...

Been riding with the Zumo 450 and Montana 650 side by side. Zumo ....Montana, ahem...so far so good but I don't like the gray/brown background..difficutl to see roads upon it..only when zooming in does the background go white where I can see may roads differently. Could not change the background, seems to be set at default.?

What I don't like is when getting an address which it gives me but then it asks whether I want "shorter distance" or "shorter time". I want to do away with these questions. Just get me there without having to ask so many questions.

Any remedies for this Gurus...Thank you..
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #4190
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Hi guys...

Been riding with the Zumo 450 and Montana 650 side by side. Zumo ....Montana, ahem...so far so good but I don't like the gray/brown background..difficutl to see roads upon it..only when zooming in does the background go white where I can see may roads differently. Could not change the background, seems to be set at default.?

What I don't like is when getting an address which it gives me but then it asks whether I want "shorter distance" or "shorter time". I want to do away with these questions. Just get me there without having to ask so many questions.

Any remedies for this Gurus...Thank you..
Grey/Brown shading? Sounds like you have terrain shading enabled on your map. Best to turn that off. Go to Setup/Map/Advanced and switch it off, instead of "Auto" which is probably your current setting.

And your navigation question, go to Setup/Routing and change Calculation Method to either Minimize Time or Minimize Distance and you won't be prompted 'no mo'.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #4191
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Thanks Embeedee....made the changes and will try them tomorrow. You guys Rock. It was 103 F today and I am sure you're basking in cool weather up there?

Cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #4192
TowPro
Getting there

I have several "loops" stored on my Montana as routes. the other day My buddy and I rode up to the middle of one of these loops, and wanted to go the opposite direction around this 100 mile loop.
The montana has no problems starting in the middle of a loop, but how do I get the montana to reverse the direction of the route?
Old 07-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #4193
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Anyone having track issues of late? I recently did a trip out to Michigan from Pennsylvania by way of Canada. The first four days I had no issues showing my daily tracks on the unit. The fifth day when I went to track manager and tried to show that day's track on the unit. Nothing happened. I could pick the track but the next menu would not take any input. I figured it was probably because it was just a really long track and navigated home without it.

Well now I'm setting off Thursday for a rather lengthy adventure and made a route in Basecamp. I converted that to a track so I could have both on screen at the same time. (so I could be sure the routing didn't screw up from what I did on Basecamp) Well, I still can't get the track to show. It was a little over 5000 points so I halved it and still no joy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #4194
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
I have several "loops" stored on my Montana as routes. the other day My buddy and I rode up to the middle of one of these loops, and wanted to go the opposite direction around this 100 mile loop.
The montana has no problems starting in the middle of a loop, but how do I get the montana to reverse the direction of the route?
Remember, you can only "Edit" Along-road Routes that were created on the Montana using the Route Planner. Reversing the Route is an edit function. When you select the Route in Route Planner, if there are no edit options, the route was not created on the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #4195
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
New one

I got my new Montana 650 yesterday afternoon, it was here when I got home from work. Charged it up and tried to load the DVD of C N. My connection speed was to slow, and I was having trouble so took it to a computer guy. Even with his high speed internet it took almost an hour to load and get all the updates. Wow a lot to learn but am gaining, I guess. I programed it to an address three miles away, true to all the other Garmin GPS it missed it by three tenths of a mile. I had hoped Garmin had changed it as I have delivery drivers that always have trouble as Garmin turns them the wrong direction at the intersection. I had taken a picture of my house just playing with the camera. I used the picture as a location and it brought me back to the spot I had taken the picture, so maybe there is some hope. This is going to be interesting, for sure to learn all it has to offer.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #4196
wtiger
Submariner

Oddometer: 144
montana doesnt like the new chatterbox slim.

I was hoping to mount the chatterbox on the handlebars, on the opposite side of the bars from the gps, all nice and snug, dialed in and ergonomic... and on my test ride i got no signal for the gps... turn off the chatterbox... four bars of signal.
so, fyi, and if anyone has any pointers. that would be cool.
wtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #4197
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Remember, you can only "Edit" Along-road Routes that were created on the Montana using the Route Planner. Reversing the Route is an edit function. When you select the Route in Route Planner, if there are no edit options, the route was not created on the Montana.

Cheers,

Sorry Dan, that isn't quite accurate. If you create a route in BaseCamp in any activity mode, but change the route activity to direct before sending it to the Montana, it will be editable and reversable.

However, that route will still be subject to the differences between how BC autoroutes and the Montana autoroutes.....this has been driving me crazy!

In spite of everything I have learned here, I still can't predict with any accuracy when the Montana is going to do something weird with my carefully edited BC route. Many times it does exactly what I think it should, sometimes it does something nonsensical from my point of view.

Oh well, it's still a great moto GPS.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #4198
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Sorry Dan, that isn't quite accurate. If you create a route in BaseCamp in any activity mode, but change the route activity to direct before sending it to the Montana, it will be editable and reversable.

However, that route will still be subject to the differences between how BC autoroutes and the Montana autoroutes.....this has been driving me crazy!

In spite of everything I have learned here, I still can't predict with any accuracy when the Montana is going to do something weird with my carefully edited BC route. Many times it does exactly what I think it should, sometimes it does something nonsensical from my point of view.

Oh well, it's still a great moto GPS.

I been happy with Montana/BAsecamp as far as I create a route, send it to montana and the montana routes the same way.

but if having the ability to reverse routes means giving this up, I will just keep riding clockwise
Old 07-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #4199
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
I been happy with Montana/BAsecamp as far as I create a route, send it to montana and the montana routes the same way.

but if having the ability to reverse routes means giving this up, I will just keep riding clockwise
I'm not sure it has anything to do with the procedure of changing the activity to Direct in order to get the Montana to see it as editable. The only thing I know for sure is that if I leave it as direct on the Montana, it always works.

However, I didn't spend $75 on CNNA 2012 just so I could do that....I LIKE autorouting.........when it works.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #4200
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Sorry Dan, that isn't quite accurate. If you create a route in BaseCamp in any activity mode, but change the route activity to direct before sending it to the Montana, it will be editable and reversable. ....
I create all my DualSport routes in Mapsource (but I'm trying to switch to BC for the future) and they are intended to be used in Direct mode as there's only about 80% of the roads we use that are on CNNA.

Just as a test I tried some on the Montana and set them to "Motorcycle" Activity (i.e. follow road navigation) as they had less than 50 waypoints. Obviously they didn't go across the "roadless streches", but when I tried Route Manager they were both Editable and Reversible.

Don't think we have the full story yet about Reversing Routes.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote