Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #406
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
They loved it 2up, and tested it as the fatest and best-braked of the big ADV tourers.

But, like most, they found the I4 engine in an ADV chassis a bit, well, odd.
Is there a place where I can read it? website, or maybe download link.

I tried googling it but found nothing!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #407
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:

I'm waiting for the K1600GS/A now

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #408
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
They loved it 2up, and tested it as the fatest and best-braked of the big ADV tourers.

First off, I like the look of the Versys 1000. BUT, it's NOT an "ADV" bike in the sense that the R1200GS is. It's a street bike with comfortable seating. Just because you don't lie down on it like a GSX-R, or go feet first like most H-D products, doesn't mean it's an "adventure" bike. It has a 17" front. I don't get why everybody here thinks it's an ADV bike.
Me? I'll probably make it my next bike, but I won't be taking it to TDF. I have a DR650 for that type of foolishness.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #409
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:

That's odd, because the test reports I have been reading so far mentionned spongy breaks and an abs that doesn't work well on bad tarmac
I'd sure like it better if the breaks were good, as it would be a good cheap bike to replace my crashed S10
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #410
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
That's odd, because the test reports I have been reading so far mentionned spongy breaks and an abs that doesn't work well on bad tarmac
I'd sure like it better if the breaks were good, as it would be a good cheap bike to replace my crashed S10
Every review I read points to the awsome traction control aswell as the bosh abs as being one of the best in town.

They to complain about the front forks, but that wouldn't be a restriction for me, as I'm sure I won't ride it half as hard as those testers do
Old 07-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #411
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I guess I'll make my own opinion once I'm capable of riding again then ;)
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #412
Azmo
beginner

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
First off, I like the look of the Versys 1000. BUT, it's NOT an "ADV" bike in the sense that the R1200GS is. It's a street bike with comfortable seating. Just because you don't lie down on it like a GSX-R, or go feet first like most H-D products, doesn't mean it's an "adventure" bike. It has a 17" front. I don't get why everybody here thinks it's an ADV bike.
Me? I'll probably make it my next bike, but I won't be taking it to TDF. I have a DR650 for that type of foolishness.
Lyle
exactly. I don't think that K somewhere states that R1200GS adventure it is the same kind of 'adventure' which is V1000 designed for. If you take an across-Europe trip as an adventure - that is a nice bike for completing that goal. If you are up to beaches, sand, serious dirt and other types of offroad - please reconsider, as versys 1000 is not the right choice.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #413
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Still thinking it was the right choice. Engine is breaking in nicely, starts to growl and go as the revs rise. No, it's not a GS. But a GS isn't a KTM, either, so it's all relative. And Kawasaki is right, very few "adventure" bike owners actually use them as such. If reality outweighs marketing, the Versys 1000 will be a hit.

Of course, I also have a KLR and a KLX - not particularly a Kaw fan, just luck of the draw when I wanted a bike of a certain type. I still like the KLR, but am thinking that it might make more sense to jump straight from something like the Versys 1000 to a bike that's truly dirt worthy - and with respect, any bike that weighs as much as a GS and the like, is not.

I still think it's *not pretty*, but I don't care. It's a good bike, and a good value.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #414
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Still thinking it was the right choice. Engine is breaking in nicely, starts to growl and go as the revs rise. No, it's not a GS. But a GS isn't a KTM, either, so it's all relative. And Kawasaki is right, very few "adventure" bike owners actually use them as such. If reality outweighs marketing, the Versys 1000 will be a hit.

Of course, I also have a KLR and a KLX - not particularly a Kaw fan, just luck of the draw when I wanted a bike of a certain type. I still like the KLR, but am thinking that it might make more sense to jump straight from something like the Versys 1000 to a bike that's truly dirt worthy - and with respect, any bike that weighs as much as a GS and the like, is not.

I still think it's *not pretty*, but I don't care. It's a good bike, and a good value.
Well, let's see some pictures of it.....
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #415
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Well, let's see some pictures of it.....
What he said.....
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #416
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Better? Better photos later when I add the milk crate.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #417
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,325
I am hoping to bring this thread back to life. I am looking at replacing a few bikes I have with one. The ZG1000 being the thing I most want to get rid of. I'm thinking the Versys 1000 should make an excellent replacement for everything, still give me the long distance capabilities I want, plus the versatility I miss from my VStrom.
The 1000 Versys is a bit of a rare bird around here, so not many people I can ask in person. I'm hoping for some input from people who have now had a chance to put some miles on theirs.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #418
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Better photos later when I add the milk crate.
Bwahahahahahahaha.....

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #419
aquadog
Dude Buddha

It's now getting dark enough (twilight) by midnight that I can report that the lights are probably up to the job. Still liking it. Haven't noticed any front end uncertainty, but I don't ride as hard as a tester. Have now ridden two-up a bit, and it handles that duty well, you can tell it's not stressing the bike. Pillion is barely noticeable until you get down to walking speed. Brakes are fine, lots of grip, good feel. Just at the point where cables and chain have stretched a bit, tightened everything up, all is well. Decent wind protection (6'-1"), only upper arms get some blast.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #420
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Stolen from a thread in Road Warriors. 2013 model coming to America? I hope..
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote