ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #46
mcgrad96
n00b
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 1
did it work?

I am dying to find out if anyone eventually got a title in their name in their home state for their small street bike by plating it in Vermont and then transfering the plate and registration ONLY to their state. Let me know it if worked or NOT at mcgrad96@gmail.com. I just bought a 1982 Kawasaki AR80A with only 40 miles on it BUT not title! Thanks! Jimbo
mcgrad96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #47
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Gladwin, Mi
Oddometer: 1,849
subscribed.
__________________
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
2001 Yamaha TW200 (Wife's bike)
2005 Yamaha FZ6

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #48
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps
 
Me and my monkee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Augusta GA
Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrad96 View Post
I am dying to find out if anyone eventually got a title in their name in their home state for their small street bike by plating it in Vermont and then transfering the plate and registration ONLY to their state. Let me know it if worked or NOT at mcgrad96@gmail.com. I just bought a 1982 Kawasaki AR80A with only 40 miles on it BUT not title! Thanks! Jimbo
I just want to see pics of your AR80
__________________
2001 Moto Guzzi California Jackal, 2000 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours,
2001 Suzuki SV650S, 2001 Suzuki DR650SE,
2001 Kawasaki BN125 Eliminator, 1981 Kawasaki AR80
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #49
Furious E
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 29
Verification of Suitability for Highway Use

So in my attempt to get my 1973 CL175 registered and on the road, I sent in my application for registration along with a photocopy of the bill of sale I received at the time of purchase, along with the appropriate fees, to the VT DMV at the beginning of last week. I received a reply in the mail today stating

"There was a problem completing your request. Please provide verification that your motorcycle was manufactured for, or has been modified for highway use. In order to register your motorcycle in Vermont, please provide a letter from a Vermont inspection station affirming that it meets Vermont highway standards."

Clearly anyone familiar with the Honda CLs knows that they were manufactured as a street bike, however it seems to me like they think I might be trying to register a dirt bike that I stuck some lights and signals on, which I know a lot of out-of-staters do through VT. Or that they want me to get it VT inspected before registration, which is contrary to my understanding of their rules.

Anyways, taking it to a VT inspection station is clearly impractical for me, as I live in south central PA. Has anyone else run into this issue? What about getting a letter from a PA inspection station? Or from a Honda dealership stating that the model was manufactured for street use? I just want to get this thing on the road and start RIDING already!
Furious E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
mjydrafter
evil boy for life
 
mjydrafter's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: dsm, ia
Oddometer: 4,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious E View Post
So in my attempt to get my 1973 CL175 registered and on the road, I sent in my application for registration along with a photocopy of the bill of sale I received at the time of purchase, along with the appropriate fees, to the VT DMV at the beginning of last week. I received a reply in the mail today stating

"There was a problem completing your request. Please provide verification that your motorcycle was manufactured for, or has been modified for highway use. In order to register your motorcycle in Vermont, please provide a letter from a Vermont inspection station affirming that it meets Vermont highway standards."

Clearly anyone familiar with the Honda CLs knows that they were manufactured as a street bike, however it seems to me like they think I might be trying to register a dirt bike that I stuck some lights and signals on, which I know a lot of out-of-staters do through VT. Or that they want me to get it VT inspected before registration, which is contrary to my understanding of their rules.

Anyways, taking it to a VT inspection station is clearly impractical for me, as I live in south central PA. Has anyone else run into this issue? What about getting a letter from a PA inspection station? Or from a Honda dealership stating that the model was manufactured for street use? I just want to get this thing on the road and start RIDING already!
Have you spoken with the PA DMV about this? When I got my bonded certificate of title here, the IA DMV said they would not accept this or the title services... So before you go through too much hassle, you may give them a ring.
__________________
1974 Suzuki TC-185 (The little 10 speed)
1986 BMW K75c
Quote:
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #51
Furious E
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Have you spoken with the PA DMV about this? When I got my bonded certificate of title here, the IA DMV said they would not accept this or the title services... So before you go through too much hassle, you may give them a ring.
I actually attempted to yesterday, mainly to see if there was actually some avenue I could go through with PA to get a title, however it was late in the day by that point and I was talking to the wrong people as it turns out. From what I had gleaned through my research on the interwebs, the VT thing seemed to be the path of least resistance, and, if worst came to worst, that would at least get me a plate on the thing. I guess I will give the Vermont DMV a call on Monday and see what they have to say. I figure there are a couple of possibilities here:

1) See if they would accept a letter from a PA inspection station
2) Accept a letter from a Honda dealer stating that the bike was indeed manufactured for road use
3) Convince them to google it and see for themselves what the CL is.
Furious E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #52
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,697
I just filed for a plate today for my 71 RT360 street tracker. Plan to keep the Vermont plate until about December, then attempt to file for a Florida title. I have an undated, but signed, bill of sale. So, regardless, I will have another way around just in case.

Knew I'd like that state for something one day.
__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #53
BellyUpFish
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 1
Gonna try this for Alabama soon..
BellyUpFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #54
kz1000
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 1
Will this work for a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90, trouble we're having is the original lien holder has no record in their system, the bike was towed back in 2007 and never claimed.
kz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #55
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
I'm in the process of trying this for my 1978 KZ750 that has no title. Colorado makes it a real pain in the butt to get a title. Hopefully this works! I've filled out the regular form and since mine was purchased privately it HAS to have a Visual VIN Inspection. The visual VIN is just to check and see if you have altered the VIN. The inspection doesn't have to be done by the state of Vermont either! Hopefully Ill be reporting back in a few weeks with a tag and registration.
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #56
deathforefox
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 1
Vermont hasn't given anyone a hard time about not having Vermont drivers license, or out of state address?
deathforefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #57
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
Just wanna give a little update. Got a letter back from Vermont DMV. Letter states that my registration fee was wrong. They changed it from $41 to $44. They sent back my application, vin verification, bill of sale, check and the letter with instructions. Re-sent everything out again today with the proper registration fee this time. Everything but the registration fee was marked ok, so, I should be good to go now. Fingers crossed. Will update when I hear back from Vermont DMV. Hopefully reporting that I have a registration and plates!
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #58
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathforefox View Post
Vermont hasn't given anyone a hard time about not having Vermont drivers license, or out of state address?
Nope, states right on the Vermont DMV website that you dont have to be a resident to register a bike there.
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #59
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
A little update here. Just received my Vermont plate and 1 year transferable registration application signed off yesterday. This was for a 78 KZ750. I plan on just rocking the VT plate until the end of the summer. Then I will start the process of trying to get a Colorado title. Anyways heres a photo for proof.


luniz7 screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 03:13 PM
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #60
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Madison, WI and/or Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by luniz7 View Post
A little update here. Just received my Vermont plate and 1 year transferable registration yesterday. This was for a 78 KZ750. I plan on just rocking the VT plate until the end of the summer. Then I will start the process of trying to get a Colorado title. Anyways heres a photo for proof.
Nice. Pretty soon you'll get a sticker for that plate along with a real registration card (vs. the signed-off application they send back with the plate). That card'll get you a Colorado title.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014