Oddometer: 443
Another company to consider;

http://klim.com/
SF_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
AlabamaGetaway OP
New 'Round Here

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the review gfloyd2002 and for the info about fraying, AceRider01. It's never cut and dried, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Rider View Post
I looked through their lineup but as far as I can tell, they don't offer anything for hot weather riding. Or am I mistaken?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 610
FYI, the grabbing fabric at the bottom is meant for WP with WP liner in - think of it as a gaiter. - you can buy some other fabric which is WP but less grabby - then get someone to replace it it.

In terms of weave on the Mesh - the tight weave means they dont flow air particular well. Now some say this system works best because you are not getting a furnace blast. This will be true in the following condition: You will be using them in higher speed >70km/hr and in dry heat weather. Communting where most the speed is less than 70km/hr and in humid weather - An Air -Weave is probably better - but u go down in protection level again.

In terms of Safety - if you look at the side of pants when it is the most likely contact points for crash - the material is thin and unsubstantial - the seat material on the pants are not too bad. As with the rest of the pants, well u know what i thought of the safety factor- mediocre. Sure there are tons of stuff on the market offering even less protection - but you are paying BMW prices here and one would expect more.

In terms of comfort - yes i agree - it is very comfortable.

PS - take out the standard hip pads - it does next to nothing in protection but takes weight too much room - replaced with some soft CE pads (i used BMW NP Protector- more protection less bulk).
AceRider01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
gfloyd2002
Title Free Since '12

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
FYI, the grabbing fabric at the bottom is meant for WP with WP liner in - think of it as a gaiter. - you can buy some other fabric which is WP but less grabby - then get someone to replace it it.

In terms of weave on the Mesh - the tight weave means they dont flow air particular well. Now some say this system works best because you are not getting a furnace blast. This will be true in the following condition: You will be using them in higher speed >70km/hr and in dry heat weather. Communting where most the speed is less than 70km/hr and in humid weather - An Air -Weave is probably better - but u go down in protection level again.

In terms of Safety - if you look at the side of pants when it is the most likely contact points for crash - the material is thin and unsubstantial - the seat material on the pants are not too bad. As with the rest of the pants, well u know what i thought of the safety factor- mediocre. Sure there are tons of stuff on the market offering even less protection - but you are paying BMW prices here and one would expect more.

In terms of comfort - yes i agree - it is very comfortable.

PS - take out the standard hip pads - it does next to nothing in protection but takes weight too much room - replaced with some soft CE pads (i used BMW NP Protector- more protection less bulk).
Good point on the grabbing fabric for waterproofing. Also does a good job of keeping the pants from riding up on my boots, which is nice when riding. But overall really not worth it, and I wish it would go away.

On the airflow of dynex mesh, I'm not too sure that it flows worse than an air weave. I ride in 90+, high humidity here in the tropics, and I don't get faster than 40 mph on my daily commute. The airflow just as good as the cheapo air weave polyester stuff and it keeps me cool. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but my experience is that the dynex works quite well. Safer and flows as much as my other, lower quality mesh gear like the open weave on my Teiz Mojave. I often wear wicking undergarments, which really helps.

After two years with the Turbine jacket, I've got no fraying at all, anywhere. No other gear I've had has held up as well except for my Aerostich. On the Turbine pants, I have less bike time on them, but they are still wearing like brand new also. Maybe I'm doing better than others, but I have absolutely zero complaints about the quality of construction on this stuff and would happily go back to REV'ITs top tier gear. I think like many manufacturers (Alpinestars comes to mind), their gear varies in quality toward the lower end, but at the top end I do think it justifies the price. (I've got REV'IT gloves, too, and they are absolutely fantastic - have been more durable than my old Helds.)

I may also disagree on the protection on the side of the pants, though that Ride Magazine study is new to me and worrisome. Still, not sure whether anything short of Motoport or BMW is tougher in the summer gear market. (Though that is sort of like saying there isn't a faster diesel car on the road . . . ) It is still high denier material which lots of testing has shown to do very well in abrasion resistance - much better than the Ride magazine results. That is why those results really surprise me, and I'm wondering if there is some outlying data point at work. Still, appreciate the tip on that study, which I plan to dig into.

Can't disagree on stiff pricing, but you can find them for $250 now, down from $330 original pricing, and I'm still extremely happy with them. Though if we are debating whether the BMW gear is better quality, I think I would be willing to concede that point. The BMW Airflow suit looks just awesome, and I don't think anyone can touch BMW gear build quality. I wish they'd make their sizing more sane and make it easier to buy from overseas.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

gfloyd2002,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Good point on the grabbing fabric for waterproofing. Also does a good job of keeping the pants from riding up on my boots, which is nice when riding. But overall really not worth it, and I wish it would go away.

agreed - WP in tropical heat is not my biggest concerned either - there is a lot of other WP materials which are not grabby - mere suggestion that one could replace with those instead for minimal cost

On the airflow of dynex mesh, I'm not too sure that it flows worse than an air weave.....

The mesh on Turbine is tight weaved (not sure how much better in abrasion testing), but it is certainly less air permeable than say Air Weave - looking at it i say there's only a minimal advantage, if any on abrasion testing.

After two years with the Turbine jacket, I've got no fraying at all, anywhere...... their gear varies in quality toward the lower end, but at the top end I do think it justifies the price.

i have their Caynne Pro & Turbine suits - supposed to be top end of the stuff - CP has Velcro issues (but that's no biggie-easy fix) - Turbine has both Velcro and fraying issues on mine - but i ride more than 15,000km or 10,000m a year - perhaps i am harder on my gear. :)

(I've got REV'IT gloves, too, and they are absolutely fantastic - have been more durable than my old Helds.)

Rev It gloves - i can recommend - i had Zenith H2O for more than 40,000km until i worn out the fingers - current Airvolution and Phantom GTX seem to be doing well after 10,000km and 5000km respectively.

I may also disagree on the protection on the side of the pants, though that Ride Magazine study is new to me and worrisome. Still, not sure whether anything short of Motoport or BMW is tougher in the summer gear market. (Though that is sort of like saying there isn't a faster diesel car on the road . . . ) It is still high denier material which lots of testing has shown to do very well in abrasion resistance - much better than the Ride magazine results.....

Some of tests your link posted refers to Martindale type testing method of testing abrasion - it's great for testing abrasion from a durability point of view, not impact abrasion as common with motorcycle type crash - EN13595 abrasion tests are the only appropriate ones ATM to test for MC clothing. EN13595 essentially stipulates a weighted fabric piece is drop from a set distance on the a standardised abrasive grinding belts to simulate body dropping to asphalt at speed. The only similar tests in the link there are the "drag on asphalts test", but they dont simulate the impact part. For data reference, here are rest of RiDE mag tests (they used the same EN13595 tests)
Hein Gericke Reno leather jeans: 4.74 seconds
Draggin' Biker kevlar jeans: 3.07 seconds
Hornee kevlar jeans: 1.39 seconds
Rev'it Sand textile trousers: 0.71 seconds
Levi stonewash 501s: 0.56 seconds
Tesco Cherokee jeans: 0.16 seconds

Can't disagree on stiff pricing, but you can find them for $250 now, down from $330 original pricing, and I'm still extremely happy with them. Though if we are debating whether the BMW gear is better quality, I think I would be willing to concede that point. ....

BMW gear is generally of a good quality in terms of longevity (except of a lot of their zippers of late), but a lot of their gear does not do that well in abrasion testing either. Perhaps the pricing in the States and Canada is a bit different - but quite a number of REV IT gear here is now within 15% of BMW gear undiscounted - I generally only buy BMW clothing when they are a 35% or more discount special

The truth is that for hot (ie > 30c or 86F) in humid (>80%) weather in urban (<70km/hr) stop start traffic, i havent come across any gear which provides great protection and still feel comfortable

AceRider01 screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 08:37 PM
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
arcolamo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I have Olympia pants and a Vanson Mesh jacket. I have been quite pleased with both. It is hot and humid for months on end here too.
arcolamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Got my turbine pants today from revzilla. Nice pants, seem to be very well made and their comfortable. But I actually like my old airglides better. I think the tighter weave mesh rev'it uses won't flow enough air in the third level of hell, aka Florida. I decided to exchange them for the olympia recon 3 pants. I'm going with the recon 3 over the airglides because i don't use them as overpants and The cargo pockets will come in handy for toll money. I just wish they didn't convert to shorts. Stupid idea IMO.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #23
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaGetaway View Post
Sometimes you gotta scrape both knees, both elbows and sprain a toe before you learn the necessity of having protection for your whole body and not just your head. So I need some hot weather commuting gear for riding in the hot 'bama weather. Right now I am trying to pick a jacket and pair of pants.

I'm willing to spend a fair bit of coin to get something quality that will last. Don't want to spend money just to be spending money though - that's what the Scotch fund is for. Waterproof doesn't matter to me, I already have rain gear.

REV'IT and Olympia seem to be popular 'round here. Right now I'm looking at the Olympia Airglide 3 line versus the REV'IT Tornado. Or possibly the REV'IT Airwave. Can these products flow enough air, protect me reasonably well and last through every day riding?

I've seen praise for the quality of Olympia relative to the price. Is REV'IT better, worse or similar?

Is the Airwave of good quality or should I go ahead and spend more?

Thanks gents.
Olympia uses Cordura and is more rugged wrt abrasion resistance and will also last slightly longer than RevIt. I've owned both. That said the Airglide only use lighter 500D Cordura and the Tornado which I have not seen supposedly uses super fabric on the strike points although it is lightly made elsewhere.

Also Vanson make some very abrasion resistant Cordura mesh gear. Icon, Alpine Stars and others also make compound leather/mesh gear.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #24
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
......and the Tornado which I have not seen supposedly uses super fabric on the strike points although it is lightly made elsewhere.

I think superfabric on REV IT mesh gear is only on Turbine
Old 07-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #25
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
gfloyd2002,

The truth is that for hot (ie > 30c or 86F) in humid (>80%) weather in urban (<70km/hr) stop start traffic, i havent come across any gear which provides great protection and still feel comfortable
Anyone on our team want to take this one?
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote