User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #1336
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,362
Flew these two this evening, the red one was just tossed together this afternoon.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #1337
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
When you went over things, did you disassemble the motor? There is a possibility a hard hit knocked a wire loose in teh motor. Had it happen to a plane motor when ti nosed in. Is the battery charged? The low voltage cutoff will allow servo operation, but not motor operation. The only other oprion is ESC failure and I have had them turn on and power the radio system yet not run the motor.
I have not yet disassembled the motor. Unfortuately, when trying to remove the pinion gear set screw, I stripped the allen head out... so now it looks like I'm either going to have to cut the whole thing apart, or just buy a new mounting plate for the new motor.

Good thought on the batteries, though - I honestly hadn't checked them since I wrecked it. However, both of the 2s packs had a pretty good charge, at around 8v each.

I'll find out if I screwed the ESC's pooch when I get the new motor. Having to eat the cost of a new pinion is no big deal if I can't get the old one off the motor... I already have one in my box-o-parts. The mounting plate, however, will piss me off with yet another week's wait to get this back on the road.

Serves me right for driving like a hoon.
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #1338
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
Dremel the heads off the offending Allen heads or can you get a grip on them with a good pair of vice grips? Just a couple of options there. Hate to see you loose a motor plate.

Or are you talking about the grub screw that holds the pinion on?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #1339
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
4x4 on the left, 2wd on the right

Still loving them!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #1340
nadams
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Or are you talking about the grub screw that holds the pinion on?
That's the one... Stripped it right out. Must really be stuck in there, or maybe they used some strong Loktite. Once I get the new motor and verify that everything else is working, I'll probably just cut the motor shaft so I can remove the plate.
nadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #1341
Bender
Banned

Oddometer: 32,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadams View Post
That's the one... Stripped it right out. Must really be stuck in there, or maybe they used some strong Loktite. Once I get the new motor and verify that everything else is working, I'll probably just cut the motor shaft so I can remove the plate.

Try a little heat in case it's the good loctite??
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #1342
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
I wouldn't call myself a nut but am starting to get into radio controlled cars again. About 6 years ago I bought a nitro car because I always wanted one when I was in my teens. I thought it had a real cool factor with the exhaust note, also I remember having to wait hours for a battery to charge to get 10 minutes of run time in an old hornet my neighbor had.

I got over the nitro thing real quik after screwing with the engine and constantly breaking parts. Still seemed to get 15 minutes of run time to $45 in broken parts. After a coulple months the car sat idle in my garage for the past 5 years.

My buudy has a son in a wheelchair and one of the hobbies he's into big time being a teen is RC cars. They told me to try an electric car as they a pretty good today and he's gotten rid of all his nitro stuff and replaced it with electric.

I bought an HPI Savage XS a couple weeks ago and todays electric cars are awsome. The thing will do a standing back flip if you squeeze the trigger fast. Batteries charge in about an hour and the thing is night and day difference with what I remember as a kid. Back then it was three speeds forward and you hit reverse for brakes. Now you have infinite speed control and progressive braking. Unreal power and decent runtimes have me hooked.

I think I'm now now and looking to get a short course truck too and check out a race.

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #1343
BerndM
Shiftless One

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
Flew these two this evening, the red one was just tossed together this afternoon.
I have one of the red ones that I've modified quite heavily for aerial video application and love the way it flies, as long as it isn't windy.
Is there a huge difference in control with the aileron setup? The planes are so light, I'm wondering if it's worth modifying mine.
BerndM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #1344
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will LC8 View Post
I wouldn't call myself a nut but am starting to get into radio controlled cars again. About 6 years ago I bought a nitro car because I always wanted one when I was in my teens. I thought it had a real cool factor with the exhaust note, also I remember having to wait hours for a battery to charge to get 10 minutes of run time in an old hornet my neighbor had.

I got over the nitro thing real quik after screwing with the engine and constantly breaking parts. Still seemed to get 15 minutes of run time to $45 in broken parts. After a coulple months the car sat idle in my garage for the past 5 years.

My buudy has a son in a wheelchair and one of the hobbies he's into big time being a teen is RC cars. They told me to try an electric car as they a pretty good today and he's gotten rid of all his nitro stuff and replaced it with electric.

I bought an HPI Savage XS a couple weeks ago and todays electric cars are awsome. The thing will do a standing back flip if you squeeze the trigger fast. Batteries charge in about an hour and the thing is night and day difference with what I remember as a kid. Back then it was three speeds forward and you hit reverse for brakes. Now you have infinite speed control and progressive braking. Unreal power and decent runtimes have me hooked.

I think I'm now now and looking to get a short course truck too and check out a race.
A coworker ran nitro cars for years before he got out of the hobby. He made fun of me for running electric airplanes, saying that real men ran nitro in the RC world. A couple weeks ago he ran into one of his old friends from his nitro days. The friend has converted everything to LiPo and Brushless. Said there is no going back to LiPo. He hasn't bothered me about the electric stuff since.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #1345
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
I work in a hobby shop and 95 percent of the cars and planes we sell are electric. And the big reason we sell what we do in nitro is bigger planes.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #1346
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
I have one of the red ones that I've modified quite heavily for aerial video application and love the way it flies, as long as it isn't windy.
Is there a huge difference in control with the aileron setup? The planes are so light, I'm wondering if it's worth modifying mine.
I actually enjoy flying my Slow Sticks in the wind. They are kind of like RC kites.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #1347
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,508
As i posted a few pages back I am building up a Tamiya Bigwig. last night I started and completed this morning the rear gearbox and drive train.

I am a bit dissapointed with it. I have built a few Tamiya platic kits and have always been happy with them. With what I have just built, there is a lot of slop in the drive train, more than I would have expected. For example, i can hold the assembly and move the wheel inboard / outboard a bit, not much, but there is movement there. These are all brand new components.

I checked the build manual and what I had put together, everything was there (including ball bearings, not using plastic bushes)

Does this seem normal.

Anyway, it kept me entertained for a while am going to continue the build.

He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #1348
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,508
Oh, and this is the Tamiya Bigwig. My body scheeme will be slightly different

He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #1349
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
...there is a lot of slop in the drive train...

Does this seem normal?
Unfortunately yes when it comes to the Tamiya plastic kits.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #1350
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
I work in a hobby shop and 95 percent of the cars and planes we sell are electric. And the big reason we sell what we do in nitro is bigger planes.

Even with planes I have gotten away from glow. I converted a 80" 15+lb plane to electric and it is just a dream to fly. I only have 1 pack for it as that is a bit of a pain to get in and out....have to remove the wing. It flys on 48v and is the biggest plane that I currently own. I do not it much anymore as it is really just too big for me to mess with.

I have always loved the P-39 but truth be known I fly the wings off my little P39 alfa, the big VQ has about 10 flights total on it.

link to the plane I converted.

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/product_in...roducts_id=278

Anymore I just fly foam. I really enjoy the Radin I just bought and am just going crazy with the little panther. I actually do not think I would be still flying if it was only balsa.

The cars I actually don't even mess with my 1/5 buggy much anymore...bet it has been 6-8 months. I do like to dig out the slash once and a while and bomb around the yard, the race scene around here is just a little to nutty for me....most of the father son, casual racers have left....only hard core guys anymore.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: