Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #121
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 757
What pains me is when I actually do see sport touring bikes in the wild, they're ridden by grey hairs in loafers.

ST1300s seem especially prone to this.

The only K16 sightings I've made in the wild are a local guy on a white GT who wears a skullcap that couldn't possibly be DOT, and T shirts and shorts or jeans, and just yesterday a silver GTL in NH ridden by a geezer, without a helmet, in a tank top. I could see the white hair of his shoulders as he passed, without returning my wave.

What kind of fucker buys one of the worlds highest performance motorcycles then wears a tank top on it? A stupid fucker. Kids do it on gixxers, grandpas do it on big STs.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #122
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
I don't have a sport tour, but I sure want one. Other then the brief talk of MG Norge1200 and Suzuki GSX1250FA. No one talks or brings up Triumph Sprint GT, BMW K1300S or even the Yamaha FZ1. I would (and will soon) pick up one of these to tour on. We have great roads and places to see around MD. Plus they are all fairly good if not great at two up. Just wish there was a MG dealer closer then PA. Not for support, we have two dealers around here who are authorized to work and sell them, they just don't carry them. I just want to put a leg over one and see how it fits. I'm 6'2" at 230. I am curious though. Couldn't ANY bike be a sport tour? Not going by industry standards but personal preference. I'm not saying, just saying...
I've owned both the GSX1250FA and a BMW K1200S. At 6'2" you'll be a better fit on the K1300S than on the Suzuki. I'm also 6'2" and 200lbs and while the Suzuki worked, it got a little cramped after a few hours on the highway. Now I have an FJR and really wish I had the K12S back. While the FJR works perfectly I'm finding it's a bit more of a touring bike than I'd like.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #123
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
What pains me is....grey hairs in loafers.....and T shirts and shorts or jeans..... a geezer..... fucker.......stupid fucker.......
How about you get on and enjoy your ride, and they do the same, without a bunch of inane name calling?
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #124
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
What pains me is when I actually do see sport touring bikes in the wild, they're ridden by grey hairs in loafers.

ST1300s seem especially prone to this.

The only K16 sightings I've made in the wild are a local guy on a white GT who wears a skullcap that couldn't possibly be DOT, and T shirts and shorts or jeans, and just yesterday a silver GTL in NH ridden by a geezer, without a helmet, in a tank top. I could see the white hair of his shoulders as he passed, without returning my wave.

What kind of fucker buys one of the worlds highest performance motorcycles then wears a tank top on it? A stupid fucker. Kids do it on gixxers, grandpas do it on big STs.
Wow ...never have observed a ST Rider like that. Just got back from a ST event in Norcal and all had the gear. Seems to me anyways. But regardless of the bike .... folks do dumb things anyways.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #125
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 View Post
I've owned both the GSX1250FA and a BMW K1200S. At 6'2" you'll be a better fit on the K1300S than on the Suzuki. I'm also 6'2" and 200lbs and while the Suzuki worked, it got a little cramped after a few hours on the highway. Now I have an FJR and really wish I had the K12S back. While the FJR works perfectly I'm finding it's a bit more of a touring bike than I'd like.
Thanks. That is the kind of feed back I like to hear. I am not a big fan of BMW, but a few of their bikes I just love. I did sit on a new K1300S at a dealer here. Fit like a glove. Expensive glove with all the extra electronics, but still very nice if they make the ride safer and better.
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #126
MRHAPPY
GSIN

Oddometer: 1,119
people that give two shits about what the other guy is wearing should focus more on themselves and not as much on everyone else. i ride a blackbird and if i am going out on a trip or a ''spirited'' ride i wear full textile or depending on temp, one piece leathers, if i am going on a little cruise or commuting im in jeans and a jacket, not atgatt, so that makes me the subject of ridicule? i do not care what anyone thinks nor do i care what anyone else wears. why does every single intelligent thread turn to atgatt this and he wears that,,get a life,, and to the OP good question and i have enjoyed keeping up with this thread,there have been some well thought opinions and i think everyone appreciates that,,,
Old 07-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #127
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRHAPPY View Post
people that give two shits about what the other guy is wearing should focus more on themselves and not as much on everyone else. i ride a blackbird and if i am going out on a trip or a ''spirited'' ride i wear full textile or depending on temp, one piece leathers, if i am going on a little cruise or commuting im in jeans and a jacket, not atgatt, so that makes me the subject of ridicule? i do not care what anyone thinks nor do i care what anyone else wears. why does every single intelligent thread turn to atgatt this and he wears that,,get a life,, and to the OP good question and i have enjoyed keeping up with this thread,there have been some well thought opinions and i think everyone appreciates that,,,
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #128
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,438
why are they not seen as much?
adv bikes are killing them off.
i'd say sport tourer owners are trading over to big adv/best style bikes more than anything else.

people have concluded there is already enough power so that's not a factor any more
adv bikes offer the shaft, upright position and wind protection
PLUS you can also go down dirt roads and away from the crowded paved roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I've come to the rather inescapable conclusion that sport touring motorcycles are among the rarest forms of transportation on Earth.
No matter where I go - unless it's to a bike rally - they are invisible. Nowhere to be found. On a motorcycle trip recently on my FRJ1300 covering about 1,400 miles I spotted ...
  • Probably 3 BMW R1200RTs
  • 1 BMW K1200S
  • 1 BMW R1100RT
  • 1 BMW R1150RT
  • 1 Triumph Sprint
  • 2 Honda ST1300s
  • 1 Honda ST1100
  • 1 Kawasaki Concours14
  • A couple of "I can't quite make that one out"s
In all those miles. In great motorcycle country.
The rest were old beat standards, dirt bikes, Gold Wings and, of course, Harleys.
Thousands and thousands and thousands of Harleys.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
But it really brought home to me once again, after riding for so many years, that the sport tourer is an odd bird that defies convention and appears not to appeal to very many people, which I find puzzling. To me, they're bikes that do so many things well (as long as it's on pavement).
What's your theory as to why sport tourers don't sell very well?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #129
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,563
I had a GS.

I got tired of that clanky tractor engine.

It was the Hitler video I think..
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #130
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I made the switch from and ADV bike(950ADV) to a ST bike(Futura) and the ST surely is a better street bike than and ADV bike... For me anyhow. If I lived in the Southwest I think I would still have my Nine-Fiddy... But in Ohio there was just no good place to ride it.
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #131
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot5 View Post
Hi Jetpilot. I remember you from I-BMW..

I felt the same after owning a GSA for awhile. Sold my K12S, bought a GSA and loved it. Just a great bike. Finances willing, I'll own another one day. Back on a K1300S now, because the GSA was just a little too tall and too...I guess, tame. For some reason, those K's either get under your skin, or they don't. I'm happy for the foreseeable future, but I love all bikes, so I'm not immune to the "next bike" affliction, by any means.

Still need to get together for a ride one of these days. Maybe when it drops below 100...
Old 07-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #132
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Hi Jetpilot. I remember you from I-BMW..

I felt the same after owning a GSA for awhile. Sold my K12S, bought a GSA and loved it. Just a great bike. Finances willing, I'll own another one day. Back on a K1300S now, because the GSA was just a little too tall and too...I guess, tame. For some reason, those K's either get under your skin, or they don't. I'm happy for the foreseeable future, but I love all bikes, so I'm not immune to the "next bike" affliction, by any means.

Still need to get together for a ride one of these days. Maybe when it drops below 100...
Yup, that's me. I still lurk there some. Can't seem to get past the BMW thing. Since I traded the K12S I've had the GSX1250FA that I owned for a total of 87 days and coming up on a year with the FJR and I find myself hunting down clean used BMW's on the internet. I'm hopeless. Sure wish Twin City was still around.

Would love to hook up for a ride sometime.... when it cools off some.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #133
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I've come to the rather inescapable conclusion that sport touring motorcycles are among the rarest forms of transportation on Earth.
No matter where I go - unless it's to a bike rally - they are invisible. Nowhere to be found. On a motorcycle trip recently on my FRJ1300 covering about 1,400 miles I spotted ...
  • Probably 3 BMW R1200RTs
  • 1 BMW K1200S
  • 1 BMW R1100RT
  • 1 BMW R1150RT
  • 1 Triumph Sprint
  • 2 Honda ST1300s
  • 1 Honda ST1100
  • 1 Kawasaki Concours14
  • A couple of "I can't quite make that one out"s
In all those miles. In great motorcycle country.
The rest were old beat standards, dirt bikes, Gold Wings and, of course, Harleys.
Thousands and thousands and thousands of Harleys.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
But it really brought home to me once again, after riding for so many years, that the sport tourer is an odd bird that defies convention and appears not to appeal to very many people, which I find puzzling. To me, they're bikes that do so many things well (as long as it's on pavement).
What's your theory as to why sport tourers don't sell very well?
Just so I don't go completely off topic, there are ST riders out there, but I agree they're not all that common. My street bike history is 92 TDM850, 95 GPZ1100, 99 VFR800, 02 CBR1100XX, 06 K1200S, 11 GSX1250FA, 07 FJR1300. Until the FJR I definitely leaned toward the sport side of the equation and now, though the FJR works well, it's really bigger and heavier than I would like. Unfortunately, I live in the flat lands and need a machine that can eat up some interstate on the way to a fun road so pure sport machines are out, the fact that I'm 50 now isn't helping either.

I don't see myself going to an ADV bike. I probably can't completely rule one out because I've never ridden one, but they seem really top heavy and I don't particularly care for the look either. Just give me a good, sporty all-around motorcycle.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #134
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,437
One of the problems with "sport-tourers" is the definition itself.

Everything from a sportsbike with soft luggage up to luxo-barges are being called "sport-tourers".

Not only is the niche small, but it's vague.

IMHO, once you get very far past a sportsbike with bags, you're simply discussing touring bikes.

For me that's about 600 lbs. When you pass that mark, you're just talking about a touring bike that may handle pretty good for a luxo-barge.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #135
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I do. The fatal accident was during a 24hr rally based here in Mpls. I had lunch with a good friend of his, and past rally competitor today, in fact. We talked about it a bit again today, since he was just at the memorial service.

Sobering. Sad. Unfortunate. Avoidable? I dunno. But there was big group of DNFs at the bottom of that list, a couple of those were local riders whom I've met. A fatality in Oregon during a rally last year... Overall, pretty shitty odds for events put on by a group devoted to 'promoting the sport of safe long distance riding'.
DNF's at the bottom of what list?
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote