Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #13396
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Lots of people complain of this, but frankly when was the last time you had a flat. I know I'm probably jinxing myself now but I've been riding my DR, my wife her DR, my Scrambler, and now the Tiger for almost 10 years and the only time I'm changing a tube is at tire change time. I still carry spare tubes, irons etc. but have yet to need them. I just don't worry about it anymore.
Good point. I've not had any flats on my tubed bikes either. However, I have helped change three flats in the last two months, on other people's bikes, all KLRs, FWIW. And my wife has had three flats on her street bikes over the last eight years. Two were field repairable, but one put a 1/2" pipe through the tire. The only way I could have fixed that in the field is if it has been a tubed tire.

So I don't wish too hard for tubeless. I mostly wanted to give the roadie riders something to be thankful for.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #13397
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
It's hard to quantify riding styles in words, but you sound like a faster street rider than me. I'm pretty confident for me the roadie would be no faster on the street than my XC, but on rougher offroad, the XC would be significantly faster. I just wish I had tubeless tires.

+1
My story as well.
BTW, the XC is a very nice road bike. It's very planted and easy to ride at moderate speeds. The wide bars offset the little extra counter steer it needs for the big hoop. It has turned out to be everything I wanted, SOOOO glad I chose the XC. It is very plush. On the otherhand, at 170lbs I wouldn't want the forks any firmer for road. Brake dive is not nearly what I expected. Maybe my opinion will change after more miles than my measly 125, but I doubt it. The new bike is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bros
Lots of people complain of this, but frankly when was the last time you had a flat. I know I'm probably jinxing myself now but I've been riding my DR, my wife her DR, my Scrambler, and now the Tiger for almost 10 years and the only time I'm changing a tube is at tire change time. I still carry spare tubes, irons etc. but have yet to need them. I just don't worry about it anymore.
Exactly. In 40 years of offroad and 12 on, I have only had one flat on the road. It was on the freeway with a tubeless so easy fix. I've changed a LOT of tires so I have no qualms about a patch fix in the field.

The first thing I did when the XC got home was supplement the tool case with irons, patches, an enduro stand, and a 17mm hex for the front axle. Without a center stand or a bead breaker it's gonna be tough to break the bead. For longer trips a spare front tube is in order, would work in the rear in a pinch as well.

I'm always amazed at riders who will pick up a nail in BFE. Like, where the hell did that come from?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #13398
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Yeah, the Explorer feels massive around the tank area. Closer to a GS Adventure than to a normal GS. I looked at it and immediately scratched it from my "potential future bike" list as for me it is way too massive for what it actually provides.

If I wanted a 1200cc shaftie, I'd get a Yamaha Super Tenere. Feels much smaller and lighter than the Explorer in my opinion. Still about 70kg or so too much for my taste.
I just went out into my garage to jump back and forth... initially I was gonna call bullshit on this as the Explorer tank feels much narrower when you go from the 800 to it. Trying to be understanding, the Explorer tank does flare out (in the same way the 800 does) a little further back, so if you stand, lock your knees and/or lean forward a bit, you can feel the flared out bit on your thighs a bit more than the XC. Seated, however, the flares are above your legs and it is a narrower tank than the XC.

The slightly wider tank (I suppose that's where the 1 litre increase is hiding) seems to LOOK bigger with the colour-matched side panels as opposed to the obvious black plastics on the 800, and way up front they are wider, but you cannot "feel" it; there is no sensation of a large tank (no weight, or slosh), and no GSA-style bulge there.

There are whole rant threads complaining about the smallness of the tank in fact -- not that you should believe anyone on the Interwebs...
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #13399
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
+1
My story as well.
BTW, the XC is a very nice road bike. It's very planted and easy to ride at moderate speeds. The wide bars offset the little extra counter steer it needs for the big hoop. It has turned out to be everything I wanted, SOOOO glad I chose the XC. It is very plush. On the otherhand, at 170lbs I wouldn't want the forks any firmer for road. Brake dive is not nearly what I expected. Maybe my opinion will change after more miles than my measly 125, but I doubt it. The new bike is fantastic.
The softer suspension was only noticeable at first, now I quite enjoy that feeling. I find the Speed Triple hard and less comfortable now, even. And when I'm pushing it on the Speed, it's disconcerting to feel the front wheel "walk" as it starts to come free. But the XC has me high siding in tight turns, so when anything slides I just slide with a good centre of gravity. Not sure that's good roadcraft but it's how I deal with wet 50/50 tyres on low speed turns.

And about that big wheel / wide bars thing. That was the strange part coming to the XC from the roadie. But even after trying a 990 adv, and a gs800, I noticed it more on the XC -- that different-ness. I thought about it a lot since being tall I wanted the bigger bike but that put me off a bit. Then I decided to push my limits and get the XC as something more different than the other bikes. Looking back, I realise that it was a great call for me, since the XC comes much more close to my dimensions for standing, sitting and time in the saddle (still is a bit short to stand even with the rox).

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye
Exactly. In 40 years of offroad and 12 on, I have only had one flat on the road. It was on the freeway with a tubeless so easy fix. I've changed a LOT of tires so I have no qualms about a patch fix in the field.

The first thing I did when the XC got home was supplement the tool case with irons, patches, an enduro stand, and a 17mm hex for the front axle. Without a center stand or a bead breaker it's gonna be tough to break the bead. For longer trips a spare front tube is in order, would work in the rear in a pinch as well.

I'm always amazed at riders who will pick up a nail in BFE. Like, where the hell did that come from?
You must ride in the proper lane position on the road. I tend to play the field and I had my first flat on my XC about 3 months into it. (screw in the rear/centre of the tyre) On my Rocket III I get them about every 6 months.

I believe it is from living in a new houseing development and tradies dropping shyte all over the place. 12 years with one, you're a lucky guy IMO.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #13400
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
I currently have an 03 Dakar and considering an 800 xc. I have like the looks of the XC ever since they came out.

Although the new Explorer looks nice, as well. I am leaning toward the XC over the Explorer but who knows.

So I have a couple of questions.

1) Would you buy an XC again
2) How is the mileage
3) If you where buying today would you get a Explorer over the XC

Thanks,
Tug
Hi Tug,

I'm not sure I'd buy an XC again. Just kidding! I haven't ridden a Dakar so I can't compare that directly. I am currently doing a complete and utter comparison of the Explorer in my garage (borrowed a week!) vs the XC in my garage, however.

Miliage wise, the triples are good if you're good. Get aggressive and zippy, gear down a notch and jack rabbit it around with a huge grin, and you'll see the difference, but otherwise I'm NEVER the first guy needing fuel, ever. (disclaimer, I don't seem to be riding with any GSA's at the moment lol) On midgrade Aussie fuel if I'm being a jackass hooning it up, I get 220 or a bit more out of a tank, which is til the light comes on plus 20k or so. If I'm flat topping it aceoss country on the way back home in the dark because I had been out too long doing that first bit, I get over 300, which makes my max range on tar to be 320 or so in my opinion, when I know the next fuel will definitely be where I expect it to be.

Explorer I'm stull considering the differences... Thought I would love a shaft drive again like my Rocket has... but given the feel is so similar to the 800 I have not yet gotten fully accustomed to the powertrain. The final gear back there has a sound to it, the transmission is heavier, and the driveshaft "feel" (some call it "lash" but that's extreme to me) is all a bit foreign when the bars and position and such are so similar to the XC. On the road I don't feel the weight, but I can feel the added power... The seat is slightly lower than the XC but there's a high seat option (as opposed to a low seat option on XC). OFf-road I would feel the weight... Heaving it up on the centre stand for example.

I like the mags, the computer toys, the single-sided swingarm. Notably the forks have preload adjustment unlike the XC.

But after riding it around a bit the other day, I came back, hopped on my XC and had the desire to wash it up a bit, first time in months my XC's gotten pampered. So yeah, I love my XC. I want other things -- I'd like a smaller bike to throw around in really gnarly shit (and not have to rent at Garners), and I'm actually thinking a new Trophy with computer-o-rama for the road+wifey on back might be a better gap filler than an Explorer -- but despite all that, I just love the XC as my favourite... so far. (been 1 year, on the second rego)

hope this gives you something to think about.

Chris
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #13401
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

scraping on the XC etc etc etc

I scrape on the XC when I have a pillion... Solo, I touch my toes in many turns just as "feelers" and it's turned into what I do, though I've had to replace boots once for overdoing that.

I guess if you have your own gravitational field, and/or have a cow of a pillion, and a soft suspension, you'd scrape any bike -- your fat arse is bottoming out the bike! The guy on the harley will have a stiffer, more heavy weight-rated suspension that can carry more, or has a bottom out at a higher clearance than the XC/roadie, or both?

Damaging the bike (stand safety switch for example) is the bad part -- the design should prevent that IMO. But grinding things off is no indication of skill or a failure of the bike. It's probably just a sign to lay off the Big Macs, or the liquid calories.

In my case it's that pesky touratech side stand foot that hits on the left side. And man, what a nasty sound it makes with the sheet material on edge. Sounds like I'm tearing it clean off!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #13402
cug

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I had one. During a night ride on a country road with virtually no traffic, slight drizzle rain and it was freaking cold. And I had the blasted D606 on the rear, which is bear to get on / off when cold. It was a nightmare as I also did not have cell reception, which unfortunately isn't so rare in this wast country.

After having spent about 2 or 3 hours there to get going again I wish to never ever repeat this. And this has nothing to do anymore with technique. Try to get a D606 rear on when it's around 5 degrees C (41F) and the tire has been sitting for the half hour you were patching the rear tube (because you gave your spare tube to someone who needed it during an offroad ride). I wish you fun and lots of patience. During these two hours exactly one car came by - obviously with some frightened women in there as it was speeding by like nuts with wide eyed people in there ...

In hindsight, I should have just ridden to the next city on the flat tire ... would have been better than sitting there with the wheel / tire off in the cold and dark.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #13403
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
I currently have an 03 Dakar and considering an 800 xc. I have like the looks of the XC ever since they came out.

Although the new Explorer looks nice, as well. I am leaning toward the XC over the Explorer but who knows.

So I have a couple of questions.

1) Would you buy an XC again
2) How is the mileage
3) If you where buying today would you get a Explorer over the XC

Thanks,
Tug
I used to have a 01 Dakar. It was my first bike. I rode 28000 miles in my first year. I loved that bike. The mileage was great and it was a very reliable bike for me. When I graduated from that bike, I bought a 950 Adventure. It was a great bike, but was too maintanence intensive. I sold it for a kitchen remodel.

I just bought a 800XC last month. I love it. the mileage is better than the 950 Adventure and it remindes me of my Dakar, except that it has much more power and a bit less MPG. The suspension is better as well.

I am super happy with the 800XC. I would never want to go with the Explorer because of the size and wt. I don't have a need for a huge DS bike like that. I like the midsize DS bikes.

One more thing about the 800XC, the transmission and engine are buttery smooth. A big difference from my Dakar and Katoom.

Just my $0.02....

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #13404
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post

You must ride in the proper lane position on the road.

Why, yes I do.

I'm still a skeerd street rider after all these years. Still hate blind corners.
And anyway LEO's are all over out here and they don't take kindly to that shit.

On the Explorer...I was looking at Tenere, GS, and 990 as well. All of these bikes were just too damn big for me. I'm goldie locks with the Tiger.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #13405
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

GPS Power

On another note...I was asking about switched power for my GPS. So this morning I took the headlight off, it's a pretty big project as there's a bazillion fasteners to remove, and tapped into the parklamp harness. Removed the connector pins from the harness plug, pryed open the crimps, slipped on a length of shrink tubing, then crimped the GPS power leads to the pins and soldered them on. Shrinked and taped. Reassemble. Works stellar. Looks factory.

Nice pieces and bits too. Tidy wiring. The quality is higher and stuff is made better than the japenese bikes. Very well sorted. Me likey.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #13406
PYG RYDR
Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer: 329
Question HDB Handguards

I am installing my HDB handguards and curious if others used the OEM bolts to anchor the bar ends; or did you remove the OEM handlbar inserts and use Paul's anchors and bolts?

And how do you remove the OEM handlebar inserts?

TIA
There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it.
Only the wisest of humans achieve the second.
Logan Pearsall Smith
PYG RYDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #13407
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Damaging the bike (stand safety switch for example) is the bad part -- the design should prevent that IMO. But grinding things off is no indication of skill or a failure of the bike. It's probably just a sign to lay off the Big Macs, or the liquid calories.
Did I mention I weight 150lbs and ride solo unladen? Preload was probably set around 25% when I lost the side stand switch. Was in a decent lean when a hidden mid corner dip bottomed me. Preload bumped up to 35-40% now which is about as high as I can go and still have some reasonably even compliance between front and rear suspension.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #13408
81husky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYG RYDR View Post

And how do you remove the OEM handlebar inserts?

TIA
They just unscrew. They have some type of thread locker on them, so they are a bit stubborn the first time.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #13409
basepc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Center Stand

Anybody know if the Roadie has the same center stand as the XC? I am interested to know if the Roadie's cstand has rubber bumpers?? My Roadie's doesn't.
basepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #13410
Vzuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Roadie/XC center stands

Compliments of Bike Bandit, here are the center stands for the Tiger.

Since the XC is taller it has a taller center stand or as they say "Long" and the Roadie is "Short".

You can see they did redesign the stands. I assume they did both of them but they only had the one XC stand on the web site. I bolted on the first model (top image) to my bike last year. It only has one bump stop attached to that No. 3 bracket.

Looks like they redesigned the bump stop bracket along with the addition of the bump stops to the legs. I wonder where they contact, the swing arm? I'm too lazy to go down stairs and look.

Vzuke is offline   Reply With Quote