ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 553
Wow, just another basic, overpriced, Nuvi in new clothing. Sadly, the marketing department at Garmin obviously thinks that motorcyclists have more dollars than sense.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
If riders would stop buying these overpriced units, Garmin might rethink the pricing strategy...
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #33
beachdancer
Beachdancer

Oddometer: 53
Price Drop on 660?

New Zumo 660's were on sale at Americade for $575. I stopped at the Garmin booth and the rep there referred me to the dealer at the beach exhibition site.
beachdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #34
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
i've been looking hard at a new gps, Still confused on what to get. For the price its pushing me away from this unit.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
14Traits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
anyone know how well it handles or does not handle tracks instead of routes?

PROUD SPONSOR of #81 Neduro to Dakar - GO NED GO!!
14Traits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 AM   #36
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Traits View Post
anyone know how well it handles or does not handle tracks instead of routes?
I imagine it's the typical ZUMO software build. Converts tracks to routes. But unlike all those hiking and plotcharter GPS's, the ZUMO doesn't alter the routes as laid out in Mapsource/basecamp which is what matters a heck of a lot more to me.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I imagine it's the typical ZUMO software build. Converts tracks to routes. But unlike all those hiking and plotcharter GPS's, the ZUMO doesn't alter the routes as laid out in Mapsource/basecamp which is what matters a heck of a lot more to me.
Important for me too............I wonder though if the 350 can handle track display like the 66X series or just the track conversion routine like my Z550.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Just read the Owners Manual pdf on the 350. It can display tracks but have no idea if you can just pull in recent tracks (10K) like the 550 or archived or 3rd party tracks.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #39
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 358
Eh? What are they putting in the coffee at Garmin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
What's really scaring me is that if they're setting this price point for the 350...what the heck are they gonna charge for the full on Z665 replacement with all the bells and whistles?!?!?
Given the mediocre experience I have had with my Colorado, it will take a lot to convince me to part with any amount of cash for another Garmin product. Right now, having reviewed the specs of the new Zumo and shared the reaction of most of the inmates ( ), my idea is to keep the colorado for tracks, and add a regular Garmin or TomTom unit from the car line-up for a fraction of the price and stick it in a weather proof case for day to day on-road riding.

Alternatively, I would consider a 7" tablet if someone ever builds one that is robust AND affordable. Keep in mind here that affordable means comparable in price to a Garmin 660, since at least then for the $$$ I would have a big screen, access to a broad range of mapping/navigation services, MP3, e-reader etc.

Terence FFM screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 12:47 AM Reason: typo
Terence FFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #40
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
And what of the 340, has anything been published about it? Price, features, release date?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #41
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkMan77 View Post
Thanks for your answer!
So, in both cases (66x and 350), you'd resort in playing music through a (hardwired? to headset e.g. Sena SMH10) player - such as ipod/iphone - and use the bluetooth connection to your headset just for navigation from the Garmin?

Yes, and no. The Zumo 220 (and I believe the 350 also) use a Bluetooth HFP (headset) profile, whereas the 660/665 use an A2DP profile. The Sena SMH10 has the ability to selectively pair to one HFP and one A2DP profile simultaneously, but not two A2DP profiles. What does this mean? For me, it means that I can pair my Sena SMH10 to my iPhone using the A2DP profile and get stereo music (playlist, Pandora, XM Internet) plus Siri voice control, phone, etc. I can then pair the Z220 to the Sena using the HFP profile and get voice guidance from the Zumo. This way I have both devices connected to the Sena via BT, and I get full voice control of my iPhone and stereo sound from it. With the Zumo 660/665, I'd have to pair the iPhone to the Zumo (using HFP), and Zumo to Sena (using A2DP), so I lose voice control of the iPhone and don't get stereo music from the iPhone. If there's one advantage of the Zumo 220/350 over the 660/665 IMO it's this.

Hopefully, the 660/665 replacement will allow the user to pick which profile (HFP vs. A2DP) they want to pair with.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #42
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Music/audiobook playback (broken on the 66x series though if you need to use it through Bluetooth and care about music quality).

Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity.
This wouldn't be a big deal as the popularity of BT headsets and smart phones makes much of what the 660 does redundant, but I have to agree that bringing in a unit that doesn't have those features and at the same price point as the 660 doesn't make sense even with the 350's better screen.

Albie screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 12:14 PM
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #43
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
And what of the 340, has anything been published about it? Price, features, release date?
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=115830

Looks the same spec/feature wise, maybe the Euro version kinda like the dif between the old ZUMO 500 and 550
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #44
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=115830

Looks the same spec/feature wise, maybe the Euro version kinda like the dif between the old ZUMO 500 and 550
yeah, maybe you're right! the specs don't show any difference other than the map set, that I can see. Neither one comes with the map DVD.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #45
funguseater
n00b

Oddometer: 6
well, I bought a 350 LM here in the UK after good reports in the motorcycle press. Good navigator and features. Only trouble was that the unit would not charge in the cradle. Garmin sent out a replacement, and still no charge. Would only charge through the usb cable, which you cannot use in the cradle of course. So as a motorcycle nav it was not fit for use.

I had to go to my BMW dealer to get a report to say it was not the motorcycle at fault even after I explained it was wired straight to the battery ! (customer service, Halfords). The wiring was correct and showing voltage at the pins, so the BMW report said it must have been the unit.

I eventually managed to get a full refund from halfords. Not sure what to do next, any suggestions on a reliable unit (zumo 660 ?).

Back to using maps at the moment !
funguseater is offline   Reply With Quote