Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #2716
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Pickle View Post
Hi Ladies! I just thought I would poke my head in and say hi. I have a 2009 Kawasaki ER-6n and live in Denver. I've been lurking on this forum for over a year just reading things and being envious of people's ride reports. My husband rides a 2004 Triumph Thruxton and between that and my bike, our adventures are confined to pavement. Although, living near the Rockies definitely means we have plenty of fun roads to ride on.
If you head up to Breckenridge. give me a PM. I'm a pavement person too but I do want to get back to the top of Mt. Evans and Rocky Mountain National Park this summer.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #2717
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang I'm just the other way ... I walk the backs of all my jeans,moto pants ..
I'm something like a 28" inseam... With boots on
That makes two of us!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #2718
Gypsy_Writer
It's all good!

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang I'm just the other way ... I walk the backs of all my jeans,moto pants ..
I'm something like a 28" inseam... With boots on
Preaching to the choir, as it were. I have a 29" inseam and by the time I get pants that fit my butt and legs (because I'm a dancer and have muscles) they are about 4 to 6 inches too long. It drives me NUTTY!

I'm not too short, the rest of the world is just too tall.

If I had to choose between the city and the country, I would choose the ocean.
Gypsy_Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #2719
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,807
Ok ladies ...
This woman is selling out her Stock and getting out of business...
I'm just passing this along.... I don't have any of her gear...

Going out of business Sale.

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #2720
Disco Hamster
made of pudding

Oddometer: 6
Hi all,

I'm new here, and also had some difficulty finding a female-based thread (subscribed to this one once I found it) on this site. I'm a relatively new rider - about 4 years, but I put on a decent amount of miles. I'm now lucky enough to live in an area of the country where I can ride year round . Currently riding an '07 R1200R, which is a much better fit than the S2R1000 and the F650CS I've owned previously (I'm 5'10). I'm looking to get into dirt hopefully sooner rather than later, but for now, I'm pretty much satisfied with pavement - although the R1200R does surprisingly well cutting through a hilly front-yard (long story). Actually there isn't a whole heck of a lot that bike doesn't seem comfortable handling - loose gravel, sand, wet leaves, a foot of standing water, etc. Overall, quite impressed with that sucker.

One thing I do notice about a lot of guys when they find out you ride is suddenly they're all "experts" on motorcycling. I get it: you're a manly man. Um where's your bike today? It's supposed to rain, you say? Huh. Any other ladies notice this phenomenon?

Now don't get me wrong, I welcome good advice from guys or gals, but the competitive nonsense baffles me.

Anyhow, thanks for starting this forum!
Disco Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #2721
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,706
Hello DH! Welcome aboard!

I'm lucky enough that the guys in my area are almost always on two wheels - usually the only times they aren't is when their wives wanna come along and don't want to get helmet head! None of the guys I ride with have wives who ride their own; it's not a hindrance though! Their wives love gravel too, two up!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #2722
Disco Hamster
made of pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Hello DH! Welcome aboard!

I'm lucky enough that the guys in my area are almost always on two wheels - usually the only times they aren't is when their wives wanna come along and don't want to get helmet head! None of the guys I ride with have wives who ride their own; it's not a hindrance though! Their wives love gravel too, two up!

Thanks, HappyCRNA!

Yeah, I had a good group of guys up in CT when my hubby and I lived up there - usually if he was working and I was out for the day, I'd grab his cousin to go for a rip over the mountain (okay, I now realize since living in NC and SC that CT doesn't really know what a mountain is). Maybe it was just the guys I worked with, but they seemed less interested in giving me the scoop on where the good twisties are around here (still have much exploring to do), or for that matter actually RIDING, and more set on proving that they were real bikers. Dunno - maybe it's endemic to that particular age group or industry - lots of chest-thumping. Meh.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #2723
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Just saying hello- Riding my BMW f650gs from Alaska to Patagonia over the next year and have discovered very few females on the road, especially on their own bikes! Were are we all???
Happy riding.
Hewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #2724
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Just saying hello- Riding my BMW f650gs from Alaska to Patagonia over the next year and have discovered very few females on the road, especially on their own bikes! Were are we all???
Happy riding.

In the garage fixing stuff....

Enjoy your trip!!!! Are you doing a ride report we can follow???
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #2725
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Happy riding.
Riding gravel on my KLR650 with my daughter on the xt225

Off to the 1st annual Ladies Ride mid-month.

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #2726
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

I've done 3,800 miles in the last 2 weeks with another 450 miles to go before I arrive home. 5 days were spent at Amerivespa where 40% of the riders were women. Though the majority were riding 200cc or less. I've been seeing more BMWs than normal o this trip (told there was a big BMW event in Keystone about the time I left Breckenridge) and the one thing I noticed was that there are more women riding their own and far fewer riding on the back than the cruisers I normally see. My first gas stop had 3 BMW, 2 ridden by males and one by a female, 1 rental Harley Glide with a couple from Amsterdam riding it.

I spent today riding through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons where I saw much larger than normal number of women riding their own bikes both cruisers and various BMW. Sports bike were as best I could tell all male. Though I think there were still more women riding on the back than their own bikes. I did see a few dads with daughters and two guys on one bike.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #2727
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Maybe I just need to head further south then. They say Alaska is 10 to one male to female ratio anyway, so I guess that makes sense with the bikes too!
Ride report stalling with technical joys. Will get back to Seattle and sort them out and see how I go from there. And where was the all women's ride?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #2728
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe I just need to head further south then. They say Alaska is 10 to one male to female ratio anyway, so I guess that makes sense with the bikes too!
Ride report stalling with technical joys. Will get back to Seattle and sort them out and see how I go from there. And where was the all women's ride?
Yellowstone National Park is where I noticed the highest percentage of women riders.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #2729
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,032
Ooooo, more chicks!

Katherine, riding an F650GS in Germany. Passed my big bike exam over here last September, license in October, bike in November. 9K+ kms so far. I do a lot of my own maintenance. I mostly commute and do some touring. I've already done a track day (not on the F) with mixed success.

This board seems to be full of interestig people who do stuff. I like that.

What I like about the bike - it's lowered, great confidence-builder. It goes everywhere (sorry, work, I didn't mean to trash the lawn...). It's comfy. It is fuel efficient. I can see for miles from the seat, which is great for touring. The boxes are nice - get bigger or smaller however you need them. I love yellow bikes. It makes me grin! Maintenance is not that challenging.

What I don't like - not much. It's a bit of a vibrator. Some days it's kind of fussy.

atomicalex screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 07:49 AM
atomicalex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #2730
Disco Hamster
made of pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Ooooo, more chicks!

Katherine, riding an F650GS in Germany. Passed my big bike exam over here last September, license in October, bike in November. 9K+ kms so far. I do a lot of my own maintenance. I mostly commute and do some touring. I've already done a track day (not on the F) with mixed success.

This board seems to be full of interestig people who do stuff. I like that.

What I like about the bike - it's lowered, great confidence-builder. It goes everywhere (sorry, work, I didn't mean to trash the lawn...). It's comfy. It is fuel efficient. I can see for miles from the seat, which is great for touring. The boxes are nice - get bigger or smaller however you need them. I love yellow bikes. It makes me grin! Maintenance is not that challenging.

What I don't like - not much. It's a bit of a vibrator. Some days it's kind of fussy.
Hey Katherine!

What year is your F650? They were originally introduced as a single cylinder, which are notoriously buzzy, but came out later as a twin (with an 798cc engine in '08 I want to say), and now from what I hear the newer ones are going to be labeled F700 - because continuing to mark them as F650 was "confusing people" . BMW certainly has an odd sense of humor. They stopped making the CS ('01 - '05), which is a shame, cause it was an amazing "beginner bike", but it had the same Rotax engine as the other F650's did (up till '07). I remember mine having a bit of a "personality", haha. The fuel injection and the dual sparkies helped quite a bit with the vibrating on the more recent models ('00 - present). They're quite smooth, by single standards - there's a reason they're called "thumpers", haha.
The buzzing/vibrating certainly got to me on longer trips, but it was great for short 40-50mi commutes. I do miss that bike (you always remember your first love, right?), it was loads of fun, but the R1200R I have now is far better suited to my needs nowadays.

Question - I've heard some European countries employ a strict licensing program for motorcycles/cars. Under a certain cc (you mentioned you passed your big bike exam), or you are required to have scooter, then motorcycle, then car training? Personally, I think it's a brilliant idea (if it is in fact the case) that you should have to go through some sort of scooter/motorcycle training before getting trained and licensed for a car. Might cut down on the number of car-motorcycle collisions if there were more awareness. Dunno.

Anyhow, stay safe out there!