ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #16
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,087
My understanding of Stage II is marked forest roads, with exceptions for routes indicated on the MVUM. I take this to mean single track on the MVUM is OK. Single track not on the MVUM is even more forbidden than usual.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,323
MVUM is the word.......

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
AtomicGeo OP
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 4,047
Been raining here last few days; good soaking each day. It's suppose to rain more all week. Can't imagine going to III at this point.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
MVUM is the word.......
I don't think there is an MVUM yet for the Santa Fe Forest. They published their final EIS and a Record of Decision that will lead to an active MVUM no earlier than about Oct 20. If there are appeals as there surely will be, the MVUM will not take effect until all appeals are dealt with (which will probably be rejected out of hand).

The ROD states that not all trails and roads in the Alternative chosen will be on the first version of the MVUM until "issues are resolved".

Nearly all the trails we ride in the forest would be perfectly legal to ride were it not for the Stage II restrictions.

The rule in the forest now (before Travel Management) is that you can take motor vehicles anywhere you want as long as it is not in a special Motorized Travel Restricted Area or Wilderness Area. There aren't too many of these in the Jemez area of the SFNF.

A few of the trails do go thru private land and this is another issue.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I don't think there is an MVUM yet for the Santa Fe Forest. They published their final EIS and a Record of Decision that will lead to an active MVUM no earlier than about Oct 20. If there are appeals as there surely will be, the MVUM will not take effect until all appeals are dealt with (which will probably be rejected out of hand).

The ROD states that not all trails and roads in the Alternative chosen will be on the first version of the MVUM until "issues are resolved".

Nearly all the trails we ride in the forest would be perfectly legal to ride were it not for the Stage II restrictions.

The rule in the forest now (before Travel Management) is that you can take motor vehicles anywhere you want as long as it is not in a special Motorized Travel Restricted Area or Wilderness Area. There aren't too many of these in the Jemez area of the SFNF.

A few of the trails do go thru private land and this is another issue.
Well, that sucks.

I know guys that sometimes ride the "secondary" trails in our area. I'm letting them know that they should stay off them while Class II restrictions are in place, as the penalties for violation are significantly higher.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer View Post

Stop by next time...I live off of NM4.

Looks like stage II by what you said.
Hi Geo!

I was riding with Gordy and wife and headed to Chimayo for lunch. Beautiful day for some street riding!

Love to stop by for a visit sometime!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Thanks wb...I was always curious how they did that. Knowing the vast number of roads and access points, it seems an impossible task to actually close it or guarantee making everyone aware of it. I can see the camping being the biggest concern, of course.
It's closed to us honest people. Night time people that don't care its still open. Just one of those deals.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #23
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Hi Geo!

I was riding with Gordy and wife and headed to Chimayo for lunch. Beautiful day for some street riding!

Love to stop by for a visit sometime!
Watch out around Chimayo, we were coming home from a ride in the Carson, a tribal cop wrote me for 52 in a 45. I had a line of cars behind me as I was pulling 3 bikes. At least it was only $65 with no points if paid in 30 days. Talk about a shakedown.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Watch out around Chimayo, we were coming home from a ride in the Carson, a tribal cop wrote me for 52 in a 45. I had a line of cars behind me as I was pulling 3 bikes. At least it was only $65 with no points if paid in 30 days. Talk about a shakedown.
We saw lots of LEO's out yesterday, but none in the Cundiyo or Chimayo areas. Mostly near Jemez Springs, Hwy. 550 and north Hwy. 14.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
We saw lots of LEO's out yesterday, but none in the Cundiyo or Chimayo areas. Mostly near Jemez Springs, Hwy. 550 and north Hwy. 14.
I drove to Santa Fe yesterday via the Jemez, and I saw lots of LEOs waiting to bust folks, and in the process of busting folks. Tribal, sheriff deputies, troopers. They were all bringing home the bacon yesterday.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #26
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 520
I called the Santa Fe National Forest office in Santa Fe. Person I spoke with wasn't sure and transferred my call to Jemez district. This spokesperson indicated the roads never reopened. I pointed where she was wrong and that some, including fhe dome road had reoponed. Basically she had no idea of current closures or any imminent closures in next couple of days. Bottom line, go with what's posted on their website in hopes that this information is correct.

Per phone call with BLM; The BLM portion of Buckman is still at Stage I, SF National Forest in that area is at Stage II.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #27
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 395
My highly placed source (the guy behind the counter at the store in La Cueva) says they were all set to go to Stage III last weekend, but held off due to the forecast for this week. He said they are planning to go down to Stage I if the monsoon is here for real.

Not a super definitive source, but sounds like he knows a crapload more than the folks at the SFNF office.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,828
The monsoon season just started here, 45min of hard rain and hail.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote