User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 199 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #24406
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,552
Got talked into going riding (pushie) this AM. Start time 0700. Ugh. I AM NOT a morning person.

3:25 moving time. 4:00 overall

I'm tired. ..and I think I'm supposed to do another ride very similar tomorrow too!

Happy 4th of July folks. May your BBQs be fun and booze-filled!

M
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #24407
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,381
Ouch... nap time; then fireworks. Hope you guys got in a ride today.

Ridge screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 11:50 AM
Ridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #24408
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It was very bitter, and the taste was overpowering. 'Skunky' is a good way to describe it; if you could convert the noxious odor of a skunk into a flavor, that's what it would be like.
IPA's (India Pale Ale) are supposed to be rather bitter and strong. I suppose its an acquired taste, like single malt whisky.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #24409
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,513
Broken spoke on the fancy Roubiax rear wheel has that part at the shop. The LBS had to order a spoke, (Specialized shop)... So much for that.

So, instead I'm at work, riding my ergo-chair and waiting on software... Server disconnects... And so it goes.

The hope remains the wheel being ready Friday, then I can ride Saturday and Sunday.
Last night my lower back flared up into spasms. It wasn't a fun night.

I should get out of here before dark so I can beat the crowds away from the beach and get home to the hot tub and a nap.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #24410
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
IPA's (India Pale Ale) are supposed to be rather bitter and strong. I suppose its an acquired taste, like single malt whisky.
Double IPA's are my achilles. I will do stupid human tricks for those and some of the Belgian Tripples...
Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #24411
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
Good ride on the MTB this morning. Saw lots of critters; what was either a bobcat or young bear hauling ass up a hillside, chased a buck deer for a bit, saw some very recent tracks from a good-sized mountain lion and ran across (almost literally) a particularly grouchy rattlesnake. Also saw a fair number of riders, all of which were minding their P's and Q's, which is heartening.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #24412
blackfriar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Got in 22 miles this morning...87 degrees at 0930. Will get out a little earlier tomorrow as it is supposed to be hotter. Fireworks in downtown GB tonight.
2009 KLR 650 sold
2011 BMW R1200GSA
blackfriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #24413
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,991
On this day last year I was lying in a hospital bed, awaiting the operation to repair my femur which I'd broken in a bicycle accident hours earlier. In memory of that occasion, I decided this morning to take another shot at a challenging technical trail which I'd yet to do a perfect run through. Fortunately I recorded the whole thing on video, because today I made it all the way without incident in 9 minutes flat. A video made in 2010 shows racers doing it in 7 minutes, so matching that time will be my long term goal. I can see right away that my biggest impediment is weak legs. Pedaling uphill through the toughest rock gardens had to be done while standing on the pedals, which wore me out in no time at all. Prior to my accident last year, I was doing three sets of ten reps on the leg press, using the entire 620 lb weight stack, so my year long absence from the gym has obviously had disastrous results. Luckily the solution is just a matter of resuming my weight training.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #24414
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
On this day last year I was lying in a hospital bed, awaiting the operation to repair my femur which I'd broken in a bicycle accident hours earlier. In memory of that occasion, I decided this morning to take another shot at a challenging technical trail which I'd yet to do a perfect run through. Fortunately I recorded the whole thing on video, because today I made it all the way without incident in 9 minutes flat. A video made in 2010 shows racers doing it in 7 minutes, so matching that time will be my long term goal. I can see right away that my biggest impediment is weak legs. Pedaling uphill through the toughest rock gardens had to be done while standing on the pedals, which wore me out in no time at all. Prior to my accident last year, I was doing three sets of ten reps on the leg press, using the entire 620 lb weight stack, so my year long absence from the gym has obviously had disastrous results. Luckily the solution is just a matter of resuming my weight training.
Good deal and congratulations. Keep up the riding and you'll be hitting that 7 minutes in no time.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #24415
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Broken spoke on the fancy Roubiax rear wheel has that part at the shop. The LBS had to order a spoke, (Specialized shop)... So much for that.

So, instead I'm at work, riding my ergo-chair and waiting on software... Server disconnects... And so it goes.

The hope remains the wheel being ready Friday, then I can ride Saturday and Sunday.
Last night my lower back flared up into spasms. It wasn't a fun night.

I should get out of here before dark so I can beat the crowds away from the beach and get home to the hot tub and a nap.
Hope it works out.

I popped an impossible-to-find Ultegra spoke (my own fault, something fell out of my bento box and into the rear wheel) about two months ago. Really difficult to find a shop with one in stock, but after about 45min of calling around, I found one. Big shout out to Velo Pasadena for the amazing 15minute turn-around in a busy shop on a big sale day to get me sorted. Good crew over there. Even if the owner's son was selling a $$$$ TT bike to a fat dude being egged on by a buddy.

"So I can just wear normal shoes on these pedals, right?"

"Umm. We have flat pedals, but on a bike like this, you'll probably want to wear cleats."

I hope it doesn't become a shirt rack. It was a nice bike.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #24416
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
..... Even if the owner's son was selling a $$$$ TT bike to a fat dude being egged on by a buddy.

"So I can just wear normal shoes on these pedals, right?"

"Umm. We have flat pedals, but on a bike like this, you'll probably want to wear cleats."

I hope it doesn't become a shirt rack. It was a nice bike.
Coming soon to a Craigslist listing near you....
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #24417
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Coming soon to a Craigslist listing near you....

Or the other extreme...

"If I get that Cat Eye, it's 40g lighter than my Giro helmet and I'll be more aero! I need the new carbon fiber Sidis. These shoes are too heavy. Do you have any lighter energy bars?"
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #24418
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post

Or the other extreme...

"If I get that Cat Eye, it's 40g lighter than my Giro helmet and I'll be more aero! I need the new carbon fiber Sidis. These shoes are too heavy. Do you have any lighter energy bars?"
I am just about to get into MTBing, hopefully getting a bike tonight actually. If I ever start asking these questions, unless I am on a sponsored race team, one of y'all had better come to Tyler and slap me once right across the face. I'll buy you a brew for the trouble
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #24419
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,623
Hmm. So if we smack you we get beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #24420
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Hmm. So if we smack you we get beer...

Only for the right reasons
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: