Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #481
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
It was"proper"for years,till the popularity of drivers like Dale Jr. and huge TV contracts,just freeze the cars where they are when the yellow comes out,no damn lucky dog needed!
Other then his Danica garbage, I vote pbarmy to run the show. He knows it extremely well. He can let a lawyer overide his gender issues, and hire some others to manage the rest of the crap. Let him get the racing right!

Then throw out all those trackside media creeps.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #482
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Other then his Danica garbage, I vote pbarmy to run the show. He knows it extremely well. He can let a lawyer overide his gender issues, and hire some others to manage the rest of the crap. Let him get the racing right!

Then throw out all those trackside media creeps.

Hey your not so bad (for a Bruins fan!)Hey I love the Celtics tho!And I also like Erica Enders,the Force girls,Sarah Fisher,and several women motocrossers/enduro riders.Its like Jr,its not him,its his fans!
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #483
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Nobody acknowledged post #467. So I'll say it again: one thing which has made the current F1 season one of the most entertaining in the history of the sport, is the volatility of the tires.

If they're less durable, if they're unpredictable, if cars need to be set-up to allow for tire decay, you've used modern technology to return to an old-timey problem. And you may open up the racing.

TLDR: Crappy tires make better racing.

They run em until they pop right now, tires coming apart would cause more yellers.

The cars are so much safer and stronger, I'd like to see a return of concrete walls at some tracks. Let some of the brats see what concrete feels like to weed them out of the sport.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #484
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Ironic that you post that as we just had the 12th anniversary of the passing of Adam Petty from hitting a concrete wall at Loudon. Tomorrow is the 12th anniversary of Kenny Irwin dying from hitting the same wall.

Hell of a way to weed them out donchathink?

Oh come, those guys were in those little tiny cars without a Hans device.

Good live interview with Danica streaming at nascar.com right now.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #485
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,140
Nationwide would have at least one dead driver this season, without the SAFER barriers. Can't remember the guy's name, but he did a Dale Earnhardt into the infield wall at Daytona, I think it was. Horrible collision. The wall saved him.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #486
larryboy
Paint it black.

That's why I said, "some tracks". Calm down, I don't wanna kill 'em. They could learn a little at Martinsville with a destroyed car instead of the current bumper cars they are playing. Don't forget how much bigger and safer the car is.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #487
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
Ironic that you post that as we just had the 12th anniversary of the passing of Adam Petty from hitting a concrete wall at Loudon. Tomorrow is the 12th anniversary of Kenny Irwin dying from hitting the same wall.

Hell of a way to weed them out donchathink?
Yeah that still rips my heart out. I thought Adam was destined to greatness. I didn't follow Kenny. The Safer Barrier is a great thing and also the kneck braces they wear now. I wish they would have thought of it a few years sooner.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #488
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Yeah that still rips my heart out. I thought Adam was destined to greatness. I didn't follow Kenny. The Safer Barrier is a great thing and also the kneck braces they wear now. I wish they would have thought of it a few years sooner.

I think the biggest improvement has been the car itself and the seat. Look at that hit Jeff Gordon took in that open concrete slot that used to be at Vegas. I'm not even sure that the SAFER wall is even needed with all the improvements made in other areas.

The "noose" was an allowed option when Dale died.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #489
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I think the biggest improvement has been the car itself and the seat. Look at that hit Jeff Gordon took in that open concrete slot that used to be at Vegas. I'm not even sure that the SAFER wall is even needed with all the improvements made in other areas.

The "noose" was an allowed option when Dale died.
So what do you think? I am puzzled by your response. Go backwards?

We all saw what Dale wore for safety. Open faced helmet, those 99 cent goggles, and he never wore the noose. I mean I had those goggles in 1964 racing karts as a kid... Dale would be alive today if he just respected the consequences.

For a guy at the very top of his sport for such a long time, he was a bit of a fool.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #490
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
So what do you think? I am puzzled by your response. Go backwards?

We all saw what Dale wore for safety. Open faced helmet, those 99 cent goggles, and he never wore the noose. I mean I had those goggles in 1964 racing karts as a kid... Dale would be alive today if he just respected the consequences.

For a guy at the very top of his sport for such a long time, he was a bit of a fool.

It would improve the sport if the drivers had to stay off the concrete at the smaller tracks. The car itself is so much safer that the SAFER isn't needed at some tracks IMHO. There are a ton of tracks out there that don't have the barriers and the HANS device is saving lives.

If you term it "backwards", I'm fine with that.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #491
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
I'm in the "all of the above" camp. If you saw Danica's wreck last night, you wouldn't be so sanguine about removing the SAFER barriers. It was a killer strike.

I agree that safer cars and tracks make for more reckless driving. I disagree strongly that the solution is to make the tracks less safe.

For one thing, all it might -- might -- change is the driving at that particular track. Drivers are smart, changing one track won't affect how they drive at all tracks.

For a second thing, the cars still get damaged when they hit the wall. It's not as if there are no consequences to their chances of winning the race, if they hit a wall.

I just don't think the way to make NASCAR more interesting is to make it more dangerous. I think the fundamental problem is that technology has changed the challenge of racing at the top level in all series. Not just in terms of safety, but in terms of reliability and performance. A 500 mile race used to be a mechanical challenge. Now it's a drone. And then there's the homogenization of parts and design, to save money.

F1's solution has been to counter-act some of the technological advances. Weaker tires by design. A Drag Reduction System to create a passing zone and reduce the aero liability. And then there's the most expensive (and unintended) way to create close racing: almost annual rules changes, which have the effect of leveling the playing field for about a season or so.

What were we talking about again?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #492
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:

What were we talking about again?

What?

Danica's most recent wreck is a direct result of "no consequences" racing, she kept steering into the slide trying to save the race instead of turning the wheel left and locking it down to save the car. Interesting that she never took the window net down.

Go Kurt Busch!!! WTF am I liking that arsehole? I love me an underdawg!!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #493
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
What?

Danica's most recent wreck is a direct result of "no consequences" racing, she kept steering into the slide trying to save the race instead of turning the wheel left and locking it down to save the car. Interesting that she never took the window net down.

Go Kurt Busch!!! WTF am I liking that arsehole? I love me an underdawg!!
I think we'll have to disagree on whether or not that car could be saved.

I like the other asshole, Kurt's brother. Massively talented driver.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #494
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
I think we'll have to disagree on whether or not that car could be saved.

Can we agree that she never even tried to lock it down?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #495
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Can we agree that she never even tried to lock it down?
She tried to save it. Since neither you nor I are race car drivers (you're not, are you? ) I'm not sure we're the ones to be second-guessing how a driver handles an out-of-control car sliding sideways at 180 mph.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan