Old 07-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #13396
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Here's the link to 6536: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=6536

And he says:

Despite what the above reads, I was also under the impression you need dealertool to clear the service indicator. I'm almost up to 5k miles though, and I have all the above mentioned, so I'll give it a go when the time comes.

BTW, I don't think you need to start the bike as mentioned in #5 to see codes. You can just turn the ignition on. Of course if you want to see parameters of certain sensors, you'll have to start it. If you don't start it, pull the headlight fuses to keep the battery from draining (this is more important for tuneecu).
Very curious about this, since my service reminder has been on for the last 8000 miles :) I started thinking about resetting engine codes and why that would reset the service reminder light using torque, but won't do so using tuneecu. I don't have torque and a bluetooth dongle, but I do have tuneecu and a cable. So I pulled a coil plug to set a code, and then tried clearing it with tuneecu. As I expected it had no effect on the service reminder indicator. To that end I have trouble believing resetting codes with torque will be any different. My understanding of the service reminder is the functionality is stored in the instrument cluster, not in the ECU. The miles to activate can actually be set as desired. SInce torque doesn't seem to access that function I am again doubtful that it can reset the service reminder at all.

I'd love to hear from someone who has done this with torque on a Tiger 800, not any other triumph model. A google search didn't yield anything of interest.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #13397
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein67 View Post
Mine is doing the same. It was a demo and I think they used something to try to clean the shoe scuffs off of it from people getting on and off and whatever they used attacked the vinyl. It was like that when I got it. I didn't do anything to it.
Yeah, gotta be that... A dealer telling you to put what is essentially oil on your seat is a f**king tool anyway.

I remember being able to trust my (Car) dealer's service mgr with my life, now I can't believe a word they say (service managers), it's always bullshit to make some other point or prevent having to do something or pay for something. As though they're really advancing the cause of ANYONE by bullshitting customers. Neither the dealer, the brand, the customer, nor the problem itself is helped by that.

You need to find someone you can trust for advice (which could be a tech at the same dealer even), and then tell the dealer (front of house/sales) you don't need oil on your seat, you need a new one -- and they need to stop wiping the bikes down with rags with brake fluid on them or whatever it is. You might want to check other soft bits for crazing or other signs of chemical distress, too.

Oiling a seat WTF!

Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #13398
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Very curious about this, since my service reminder has been on for the last 8000 miles :)
Mine was left on by the dealer at 10k kms, when I went in to change the oil etc., until the 20k service. It boils down to having to ride over there, ask them to please pop the seat and plug in, watch him go through whatever facial expressions suit him before I find out what a favour it is... or skipping it as unnecessary since the service interval is not related to faults, just a mileage counter.

I wanted to try out the bluetooth dongle anyway... It's been plugged in 24x7 for over a week with no issues, but then again the bike almost never goes more than 16 hours between rides. Next time the wrench comes on I'll try blipping it in Torque.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #13399
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Mine was left on by the dealer at 10k kms, when I went in to change the oil etc., until the 20k service. It boils down to having to ride over there, ask them to please pop the seat and plug in, watch him go through whatever facial expressions suit him before I find out what a favour it is... or skipping it as unnecessary since the service interval is not related to faults, just a mileage counter.

I wanted to try out the bluetooth dongle anyway... It's been plugged in 24x7 for over a week with no issues, but then again the bike almost never goes more than 16 hours between rides. Next time the wrench comes on I'll try blipping it in Torque.
I use tuneecu, torque and Dealertool. Dealertool is the only one that will allow you to reset the maintenance counter.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #13400
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin1 View Post
I use tuneecu, torque and Dealertool. Dealertool is the only one that will allow you to reset the maintenance counter.

Jim
That's what I thought. Where in Florida are you - in case I need my service indicator cleared?
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #13401
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin1 View Post
i use tuneecu, torque and dealertool. Dealertool is the only one that will allow you to reset the maintenance counter.

Jim
+1
KildareMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #13402
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,963
FWIW I've got an OEM seat for sale in FM.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post19084367
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #13403
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,396
Been gone on a 10 day ride on the Tiger. It was killer! Zero problems except for bashing my center stand into the ground. I haven't assessed the entire bike yet but other than damage that I caused I would say the tiger held up very well!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #13404
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,423
Yours is outfitted well, would like to hear more about your ride.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #13405
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylent View Post
So my new tiger has shed 3 of 4 indicators in under a week. Seems like the heat has made them super soft and high speed wind or light pressure makes the rubber crack and tear. My front signals are being held on with gorilla tape right now, and right rear is duct taped to the side of the bike. Anyone else having problems with this? Bike has not been down. Its almost as if I have a turn signal gremlin chewing on them at night!

Other than that. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!
My left front was found broken on a ride just Friday. I was thinking maybe the factory or dealer torqued it too tight? The dealer is going to cover it. Mine is 2012 I've had for little over one week. I super glued mine till the dealer gets the new part in.
Could be a heat issue, maybe. It's been hot here in WNC, but I tend to think it's a bad batch of plastic/rubber that the indicator is made of.

dirtconnector screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 07:10 PM
dirtconnector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #13406
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
Yeah, gotta be that... A dealer telling you to put what is essentially oil on your seat is a f**king tool anyway.

I remember being able to trust my (Car) dealer's service mgr with my life, now I can't believe a word they say (service managers), it's always bullshit to make some other point or prevent having to do something or pay for something. As though they're really advancing the cause of ANYONE by bullshitting customers. Neither the dealer, the brand, the customer, nor the problem itself is helped by that.

You need to find someone you can trust for advice (which could be a tech at the same dealer even), and then tell the dealer (front of house/sales) you don't need oil on your seat, you need a new one -- and they need to stop wiping the bikes down with rags with brake fluid on them or whatever it is. You might want to check other soft bits for crazing or other signs of chemical distress, too.

Oiling a seat WTF!

+1

Don't use anything w/ oil on fabrics or plastics that will be in the sun.

I've used this stuff for years: http://303products.com/index.php/home/
Good info on vinyl care in the tech pages.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #13407
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
That's what I thought. Where in Florida are you - in case I need my service indicator cleared?
Tampabay area. Anytime, I would be happy to.
Although I think dealertool is matched to the bikes ECM serial number. You can have multiple users for about $30 per vin.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #13408
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtconnector View Post
+1

Don't use anything w/ oil on fabrics or plastics that will be in the sun.

I've used this stuff for years: http://303products.com/index.php/home/
Good info on vinyl care in the tech pages.

+1
I was going to mention this but always seems to fall on deaf ears. 303 wha...????

Also an amazing bike detailer. Hose off, spray tires and engine with simple green, scrub down with a wash mitt and car wash soap, hose off, dry, spray engine and metal bits with WD40, everything else with 303, wipe down. Bike will look like new again.

Tires, bumpers, interiors, weather strips, vinyl tops, any black trim, plastic, even fiberglass. The stuff is amazing.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #13409
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Yours is outfitted well, would like to hear more about your ride.
Im finishing a ride report. I'll pass along the address when I'm done.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #13410
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
+1
I was going to mention this but always seems to fall on deaf ears. 303 wha...????

Also an amazing bike detailer. Hose off, spray tires and engine with simple green, scrub down with a wash mitt and car wash soap, hose off, dry, spray engine and metal bits with WD40, everything else with 303, wipe down. Bike will look like new again.

Tires, bumpers, interiors, weather strips, vinyl tops, any black trim, plastic, even fiberglass. The stuff is amazing.
Careful with the Simple Green. It will take the finish off the engine very quickly unless it's diluted etc. - a friend made a huge mess of his S3 by using Simple Green on his engine.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote