TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #3092
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
Does this look uncomfortable?

Sorry, but comfort has nothing to do with the size of the load you carry.
That could get REALLY uncomfortable really fast if the wind blew hard enough, the ground was too soft, etc. I always keep my bike parked far enough from my tent that if it would fall over for whatever reason, it won't land on me or my tent.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #3093
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Laugh I took all of this crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post

Top duffle has 0* mummy bag and nice comfy air matress rolled up inside. Lower duffle has tent, ground cover, camp chair, hachett, folding shovel, extra bungees, tennis shoes, folding saw and water bladder. One side bag carries clothes, usually enough for 4 days, netbook and air pump for the mattress. other side bag carries all cooking equip, bear spray, 4 days worth of back packers food usually oatmeal and mountain house entrees', misc utensils, rope and other various assorted goodies for camping. Top box has insulated bib overalls, first aid kit, tow strap, siphon hose, jumper cables, raingear spare tubes, 2 different ways to inflate, tire patch kit, can of fix a flat slim and a 2 qt bottle of water. Tool tube, well it has tools in it. Handle bar bag, leatherman, phone charger, zip ties, sun screen, sun glasses and reading glasses, tire gauge and whatever else I can get in it. Ready to roll and this set up goes with me anytime I'm going for more than a couple of days, approx 70-80 lbs. Did the TAT with this setup and no, big bike by-passes weren't taken.
and didn't use any of it in regards to camping. . 5 days I had turned into only 2 days and I didn't camp the 1 night that I was out. I had it if I needed it and it didn't hinder my riding at all. How's that for over prepared?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #3094
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 291
+1 TwoShots

Nothing less than a Redverz Tenere II for me.

Sure, it's huge... Sure I can stand up in it or sit on my chair in the porch, in comfort, in the pouring rain, sure it takes more space and is a little heavier to pack...

And you know what... I love every damn square inch of it!

I've done it rough and lean for too many years now... I've earnt my bit'o'space and I enjoy every second I'm away in it!

Don't confuse packing light and lean with 'comfort'... The word you are looking for is 'comfortable'. Sounds like comfort, but they ain't the same thing.

OG
Old 07-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #3095
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post

A black tent? Is that the KTM tent? Hope it's only used at night and gets packed up at first light, otherwise hat must be a sauna during the day.

Whats the thing on the right? Campsite kitchen table setup?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #3096
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350

2x 38oz Naglen Bottles
2x Naglen cups
Jet Boil
2 Large fuel bottles for Jet Boil
Cook Kit; pan, pot, 2 plates, 2 cups, spoon and cleaning rag.
Jet Boil frying pan
Pillow
Air Mattress
Camp Towel
Jungle Hammock
Straps, stakes, mallet and carbineers for Hammock
100’ 550 cord
30 deg Down sleeping bag
4x socks, undies, shirts, 1 pair jeans, gloves and nit hat
Fleece jacket
Pair of sneakers
Fleece blanket
4 stuff sacks for clothes, bag and blanket
Camp Chair
Soft sided cooler
Quart of oil

All fits into the saddle bags and the water proof bag.

Riding gear:
Jacket
Ventalated Pants
2x gloves, one summer one waterproof
Boots
Camelback 70 oz blader
Brain Bucket
CZ SP01 Pistol

Does not count what I keep in the bikes bags:
Water Filter
Hygiene kit; tooth paste, tooth brush, baby wipes, toilet paper, first aid kit.
Tire PSI gauge, pump and repair kit.
Couple garbage bags, miss stuff.

CAMP!

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #3097
Ramseybella
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I love how every forum has different ways that members flex their e-muscles. At advrider, inmates flex their e-penises by talking shit about guys who pack too much and brag about how little that they pack. If you can get by with light luggage, good for you. However, no need for the snide comments toward those that can't pack light or choose not to. If it works for them, so be it.

This isn't directed at those who give helpful advice about packing light. I think everyone knows the type I'm talking about.
Well spoken some don't understand some folks are big I am 6'3" 300+ pounds try finding clothing, sleeping bag, small shoes and such at REI?
When your big you have no choice but own big cloths and all the things that are for big guys.....
I was picked on for a three day rig shown in photo the stock side bags on the Triumph suck until I bought the Trax cans.

I done away with the side mount tank bags and the OB duffel added a gas can came in handy a few times.
Lately (not shown in photos) I use a Army compression duffel that I cram my cloths, Down sleeping bag, Down vest, small pillow and tent into and compress the crap out of it so the only thing I strap to the side bag is my Therm-a-Rest (bones are getting old)!!
I have rain clothing, tire repair kit chain lube some tools water camp stove in one bag, cook set camp shoes first aid kit and stove gas 45 semi automatic Ruger in the other can.

Also if your out far away from Food and water you need to haul that stuff as well but yes if your around food get it before you plan to camp or set up and get your food.

Did I mention Zip ties, JB weld and blue lock-tight?

So folks ease up!! You can clearly see he missed the spare tire not the kitchen sink. (o:

Ramseybella screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 09:32 PM
Ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #3098
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
The tent.....

Yes, It's the KTM tent that comes with the bike garage. I leave the garage at home unless we're going somewhere that we'd have a base camp setup. I'm usually up, packed up and moving by 7:30 am when I'm on the trail. The tent itself is orange, the fly is black, and you're right it would be pretty warm if it were up on a hot day. The piece on the right was a burned out gas BBQ that I'm assuming the kids who last partied at this campsite left there. It worked just fine for my 4th corner of the tarp, for a thunderstorm that dropped rain about as hard as I've ever seen it rain. I could hear frogs drowning from my tent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
A black tent? Is that the KTM tent? Hope it's only used at night and gets packed up at first light, otherwise hat must be a sauna during the day.

Whats the thing on the right? Campsite kitchen table setup?
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #3099
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,896
Unigo

Anybody out there pulling a Unigo trailer?
Thinking about one for my K1200 RS which will be situated in the Southwest and used for exploring the lower 48. My GS with Jesse bags has spoiled me with all its luggage capacity and I want to be self-sufficient for 30-40 day excursions. Putting all my camping/cooking gear for extended moto-trips on the back of the Brick appears to be very cumbersome.
Please hold off on your "try carrying less shit" comments.
Whataya got?
Fite
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #3100
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,800
I don't have a Unigo but I do have a good friend that has one and loves it. He has be towing it for about the last 10 years behind a number of different motorcycles. Now he tows it behind his Ural sidecar rig. It has served him well and he says he doesn't know it's back there.

If you will be sticking with pavement the Unigo might be just the thing. If you plan to hit some gravel/dirt you might want to check out a Moto-Mule: http://www.moto-mule.com/trailers.html
Mr. Fisherman is out right now towing his behind his WR250 and seems to be having a good time. Here's his ride report that he has been adding to along the way: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798205

Here's a photo of Apple Jam towing his when he and his wife attended the Hells Canyon Gathering. His wife just started riding and camping with him last year and he wants to be sure he has everything along to make the trip enjoyable for both of them. They were on a week long adventure camping along the way:

If you want to get info about the Moto-Mule send either Apple Jam or Mr. Fisherman a PM I'm sure either of them will be happy to give you their impressions of towing the trailers.

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #3101
Sciii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
My Tenere 600 and equipment im Syrian desert...

It`s winter gear, on the Elefantentreffen in Germany...

Sciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #3102
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Oddometer: 215
This has been the best page (208) in this thread so far...
- 6 different brands of bikes
- Pictures of not only the campground but everything unpacked and then shown packed and loaded
- Some dude welded frikking SKIS on his bike to ride in the snow
- and a guy from Washington State packing a gun...

I'm saving this page into my favorites. Pure awesomeness.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
TommyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #3103
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciii View Post
Sciii, we need better pics of this ski set-up. I bet a bunch of us in the North would be itching to do some fabrication come November. I ride year round, so a couple outriggers would be perfect for the days I am snow bound.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #3104
RDT953
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Ski Outrigger thread

You can see the very thing here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554837
Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #3105
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
[QUOTE=JoshBMW;19079709]

That is a very nice neat pack!!!
My gear & luggage roughly the same (small tent instead of hamock). I hope to pack it out as cleanly.