Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
lilmonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Seen in BMW Mag: Saddlemen Adventure Track seats...

I poked around and didn't find anything specific about them, has anyone had any experience with their seats? I saw it for them for the first time in the BMW magazine....but no real reviews or real-world write ups that I can find.

Thanks.

http://www.saddlemen.com/en/products...ure-track-seat

Previous:
2010 BMW F650GS 1989 Honda Transalp 1989 Honda Hawk NT650 1980 Honda Hawk CB400
lilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
lilmonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

just spoke with them....
only been out a couple weeks. No custom color configurations available....damn. Just want to find something that I can match the Rallye seat colors...

Any other experiences with Saddlemen?

Previous:
Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
There's a review over on the 1200GS forum. Seemed positive, but I don't think he really put any miles on it before the review.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Dirtbagralph
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Saddlemen seat

I just got one for my 2011 GSA a couple of weeks ago. For me, the stock seat is OK but not great. For reference, I ride 60 miles a day (work and back) and occasional camping trips of 3 to 500 miles. After reading all the seat threads here, I thought about a Russell but didn't like the idea of sacrificing the stock one.

The other thing, I always felt like I should scoop out the middle inch or so from every motorcycle seat I've ever sat on, to relieve the pressure on, um, well you know where. So when I saw the Saddlemens I thought that's what I need.

I did find a couple of brief reviews on it before I bought it, and it was pretty much like I expected. First, it is very hard, like a Corbin. That's not a bad thing but does take some getting used to. I thought a gel seat would conform to your butt in a short time but this one takes days. The first few days there was a lot of pressure on my butt bones (that's the technical term) but it is getting better each day. I can feel that the seat is starting to conform to my shape.

Most important for me, it does relieve the pressure in the middle, and will probably prevent the dreaded 2 year Beemer boner. As I recall, that guy had a Corbin seat. I normally slump back in the seat, to relieve the pressure on my junk, and end up with a sore lower back on a long trip. I can sit up straighter on this seat and I think it will help

I haven't had it on a multi day trip yet, but I do like it better than the stock seat so far.

Cheers!
Dirtbagralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
thephillykid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
adventure track owner

saddlemen adventure track owner here as well.

I agree with everything the above poster just said. It is very hard. I called saddlemen and they said there is a 1500 mile break in period. I'm on 650 miles in the last couple days , with about 12 hours total so far on it and it does seem like it is breaking in.

Apart from sore sit bones from the break in period, the under-carriage is feeling food on these 4-5 hour trips. I really hope this thing starts getting softer soon though.

Here is an ongoing review on the vstrom forum

http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintena...at-review.html
thephillykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,261
Hmmm. Pack ice in the slot for cooling effect on nads?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
UAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Yep I saw that ad in the MOA as well. This reminded me to do a little digging around about them.

A bicycle chamois or bicycle shorts with a built in chamois is the best thing thing to keep the boys happy. I have both but tend to wear the shorts most of the time under my riding pants. Unless it is really cold the I will use the chamois under long pants then the riding pants. The shorts are mountain bike shorts, so they are not the form fitting shorts like the bicycle road riders wear.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Twawsi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Good to see this info because I have been in the market for a new seat for the past year but being stationed overseas doesnt really help out when it comes to "seeing" seats and trying them out. I too hate the idea of sending my seat out to have it modified and losing my ride for upwards of two months.
I ride from Italy to Germany and back at least once, usually twice a month (10hrs each way). The stocker has literally become a pain in my ass and I have to get a new one now. I ride road/mountain bikes as well so when I saw the saddlemens I thought there had to be something to it. Not really looking forward to my next trip starting in.......one hour. damn.
2012 Bucci 150 Cross
Twawsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Just picked up a 12 F800GS and love everything but the seat, which means it's a genuine BMW seat

Had a Russell Day Long seat on four prior bikes, doing up to 1500 miles in a day with no rear-end complaints. But, on the F800GS, I don't think I want to go with the barcalounger look. If I can get a seat that will give me 500 miles in a day then I'll be happy.

At $360 delivered, without having to supply a seat pan, I'm willing to take a try on the Saddlemen seat. Ordered it from CruiserCustomizing.com.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
lilmonkey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm in the Chicago area...would love have a "seat" day somewhere to try out some different saddles.

I might gamble on one if a couple more positives come back.

Previous:
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #11
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
I'm would like to know if the Saddlemen seat eliminates the slope forward of the stock/low F650GS seat. I may just order one to see how it works out so far as height and comfort.

After reading the reviews on Stromtrooper I'm going to order a seat and see how it works out. I put about 300 miles a week on my bike and after an hour my tailbone is hurting ! My primary goal would be to last in the saddle as long as my tank range, which on the slab could be 3 hours or so.

I'll post up a review once I get it and break it in.

2003 BMW F650GS

ktrout01 screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 08:45 AM Reason: Add comments
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrout01 View Post
I'm would like to know if the Saddlemen seat eliminates the slope forward of the stock/low F650GS seat. I may just order one to see how it works out so far as height and comfort.

After reading the reviews on Stroptrooper I'm going to order a seat and see how it works out. I put about 300 miles a week on my bike and after an hour my tailbone is hurting ! My primary goal would be to last in the saddle as long as my tank range, which on the slab could be 3 hours or so.

I'll post up a review once I get it and break it in.
That's exactly my goal, being able to run a full tank dry without the butt screaming for mercy and the jewels going numb.

Will post lots of pictures and a ride report when it arrives (probably a couple weeks).
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #13
thephillykid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I just did 11 hours straight on the saddlemen

I just did 11 hours straight on the saddlemen from barharbor to Philly, a bit over 600 miles (1600 round trip... I stop and played in acadia). Of course I stopped here and there to stretch and gas up. and although my seat isn't quite broken in yet... and my arse felt a bit sore after, I wasn't in any real discomfort. That said, 11 hours is just WAY long to be riding slab. you are just sitting on one position. so most of the discomfort comes from not being able to move about. FYI I did have a sheepskin on it the whole time.

I know for the vstrom the seat is much more leveled out compared to the stocker.
thephillykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrout01 View Post
This is the reason I'm interested in the seat. I get really tired of having to shift back in the saddle every two minutes.
Tmaximusv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Took the plunge, ordered the seat, it'll be here in a couple weeks. I'll post pics and a report once I get it.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote