Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #4411
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
connection on the overflow tank has a slow weeping leak,.
i was going to just remove and replace the overflow tank because of this but for the life of me could not figure out how to pull it out of the frame, so i painted it up with rtv
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #4412
snakepilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Bartron Partial Canisterectomy

I have performed the above procedure, including installing a Renazco billet filler neck and an in-line one way valve to the scavenge fuel hose. My problem is that I am building pressure inside the tank (fuel vapors normal expansion).
I thought the one way valve would stop the denser fuel from escaping, while allowing some air to exit to accommodate fuel vapors and ,of course, allowing air to come in to fill tank as fuel is depleted. Do I need a different valve, or should I just vent the hose to atmosphere without any valve?

I would appreciate a comment from those that have performed this modification.

TIA,

John

snakepilot screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 08:56 AM
snakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #4413
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
so i painted it up with rtv
I'm sensing a trend that Mookie is fond of RTV.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #4414
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepilot View Post
I have performed the above procedure, including installing a Renazco billet filler neck and an in-line one way valve to the scavenge fuel hose. My problem is that I am building pressure inside the tank (fuel vapors normal expansion).
I thought the one way valve would stop the denser fuel from escaping, while allowing some air to exit to accommodate fuel vapors and ,of course, allowing air to come in to fill tank as fuel is depleted. Do I need a different valve, or should I just vent the hose to atmosphere without any valve?

TIA,

John
I installed the Renazco neck as well but with no valve. I eliminated the evap canister so just cut the hose to the correct length after running it down by the right side of the shock.
I was fueling one day and when I removed the gas cap I noticed a vacuum had built in the tank. Removed the seat to see what was amiss (it's just a rubber line wtf could be the issue? ). The seat bumper that rests on top of the battery hold down was pinching the vent line. Moved the line and zip tied it out of the way.
Gotta give credit to the fuel system on the 690, not even a hiccup out of the engine with a vacuum in the tank.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #4415
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Gotta give credit to the fuel system on the 690....
Well that´s a first!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #4416
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
Well that´s a first!

Gotta throw the dog a bone occasionally.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #4417
snakepilot
Adventurer

Question Canirestomy

Barman,
I appreciate your reply. In your case, the pinched fuel line was the culprit. I do not have any "kinks" on the line, but following the procedures on Bartron's "code orange" thread to do a partial canirestomy and installing the one way valve has not worked as advertised.
I know that lot's of inmates have done this modification, so my question is: have you just vented to the atmosphere as Barman did, or did you use a one way valve? If you did, how is it working out?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #4418
SnapCracklePop
Re-Noobified

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Barman,
I appreciate your reply. In your case, the pinched fuel line was the culprit. I do not have any "kinks" on the line, but following the procedures on Bartron's "code orange" thread to do a partial canirestomy and installing the one way valve has not worked as advertised.
I know that lot's of inmates have done this modification, so my question is: have you just vented to the atmosphere as Barman did, or did you use a one way valve? If you did, how is it working out?

I've been just running the vent to the atmosphere ... been like this for more than 3 years now with zero problems.
I just don't trust those 1-way valves.

'08 KTM 690 Enduro
SnapCracklePop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #4419
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Barman,
I use a valve on my safari tank. I have had problems in the past on particularly dusty rides when it has become blocked and starved the engine of fuel. It was simple enough to unblock by removing, tapping on the handle bars and sucking some air through. Its been pretty reliable otherwise. They recommend atleast 1 inch of vent hose between the pertrol cap and the valve for them to work....maybe thats your problem?
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #4420
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Barman,
I suspect those 1 way valves lock up when the fuel & vapours expand , ie leave your bike sitting in the sun .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #4421
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
i was going to just remove and replace the overflow tank because of this but for the life of me could not figure out how to pull it out of the frame, so i painted it up with rtv
Pretty much the plan. I was hoping with a few heat cycles the rubber grommet thing would expand and seal properly. Now on to plan B - rvt
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #4422
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
I suspect those 1 way valves lock up when the fuel & vapours expand , ie leave your bike sitting in the sun .
Probably the culprit. Both times I've had one lock up it's been riding out in some serious heat. I just stopped using the things and went back to regular hose.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #4423
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Gas Tank/Cap Venting

Quote:

TIA,

John
John,

I have a full cannisterectomy on my 2010 R and I also have the Renazco filler neck and Acerbis cap. I am assuming here that you also have an Acerbis screw-on cap. If so the cap has a center vent recessed into it. I just use a no-slop short hose valve (about 2 1/2 inches high) which allows the tank to breathe but prevents excess fuel from escaping. The no slop valve just mounts vertically into the cap recess and onto the male vent. I have the factory vent hose, which is connected to nothing at either end, just tucked under the seat. No vacuum problems with my tank and I routinely fill it to its maximum capacity, i.e., 3.2 gallons.

Hope this helps.

P.S. No problems with gas tank venting in almost three years, with the bike left in the sun (in Southern Nevada summers), in the shade, etc. Got a good quality no-slop valve at Cycle Gear and it has never failed.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!

nippybit screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 08:53 PM
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #4424
snakepilot
Adventurer

Cool2

Thanks to all for the replies.

Nippybit, I will probably try that next, or just vent to atmosphere. I had that same setup on my previous bike on a Clark 4.2 gallon tank.

Bartron's "code Orange" thread describes the method I followed for the partial "canirestomy"and so I figured others have done the same. He recommends what you did, OR the in-line valve as I did. Either method accomplishes the same as the valve is supposed to perform the same function, whether is mounted to the gas cap or in-line.
BTW, the expansion has been due to just normal summer riding as I have not parked the bike in the sun for any extended periods. A friend who is a pretty good mechanic and does all the work on his own bikes ( but does not have a KTM) thinks that the amount of pressure that builds up is not sufficient to have a detrimental effect. So far, the bike runs great, but my concern is long term.

snakepilot screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 08:11 AM
Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #4425
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,004
I have been using these for a couple of years with no issues.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

I have three of them on the bike since I am running the Rally Raid tanks. I did a week in Baja with tons of dust. Never a problem.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote